Author Topic: Hauling your board in short bed pickup  (Read 57580 times)

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Hauling your board in short bed pickup
« on: July 30, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »
I have an 11' 0" Isle Glider that I have been hauling down to the bay on roof racks with my Explorer. Yesterday I traded the Explorer for a short bed F150 (our pre-retirement upgrade) and I'm looking at how I'm going to haul the board now. I bought a Dakine tailgate pad but with the tail of the board tucked into the front corner of the bed there is still 5' of board sticking up in the air.

I can lash the tail down so it can't fly out but I'm worried about this much board sticking up in the air at freeway speeds damaging the board.

Anyone have any experience with hauling a board like this? I am trying to avoid buying a rack for the bed but I'll do that if I have to...

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hauling your board in short bed pickup
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
Being damaged from freeway speeds shouldn't be a concern. Just be sure to weight down the board so it doesn't fly out. A bungee at the back and wetsuits, towels, etc placed on the board towards the front and you're fine. When I haul my 10-6 in my Tacoma short bed I never have problems.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »
I've been hauling my 12'6" Starboard Tourning in my Ranger.  About 6' is out the back.  Uncovered for the 3 minute trip on country roads to the local lake and in a Pro-Lite Session Day bag for longer trips and freeway/highway travel.  So far, so good.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 12:41:26 PM »
buy a rack either for the roof or the bed.  that sticks too far out and sooner or later it will likely get you a ticket aside from the risk of it blowing out even if it is roped in. IMHO
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 01:02:52 PM »
Id be a lot more concerned about the forces acting on the board going over bumps....Evan at relatively slow speeds.
You have the nose tied down and forces trying to break the candaliverd part of the board over the tailgate. Drop the tailgate and pick up another couple feet of support.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
My Mitsu Raider with a short bed has carried 12'6" Raceboards, and 14' Raceboards with no issues.

However, I am the king of low budget and have learned the most important thing is to have the ass end bungeed so that the board cannot move at all over bumps.

I put the fin end in first with the fin up and put two small cords attached to the fin and going through the leash cord string (ALWAYS USE ONE!)..

Next I cross a bungee cord from each corner of the truck nearest the fin end to the front.

Finally, two cords near the tailgate.

My fashion accessory is a Yakima Tail Gate Pad $29 which supports the board with a nice cushy pad at the point where it needs the most support.

This may seem like overkill, but believe me when I tell you it is not!

Current setup evolved from the Jimmy Lewis minimalist approach which does not work when you are four wheeling on the Outer Beach to surf with the Landlords!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:46:22 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Dkyachtphoto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
Ever think about getting one of these bed extenders? I've used this one for years, and works great! Darby Extend-A-Truck 944 4-Feet Truck Bed Extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008BKX5/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_4drNxbSXW32AX

Dave

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 02:36:34 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions.

I did order a Dakine tailgate pad already and it has a strap to lash the front of the board. I thought I'd load it fin up and to the front of the bed. I have a couple tie down loops in the bed at the bottom/front of the bed so I can put a tie down (I prefer these over bungees) on the back of the board in front of the fin. That should eliminate any chance of the board getting airborne. My trip to the bay is relatively smooth but does have 10+ miles of freeway each way so airborne is as much of a concern as the loading from bumps. If I ever think I'll have to go on rough roads with the board or if I see the board bouncing I'll go for a bed rack...

Regarding things hanging out the back, I can put a piece of the heavy duty Velcro on the nose and attach my "remove before flight" streamer to meet California regs (though I see so many trucks with wood, carpet, whatever hanging out I don't imagine this is a rule that gets much attention).

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »
Here's my time, distance and quiver tested solution:  Pressure treated 2x4's, thru bolted with Galv bolts, coated with a nice deck stain, padded with pipe insulation which is attached with Gorilla tape, and held on with the standard clamps used to hold truck caps onto the bed of the truck.  12+ hour road trips over the last several years, rustic, but effective.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 03:11:23 PM »
When I had a short bed pick up, I put the nose in the truck bed.  A line was tied around the fin and secured to the "D" rings, at the front of the bed.  A red flag, available at Home Depot, was secured onto the leash line.  I think the legal distance is 3 feet.  But, be sure.  Look it up for your state.
One vacation we drove from Huntington Beach to Monterey CA and back with the board like that.  The board made it through fine.

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
Jarvissup - that is a classic look. Nicely done!

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-74801-01A-X-Tender-Black/dp/B0072U6PQO/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1469921205&sr=8-44&keywords=truck+bed+accessories

This is what I have. Works great for extending the bed to haul boards. Creates a nice little pocket in the back of the bed for groceries, itc when its flipped back into the bed with the tailgate up
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »
I've been hauling my 12'6" Starboard Tourning in my Ranger.  About 6' is out the back.  Uncovered for the 3 minute trip on country roads to the local lake and in a Pro-Lite Session Day bag for longer trips and freeway/highway travel.  So far, so good.

Sorry, neglected to mention using a FCS Tailgate pad as the primary and rope to nose is secondary. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 06:44:19 PM »
Get a rack. You'll sleep better.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ruralwaters

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »

Regarding things hanging out the back, I can put a piece of the heavy duty Velcro on the nose and attach my "remove before flight" streamer to meet California regs (though I see so many trucks with wood, carpet, whatever hanging out I don't imagine this is a rule that gets much attention).

Here is the CA vehicle code:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/trucks/overhang.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal