Author Topic: SUP HighAspect paddle – good choice?  (Read 1059 times)

JoeMo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUP HighAspect paddle – good choice?
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
Hey, I am currently using a Quickblade Kanaha AC 100 (flatwater tourung/race). Excellent paddle but too exhausting on distances >10km.

Now trying to find the best solution…
-   HighAspect (like Starboard Bolt)
-   Teardrop 90 square inch
-   Or keep practicing with the 100 blade, it’s gonna be fine  ;)

Testing HighAspect paddle doesn’t help a lot. I think it will take some time to adapt the different technique.

What is your opinion about HighAspect paddle?
Just for constant high stroke rates on very long distances?
What about HighAspect paddles with large blades (90square inch)? Does that make sense at all?

Cheers, have fun

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP HighAspect paddle – good choice?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »
I didn't like them at first, but the new Ke Nalu Mana 90 has been a revelation. I thought all Ke Nalus had an early catch until I experienced this thing. Great paddle. One unexpected benefit is very powerful and controllable bracing in any direction, even back bracing is powerful enough to get me back on the board at angles that previously would have ended with an inevitable splash. Did a ridiculous recovery yesterday that still has me grinning.

You're right about the demo. My first try with it, I said "Meh. Smooth, but so what." Then I took seven minutes off my fastest Viento time with a mediocre run. I'm doing two downwinders today and tomorrow in 35+ wind. Can't wait to see what happens, though I suspect my time will be compromised by lots of falls in the extreme conditions.

Kahana is a great shape, by the way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
We like the old 78 SB HA for distance as it has a nice comfortable balance of catch and power phase.  We also have something like the Kanaha which works perfect for DW and is 116.  That bigger blade is interestingly the best blade to use on our very easy to propel 23" board. 

But if you keep practicing without injury with your Kanaha you probs are "gonna be fine".  There is a substantial power difference between the old SB HA 78 and 85 and 93.  We started with the 116 Vantage R8.5 from day one and use it the most.  We went to smaller blades for the exact reason you note.  Our smallest is 67.

It seems blade area and shape and blade angle are quite personal and subjective for what works best for you.  Shaft length and flex also impact comfort and power.  So is it a HA good choice - well that depends.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »
So here's what I think after using the Mana 90 (high aspect) for a few runs now. Understand this is just guesswork aided by a little experience and some basic ideas of what makes a paddle hold or slip.

The Mana has a fierce catch, and the first ten inches of pull are very powerful, then the "set" seems to drop rapidly. I think what is happening is that the reflex curve on the blade tip pulls the blade down into a bubble-free catch. The blade plunges in, you can lean hard on it, and add a lot of power very early. Inertia holds the water somewhat still on the blade. But then the water flowing off the dihedral pushes sideways on the blade and the edge just isn't as far as it is on the Konihi or standard blades, so the water runs off the edges as slip. So the blade feels small in the middle of the stroke.

The reflex curve of the tip and the offset angle combine to give a nice exit, even if you don't feather the blade while it's still in the water. If you start to feather early the blade corkscrews out vigorously.

The wings on the blade are subtle, and run longer along the blade edge than on the Konihi. I think the wings make the blade wobble-proof, and conduct any air and/or vortex up the edges of the blade and out next to the shaft. At least that's what it looks like from the top of the water.  It would be good to see some video of this blade under water.

I'm not sure this would be a good flatwater paddle. I hope someone who does a lot of that tries it soon. I see Rob Rohas is using Ke Nalu now, it would be a good idea to get some Mana's in his hands and see what he thinks in the flats. I suspect that there's a little too much dihedral on this blade and therefore too much slip for it to be as efficient as the standard Konihi, but I'm just guessing (so what else is new). But that super early, super hard catch really helps when you want to get into a swell. For that reason I think it might be a hell of a good surf paddle too. Decreasing the dihedral and relying on the wings to control the paddle might restore the mid-stroke power. Or I could be just talking through my hat.

Oh, and the little wings make for spectacular bracing with no control issues. the Konihis brace like crazy, but are too sudden for my taste (and balance) but the Mana seems just as powerful, but totally controllable. No grab, just a lot of power.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal