Author Topic: Maui Sessions - Video  (Read 7350 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Maui Sessions - Video
« on: July 29, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »
Aloha,

Playing around with narration in this video, appreciate any feedback on what you liked or tips on what can be done to improve.

A week in Maui, at least one session a day everyday.  Great to be on this part of Maui with swell, we were bookeneded with two good swells, I was thinking of doing a Maliko and with all wave action it was easier to stay local and ride the ground swell.  Amazing people, island, and trip.

I hope you enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SNw9wwsk40
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Maui Sessions - Video
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »
Nice work Clay. I lost a few center fins over the years. I always think 'Man, I'm surfing like crap". Then I realize at some point that my fin is either dangling or gone.  I'm the other way with the wetsuit. I rarely wear them. A vest or spring suit mid winter, but that's usually it. I have a 3/2 fullsuit I've worn maybe 20 times. The pulled in tails are more tippy. Like you said, they go rail to rail quicker and carve better.

Looks like you had a great trip.... Lucky!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 04:40:54 PM »
Wow, nice video! Really, really liked that. Saw a few of my favorite west side spots in there. Surprised I didn't run into you while you were here. I am going to watch again as soon as I finish typing this!

You scored some nice clean conditions. Up towards Lahaina, it seems to hold off getting windy some days in the afternoon when everywhere else is a loss. So that day you suited up for hot sun, you actually had pretty nice conditions it looked like.

We have been blessed with many small kine days on the west side now for weeks. Smaller SSW or S background swell, sometimes only a foot and a half but with a nice 15+ second interval, has made the w side super fun. I have completely abandoned my SUS board and gone prone. In that surf, it is so much fun on a narrow board that still catches a lot.

I have my SUS set up as a quad which gives the narrow tail enough purchase but keeps it very loose and fast. I love that setup. You were looking very good on that board, even with no center fin. I like narrow, surfy pin tails in our waves here. 808 has some great rentals in their fleet. Lots of Bill Foote boards which work very well. Good shop. Looks like you had a great trip.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
Really cool vid, Clay, Thanks!

Looks like the second venue was close to Launiupoko, where we hung out last year.  I also lost a fin, one from a quad, so my board was listing a bit for the rest of the session.

You had nice waves and glass, though.  Our waves were so-so with chop.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
The narration was perfect. Laid back. Fit the scene. Well done.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 08:48:32 PM »
I enjoyed watching your video. It was nice to hear your narrative as you surfed your waves. I paid close attention to your foot work. BTW, you did a real nice job with only two side biters when you lost your center fin. I hope you make more narrative videos.

Thanks for sharing this video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 12:32:26 AM »
Super cool video. Narration definitely adds a dimension to it and put it in context.
One thing though, not a criticism but a feature request, I would love it if for every spot on the vid,
The opening shot would be  a zoom into a stylish map that marks the spot on the map, dissolving into
The footage. I'm now on Maui and I would love to check out all these spots, would make a lot easier.

Hope you did get to do Maliko, it's at a definite peak these days according to Riggs.
from yesterday's run...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:34:30 AM by burchas »
in progress...

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 01:27:33 AM »
Nice, captivating video Clay. The narration was well done and of course the camerawork is superb as usual.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

Timi

• Waikiki Status
  • Endless summer dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:09:24 AM »
Very nice vid! Keep'em coming!

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 03:20:48 AM »
Agree on the narration.... a good tool for the edit room!

My favorite was the friendly welcome at the new break.... nice to hear good vibrations  :)

How was it, getting the mounts off the rental? I know they tend to take paint with them when popped off.

Nice surfing Clay.... looks like an awesome trip!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »
Very nice. You have a good voice for narration.

If you go a little further west from the spot you were first surfing you come to one of my favorite breaks--I call it "hole in the wall",  a slot through the Lahaina reef.  Very fun, very hard on fins if you get it wrong. Not Covesurfer's favorite place though. He accused me of trying to kill him. Sort of a "wave of consequence", small kine. Not really that hard to manage and he did fine with it, once he stopped bitching.

That was obviously a Foote board. I like how responsive they are, even in larger sizes. I've also lost the center fin and continued to have a nice session. Led me to go much smaller on the center fin. I went all the way down to three inches before reverting to a four or a six depending on how skiddy I feel.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 08:12:13 AM »
@burchas,

That's a nice photo you posted. I liked it so much, I decided to copy and save it and it is my new Desktop photo.

Thanks for sharing it.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »
I would love it if for every spot on the vid,
The opening shot would be  a zoom into a stylish map that marks the spot on the map, dissolving into

Guessing Clay left out the spot names and locations on purpose.  Even though Maui is much more open to sharing spots than say Kauai, it's still the respectful thing to do. 

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
Thanks for all the great feedback, much appreciated.

TallDude - yes exactly.  How do you protect your skin from deck pad rash?  At one point caught inside I hugged the tail of my board and after my arm looked like I had a disk sander in a headlock.

coversurfer - I hear you.  The prone shortboard spot there looked so good several times I wish I had brought a shortboard.  June was one of the most consistent months of S swell I can remember.

SUPcheat - yes and I agree.

Badger - Thanks!

Night Wing - Thanks I plan to.

burchas - thanks that was my intent.  Glad to hear you are scoring Maliko.  As to spots I suggest asking a local guide or shop, most spots are easy to find and figure out by watching other surfers.

Paul - Thanks a bunch!

Timi - Thanks I will!

Rick - Thanks!  GoPro 3M VHB is pretty easy to remove cleanly, there is a video tutorial on the interwebs.  I use a flat scraper/wax comb/spatula and a little olive oil or coconut oil and they come right of in a minute or 2, and the mount is reusable by replacing the adhesive.

Bill - Thanks, appreciate the compliments.  Yes Foote 10x32.  In kelpy SC those smaller center fins are nice also.

digger71 - yes that's it exactly.  One reason I really love downwinding, the playing "field" is so much bigger and the territory unconfined to a sandbar or reef or point.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
Great video. Loved every second. I have had so much fun on the westide on summer vacations.

I agree the first place you surfed is hard to read, compared to Lpoko. Seemed like I got 1:5 ration of liner:closeouts last time I was there.

Going out at low tide Lpoko, can be a little iffy for your fins/feet. I found the sandy south entrance much better, but then you have to paddle to the good waves.

Just yesterday I asked my wife to check prices for 2 weeks for a condo at spot #1 ($5200), but from that spot you can paddle to lots of action.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal