Author Topic: Mana 90 paddle  (Read 5063 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Mana 90 paddle
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »
I posted this in response to the High aspect question, but it seems to make more sense here:

So here's what I think after using the Mana 90 (high aspect) for a few runs now. Understand this is just guesswork aided by a little experience and some basic ideas of what makes a paddle hold or slip.

The Mana has a fierce catch, and the first ten inches of pull are very powerful, then the "set" seems to drop rapidly. I think what is happening is that the reflex curve on the blade tip pulls the blade down into a bubble-free catch. The blade plunges in, you can lean hard on it, and add a lot of power very early. Inertia holds the water somewhat still on the blade. But then the water flowing off the dihedral pushes water sideways on the blade and the edge just isn't as far as it is on the Konihi or standard blades, so the water runs off the edges as slip. So the blade feels small in the middle of the stroke.

The reflex curve of the tip and the offset angle combine to give a nice exit, even if you don't feather the blade while it's still in the water. If you start to feather early the blade corkscrews out vigorously.

The wings on the blade are subtle, and run longer along the blade edge than on the Konihi. I think the wings make the blade wobble-proof, and conduct any air and/or vortex up the edges of the blade and out next to the shaft. At least that's what it looks like from the top of the water.  It would be good to see some video of this blade under water.

I'm not sure this would be a good flatwater paddle. I hope someone who does a lot of that tries it soon. I see Rob Rohas is using Ke Nalu now, it would be a good idea to get some Mana's in his hands and see what he thinks in the flats. I suspect that there's a little too much dihedral on this blade and therefore too much slip for it to be as efficient as the standard Konihi, but I'm just guessing (so what else is new). But that super early, super hard catch really helps when you want to get into a swell. For that reason I think it might be a hell of a good surf paddle too. Decreasing the dihedral and relying on the wings to control the paddle might restore the mid-stroke power. Or I could be just talking through my hat.

Oh, and the little wings make for spectacular bracing with no control issues. the Konihis brace like crazy, but are too sudden for my taste (and balance) but the Mana seems just as powerful, but totally controllable. No grab, just a lot of power.

So my conclusion is that so far, this is one hell of a good DW paddle, if you use the right technique with it--which is reach way out, and dab hard and fast. Popped me into stuff yesterday that i thought i would never catch. I switched from Xtuf(S) to 100Flex and I like it better. the blade doesn't need the little hesitation to catch. It's ALL catch. Didn't hurt my shoulders at all. the rest of me is one huge cramp. but my fragile shoulders feel brand new.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Mana 90 paddle
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »
Thanks for the review. I totally agree regarding the bracing. I did a couple of strong bracing last downwind and I was just totally putting my weight and it was super stable and I could just go back to balance without any problem. I just received a Mana 82 that I want to compare to the Konihi 84 for flat water. Interesting about the 100Flex versus Xtuf(s). I will check if I still have a 100Flex shaft that is long enough to try.
Cheers,
Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »
Here is a pic of my new Mana 82 which will replace my trusty Ho'olua. The gouge was from hitting black ice.

No DW, no surfing, no racing just many many miles and days of FW.

Will report as soon as I get some sessions in on the Bay of Pleasantness.

I am pleased with the higher aspect and will see how it feels compared to other high aspect paddles I have borrowed or own. I did not care for the Konihi fluttering in my demos.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Just finished the initial paddle on a calm lake on my JP 12'6" Race.

Strong initial catch - felt like a bigger paddle. Quiet on entry and very stable. Have paddled Werner, QB, Kialoa high aspect paddles.

Not quite as long as the Kialoas, felt ergonomically similar to a QB 81 Trifecta I have demo'd a few times.

Nothing like a new toy! Has immediately become my favorite. Will have to try it on the Bluefin 14..

75 for surfin' !!!  Make it Lane!!

I went so fast I was Beaning - scared the beavers, egrets, and swans!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:54:04 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
Oooo Ahhhhh yipeee Mr. Big!! I'm totally loving my Mana 90. It took awhile to get used to the "strong catch" you mention after paddling my Konihi 95 for so long. I totally agree though. Super stable and the catch is instantaneous. What a powerhouse of a paddle. Don't feel like I've given up any horsepower at all coming from the Konihi 95 but it has increased my cadence.  I've only had it out a handful of times and look forward to dialing it in even more. Great addition to the lineup of KeNalu paddles. Let us know how it works with the 14er.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 05:13:21 PM »
I did another 1:16 Viento run today, so it wasn't a fluke. I looked back at my previous best Vientos--1:23.  A seven-minute difference is a lot for a paddle on an 8.4-mile run. I'm sure conditions played a part.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »
It's the shoes Mike, it's the shoes 👞!! ;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 08:05:36 AM »
Well I liked this rascal so much I took out the Focus Bluefin 14' for a Pleasant Bay cardio rehab session.

Paddle into wind, chop, current, and boat wakes for 1.5 miles turn around and the poor man's down breezer express on the return!

Actually have data from my Vivioavtive gadget.
 1.49 miles out
 pace of 27.54
 hr av 122
 hr pk 139

1.49 miles back
 pace of 19.23
 hr av 134
 ht pk 145

Faster with the wind. Duh! Paddling faster with the wind. Duh!

The small high aspect blade is tremendous in these conditions. Bracing, dabbing, bogus Tahitian stroke, easy peasy with the Mana. Way more fun than my Kialoa as it is not as long, but a huge improvement over the aspect ratio of the Ho'olua..

Once I got the Blue Monstah up to speed it was easy to maintain it.

I even think Gen 2 winglets are up to something.

No Napa edge guards, no electrical tape, no jegs door edge tape, no RSP kool aid overpriced stuff.

Naked blade baby!

Let it come to you..
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 08:28:37 AM »
I can hold a crazy level of effort with this paddle, chasing down stuff that got away with ten or twelve hard, fast, short strokes. It's making me do that because it works. With an ordinary Ke Nalu I can't do that, but with this crazy thing I can. My hands are blistered, my abs are still twitching, and my shoulders feel fine. I had my heart rate monitor on, and the most I got to was 114 after falling. Getting back on the board is harder than going fast. This is some nutty shit.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 08:45:56 AM »
Sounds like Mana Mania is taking hold across the globe...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
I even think Gen 2 winglets are up to something.

No Napa edge guards, no electrical tape, no jegs door edge tape, no RSP kool aid overpriced stuff.

Naked blade baby!

I didn't think of that. Of course the winglets will mitigate rail whacks. No sharp edge for most of the blade. Hmmm.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
I just got the 81 Mana for surfing and am really liking it. At first, I thought it was too small, but now I realize that it is so smooth, it just feels much smaller than my 84 blade.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 10:21:57 AM »
Try just reaching way out and giving three or four sharp, short pulls and let me know if it feels stronger. I don't think this paddle is good for everything, but I might be wrong. Sure is different.

Tom started the endless Ke Nalu paddle thread back when I was still involved in the biz. I doubt this one will go on as long, but the paddles are better now than they were then. Nice to see the company doing well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:26:19 AM by PonoBill »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 01:29:42 PM »
My point I'm  trying  to  make  is  that  I'm  sure  I  get  the  same  power  from  the  paddle , it  just  doesn't  seem  like  it  because  cause  it  feels  so  much  smoother . That's  a  good  thing .

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 03:01:38 PM »
I understand. But just try that odd tappity tap kind of super short stroke. Don't go by how it feels--see if it gets you into more waves. I expect that the first ten times it does you'll think it's a fluke. I certainly did catching downwind swells. "Oh, I guess I would have caught that anyway". It's just too strange.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal