Author Topic: Trying to get into SUP  (Read 4569 times)

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Trying to get into SUP
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »
Hey guys, I'm like half way between the lakes region and the seacoast of NH. I was looking to see if there was anyone around here that was into SUP. I'm trying to get into it but it is anot expensive hobby to break into. Wanted to talk to people and get advice, or see if anyone had any bigood used boards for sale (I'm not the smallest person)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trying to get into SUP
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:14:23 AM »
Probably the cheapest way to go is to get a Wavestorm SUP from Costco.  Here on the west coast it's $300 for everything you need, board, paddle, leash.  Surprisingly, the boards are not too bad to ride; not high performance, but workable.  Big, stable, lots of float, an excellent beginner board, IMO. 

If you want to be more serious and spend a little more money for a better performing board, contact JimK or Sup-Position here on the Zone.  Both are sponsor/dealers and will point you in the right direction.   JimK is on your coast and Sup-Position is on my coast.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:20:49 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »
Go see Dave Cropper at Cinammon Rainbows Surf in Hampton Beach!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
How big of a board are you looking for and how much do you weigh?

There are usually some pretty good deals on NH Craiglist. You have to check it often because the good boards sell fast. Search the words Paddleboard SUP.

Like Cleveland said, go check out Cinnamon Rainbows at the Wall in Hampton. They have a huge selection of new and used boards as well as free demos every Tuesday and Friday.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:06:50 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »

Like Cleveland said, go check out Cinnamon Rainbows at the Wall in Hampton. They have a huge selection of new and used boards as well as free demos every Tuesday and Friday.

+1 for CR. Plus they have a great beginner break basically right in front of the shop.
Bunch of old shit

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 04:47:40 PM »
Cool, I will have to check them out too. I was looking at summer sessions because they sell riviera boards so I was going to try and pick up the touring model. They said if I paid retail price I would get a bunch of accessories and one of the Riviera branch paddles with it. I'm about 280lbs so need a bigger board. Also trying to stay fairly low budget wise. I'm open to other suggestions though so feel free to give them all. I do have somewhat decent balance from years of longboarder skateboarding.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 02:49:25 AM »
Hi Zombie, welcome to the Zone!

Are you looking to paddle flat-water only, or do you want a SUP for surf. or both?

Lots of options in any direction, and all are different.

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 05:48:24 AM »
I'll mostly be in lakes and streams. I don't want to buy a wet suit quite yet and I'm a weenie when it comes to really cold water. I would like to eventually do more Ocean based stuffor though.

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
Be careful in streams.  Shallow water and submerged rocks don't make for a good experience when you fall.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »
Or with your fins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bunch of old shit

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 09:03:31 AM »
Streams generally have submerged root balls, partly submerged "strainers" (trees partly fallen in the water) and other stuff that can grab a leash and pull you under. Don't SUP in a stream with a leash unless it's a quick release type with a handle you can reach without having to bend (no ankle or calf leash). The typical outfit for whitewater applies to most streams unless you don't mind bruises and joint injuries: Full wetsuit -- more for bump protection than cold-- kneepads, elbow pads, PFD, booties and helmet.

In other words, stick to lakes, at least in the beginning.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
Sounds like a good place for an inflatable.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 12:51:12 PM »
It shouldn't be too horrible. I was thinking about doing a stretch of the Salmon falls river, just kind of cruise through it slow and enjoy the ride.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »
Salmon Falls is a good easy river. Just watch out for submerged trees, as well as giant Sturgeon (don't worry they can't hurt you). Bow Lake might be good. I've been thinking of paddling Pawtuckaway. I've done the upper and lower Lamprey a few times, as well as the Exeter River. I mostly stick to salt water for flatwater like the Great Bay Estuary, Brave Boat Harbor in Kittery is one of my favorites, Portsmouth Harbor, Little Harbor, Rye Harbor, Hampton Harbor and the ocean when it's flat like it is now. If there's swell, I'm surfing.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:24:09 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 04:28:46 PM »
JimK from Extreme Windsurfing may be the best person to talk to about Big Boy SUPs.... he is bigger than you and is as knowledgeable as any person I have met in the SUP industry.

I weighed 285 lbs when I started... JimK spent over an hour on the phone with me....  explaining and helping.
We  have been friends ever since.
Jim is a Zone sponsor and has great prices for Zoners.
His Shop # (609) 641-4445

He just got a Starboard Avanti (in carbon)
My 1st board was an Avanti. 11'2 x 36" wide 230 liters
Great big guy board.... stable as can be, paddles nicely and surfs great as well. They have been around for years.... you may be able to find a used one.

Just 1 of the many boards out there... have a look around....
maybe rent one or take a lesson to get a feel for what some different boards feel like.

Get something and get going!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal