Author Topic: It's a TRAP!!!  (Read 2142 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
It's a TRAP!!!
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
A perfect storm of tool seduction. Stacy, the wonderful person who is helping me clean and organize my shop--let me rephrase that--who is cleaning and organizing my shop, found four more sanders to put in the drawer with the other nine or ten. I pulled the best of them out yesterday and cobbled a connection to my shop vac, replaced the bag and filter, and used it to sand the carbon foils. I wore a respirator and cotton coveralls, and roasted. Last night I took three showers and itched all night.

This morning while I was headed back to the house to drop off Diane I stopped at the paint store here in Hood River to get disposable coveralls and a head sock. Against the wall was a big display of Festool sanders and equipment. they just started to carry them, and have a full lineup of sanders, all sizes of HEPA vacs, and all the accessories and disks.   I looked them over, talked to the clerk about them, discovered I missed a demo that morning by the rep. Then I remembered Diane was in the car and it's already 90 degrees in HR. Paid for my stuff and dashed out. She'd been on the phone, but was just getting ready to come drag me out of the store. "you left the dog in the car" says she.

I told her about the festools and what they do. She said "for gods sake, just get one. You buy three pieces of crap before you finally invest in the right thing."

I didn't say "more like twelve". I also greatly appreciated the magic word "invest". So I barely stopped at the house long enough for her to jump out of the truck and went back.

Did a quick little test without putting all the duds on. Damn. I'll still use the respirator and coveralls, but I probably don't need to. Remarkable.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:18:13 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: It's a TRAP!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »
They do these things just to screw with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »
Yeah, Festool is definitely spendy but it is amazingly good stuff.  I used their track saw in the past and it's awesome.  I have heard nothing but great things regarding the sanders.  Respirator maybe, but you definitely don't need the coveralls any more.

Some pros who do custom built ins use them because there is no clean up in an existing house

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
There was a good housepainter I know in the paint store who told me he bought a setup last week and used it to sand three porches on a house he's doing. Said he hardly needed to wipe down the wood before painting.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »
Their dust capture is that good? Is it because it's portable and tied into their tools? I'm getting ready to buy/build a workshop shed and plan on a full dust collection system....but I'm also doing over the interior of our house, new kitchen, adding a bathroom, and changing from stained woodwork to painted so lots of sanding and painting to be done. Wondering if a  Festool sander and dust collector would be worth the "investment"....  ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jt737

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 04:14:54 AM »
Re sanding carbon - apply a liberal dose of talcum ( baby) powder on any areas of skin that could get dust on. Works a treat to stop itching.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:45 AM »
Yes, the dust capture is good, nothing like any other sander I've used, there's still a little dust kicked around, but it's minuscule. The sander itself is much better built than most, two-speed gearbox, very solid variable speed control, and lots of pad options. I don't think it would replace central dust collection in a frequently-used shop, but for my use it's perfect. Definitely an investment. though. I paid about $1200 for a sander, dust collection vac, and a bunch of pads and disks.

I'm going to build adapters for my frequently used stuff, like my belt grinder and saws. I doubt it will be as effective as the designed-in stuff, but better than what they have now.

The integration is cool too. The vac is variable speed, and when you turn on the sander, the vac comes on. Makes for a lot less noise.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal