Author Topic: Putting the weight on  (Read 10261 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Putting the weight on
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
It's really telling that the differences between us are what brings us together.  So many are aiming for the lightest board possible, while you're hoping for a board with a bit more "junk in the trunk."  I see the same solution here all the time.  I surf with a guy from time to time at Doheny that has a nice big (10 foot) Blair and he shreds it up on that board, where as Sanosurf rides boards just a hair bigger than my old boogie board and does the same.  Both guys are about the same size.

SUP surfing seems to be a game played in your head, and the goal is to find that purrrrfect shape, size, weight, etc... that works with your conditions.  Stand Leper used to tout the virtues of his very small boards.  Good for him, they'd never work for me.  I think I've gotten pretty close to perfection with my last purchase, but that really only applies to me, in my current physical condition, on the waves I find myself most often riding.  I may think I've "won the game" but I have to realize that it's not the same game you're playing. :) These mental gymnastics must be a windfall for SUP shapers worldwide.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 02:01:04 AM »
  Nice post, Jim.  Like you, I think I'm pretty close to personal perfection, in my case with the B&B.  I got sidetracked by the sunova style but after three sessions realized it's not for me.  someone else?  absolutely.  so, it's back to the B&B, happily (and now weightily).  right now, i've got three of them, two in ri and one in CA, all the same size, since i live in fear of them going out of production or i bust one in half or whatever. 
  the whole weight/lead thing has been a blast.  i love being able to change a board so much for so little.  I mean, the bang for the buck has been tremendous.  you should join us!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
Today, I used a 10" George Greenough 4A swept fin, front pin today
(hadn't been in the water for the last couple of weeks).

I'd never used a GG 4A before - I figured for noseriding it didn't have enough surface area near the tip.
Still, it is such a highly recommended fin that I thought I should try it.
And, I'm glad I did.  It was very crowded so I didn't get many waves to myself but
I did get one awesome ride about shoulder high - it felt different than other noserides - hard to describe -
I was "in the Black" on the B&B, about a foot back from the tip - so no toes over - but
it felt more locked it - kind of sliding at about 45 degrees to the wave/shore - the whole board.  I'm thinking
the smaller tip gives less drive and allows one to slip ("slip" might be a better word than slide - better yet
"side slip") - a bit sideways.
Loved it.

And, still using the extra weight.

Found the big ugly 9.5" black nylon T Tunnel.  Maybe try that next.
Today, I went with the 4A because I figured it would have a lot less paddling drag -
that seemed to be the case.  I like that - less tiring and easier to catch waves in competitive conditions.

Also, got a new-to-me (used) back-up paddle - that I used the first time, today - it is 6" overhead, my normal paddle is 7.25" overhead -
otherwise they are identical QB's.  I was surprised at the different feeling - felt softer....just an inch and a quarter shorter.
I do take the paddle, in the water, around the nose, to turn sometimes and I almost fell in - I guess sometimes with the
shorter paddle, I'll have to pull it out of the water a bit around the nose.  Anyway, liked the shorter one - definitely different.
Maybe I'll mix up using them.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 07:34:21 AM »
  Interesting about the 4A.  There's a lot of love for that fin.  Might have to give it a try one of these days.
  My current love is that longer Captain Fin Dyer brand fin.  For me., it's worked great.  Very pivot-y, esp with the lead on the tail.  I like it as much as the Skeg, if not a little more at this point.  Will have to keep experimenting.
  Today, I had to go up and down a boulder-strewn hill to get to the water and the extra weight of the board nearly did me in.  Funny how much difference 2.5 lbs can make!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 08:29:48 AM »
I do like my 9.75” Mason Dyer Jetson D-Fin - I need to try it with the added weight.
BTW, the rear edge on mine was very sharp so I dulled it down a bit. 
Its a great looking fin.  Gotta to try it again.  So many fins to re-try with the weight.

Yesterday I used the 4A again.  I did get some good pivot turns....not that I was trying
to - just kind of happened - the board just pivoted right into the right place.  I was
a bit surprised given its swept profile.

I hear you with carrying it.  Mostly notice it coming back up the stairs - very slowly.
Ha! I'm pretty picky with parking too - round and round to get a closer spot.
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »
You weightlifters need to buy a cart!

I could actually see a scenario where you have a special recessed pocket at the tail where you can drop your lead sheets in and flip over a kickpad that velcros into place, for a more refined silhouette.  You've got me thinking that I could solve at least some of my tail releasing problems with softer rails and bigger fin.  I doubt I'll ever add weight, mostly because I'm too lazy to bring a cart each trip with my longboard.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:44:50 AM by SlatchJim »

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
That's a great idea, Jim.  I'd love to be able to add and subtract weight.  Must ponder how to do it.  If you've got any other ideas, let's hear em!

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
How about a ballast tank that you can fill/drain with water so you don't have to carry the extra weight to and from the beach?  Maybe a hollow tail with a fill/drain plug?  You only need a little over a quart to get your 2.5 lbs.  I add 2500 lbs. of water to my wakesurf boat, once in the water; I sure wouldn't want to trailer that much extra weight.  ;D

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »
Today, motivated by linter's video 1 for 5 to get five toes over,
I made more of a point to try to get toes over.  I usually go more for
parallel stance as far up on the tip as I can but with no toes over.

I did also think a bit more about stalling and tipping the board to
get more water on the tail, but it is difficult for me because of all the
guys and gals I have to pin ball around in the water.

Today was a fabulous day at about 80 degrees and up to double overhead
(my last wave!  ;D).   Of course, I got better tip time riding some inside
waist to shoulder high waves during a break and after the tide went up
a bit and the wind picked up a bit.

So, I was noticing I was way up there and close enough to put some toes
over and remembered the video and discussion and got five over for
about 3 seconds before kerplunk.  I guess you do have to be willing
to sacrafice a wave (or more).

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
Also today, I was using a 9.75" True Ames Noserider fin that I had
stored away.  I figured I get it out and see if it was up to its
name.  Well, I got five toes over!  I think it does
hold down the tail pretty well.  The other day, there was so
much water on the tail with this fin, the nose went really high - it was very
steep trying to walk up the nose - maybe that is the time
to go for ten - don't know - got to try it next time.

I do think the extra (lead) weight kind of equalizes the big fins - I
seem to see less difference by fin with the extra weight than without
the extra weight on the tail.

Over the past several weeks I also tried a couple of other fins.

I was able to purchase a 9.75” Almond DEE-FIN at a bit of a discount.
It did seem a little more draggy - which is what I was trying for - than
the 8.5" Rainbow D-Fin and the couple of other D fins I have.  Still,
I would say it wasn't that different.

And, I also picked up an old, gnarled 11" Sparky fin (Fibre Glas Fin Co).
Now, I already have a brand new one but couldn't resist - this used one is a bit
bigger at a full 11 inches.  It has a cool old patina - maybe from someone
sanding it on the side or maybe just age but it shows little fiber glass
dots though the back pigment.  Anyway, I cleaned it up a bit but decided
to see how it would do still roughed up somewhat. Whoa,  I really liked it!  Got some good
nose rides - doesn't really pivot but got some great up and down roller
coasters too.  The B&B is surprising in how well it turns when you get back
on the tail - I guess it is the huge tail kick in conjunction with the kind of
pig shape and the 50/50 soft rails.  I got some great rides off that fin!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 02:55:19 AM »
   well, i took off all the weight and love how much more responsive my bnb seems to me now.  otoh, it could be the new fin jimmy sent me -- an updated version of the original BnB fin, made out of something he calls honeycomb, with a much fatter foil.  just super great and holds very well.
   yesterday, i got 2 fives in a row (witnessed by my friend paul!!!!), then a random third, where I could feel the nose of my board beneath the crook of my foot.  triple yay!
   i tried the lead with the new fin but didn't like it.  stripped the weight off and i'm one happy camper.  think i'll be sticking with the jimmy v2 for a while.
   it's great you're making progress, too!  one thing that makes it much easier for me is the lack of crowds, giving me lots of time to set up.  plus the waves here tend to be pretty perfect peelers.  when i return to san diego for the winter and the sectiony beach break and clogged lineup at tourmaline, i'm sure i'll be backsliding right into the drink.  happened to me last year, so i know it's a real possibility.
    keep up the good works and i'm loving the reports!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
Congrats Linter!
You have really progressed!

I agree with the lack of crowds.  I generally surf in very crowded conditions.  So I'm fighting for the takeoff
and, geeze, although I'm often the first up, guys will catch to the left of me and because the break is
a "right" they have better position - rather than "first up," everyone goes by best position.  Sometimes
I'll "go left, then right" - lol - that shocks 'em and lets them know its my wave but I don't do it often...usually
just when I'm taking off on the short board peak - those short boarders swarm at me - they don't care
if I'm up seconds before them.  - Anyways, it can be pretty hectic, especially when the waves are big, which
has been very often this last year, and it doesn't lend itself so much to stalling and setting up the board.
Although I will say, it is a noseriding break - most of the longboarders are trying to nose ride - but I do
note I rarely see anyone get 10 over.

Yes, I was noticing how well lined up the waves were in your video.  We have what I think are fantastic waves
but they aren't quite that lined up.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
Is this the fin?

I see it, not on his U.S. site but it seems to be quoted in pounds.
They have an 11" and a 10" - you probably got the 11" - that is the size of my original one.

"This fin is a template that was used on several of the hot  longboards of the mid ’60s. I’ve designed a thick foil for this fin. Preventing spin ot when you’re on the lip."

Got to search some more.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:50:07 AM by Subber »

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:36 AM »
Is this the fin?

I see it, not on his U.S. site but on a non-U.S. site - it seems to be quoted in pounds.
They have an 11" and a 10" - you probably got the 11" - that is the size of my original one.

"This fin is a template that was used on several of the hot  longboards of the mid ’60s. I’ve designed a thick foil for this fin. preventing spin out when you’re on the lip."

Got to search some more.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »
that's the fin okay, but i'm not sure what size i have, as it doesn't say on the fin itself.  will check w/ jimmy and let you know.  yup, gots a thick foil, which i tend to think is super helpful.

wow, the crowds at your break sound worse even than the ones at tourmaline.  don't envy you.  ugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal