Author Topic: Ke Nalu Blade edge question  (Read 10457 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ke Nalu Blade edge question
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:54:20 AM »
Hey Guys-

I just got a new Wiki blade and it has a VERY sharp raised edge as the blade transtions to the shaft,

I also just went down to a 105 ltr board (im 210lbs) so im doing ALOT of paddle whacking...Even with RS Pro the sharp raised seam on the blade cuts right through the RS pro and into the carbon like an ice cream scoop :o

I havent taken the combo back out with major fear of damaging the board.  My old Maliko blade is completely smooth.  (Pictures below for comparison.

Can i sand down this seam? this blade is useless to me because i cant have it even come close to the board without damage- (im trying to eliminate paddle whacks but i have this board 80% underwater...)
Please help!

Red circle is the raised seam and yellow is smooth seam on Maliko

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Ke Nalu Blade edge question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:36:02 AM »
Wait for Lane or Bill to chime in but it looks like it just didn't get ground down well enough after coming out of the mold....you should be able to just sand it smooth.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 06:45:09 AM »
Absolutely you can sand it. These blades come finished out of the mold, final step is just to grind away the flash at the edges. You want the leave a little ridge--it makes the paddle stronger, but you can smooth it out and round the edges without any bad effect.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 06:54:20 AM »
awesome...thanks Pono!

Any particular sandpaper grit or technique you reccomennd?  Dremel, hand etc?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 07:06:56 AM »
By hand--you don't want to take off all the ridge. Lots of strength there. The factory tries to get it smooth without removing too much. I'd start with 120 and finish with 220. Wrap it around something the size of a pill bottle. I'd say you can take about half of that ridge off without compromising strength too much. You can also tape that section with stretchy electrical tape. The effect on the blade will be minimal in that area, mostly just a little added weight. 

I'm a terrible rail whacker myself. I consider RSPro to be a requirement for any of my boards. The two boards that don't have it (SIC 11'11" Recon and Starboard 12'2") look like Beavers have been at them.

Lane is the actual expert on these things, I'm no longer involved in the company, but I don't think he has time to get on the Zone very often. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:12:27 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »
I just want to give a shout out to Lane and KeNalu for their AWESOME forever Paddle program.  In the past year I had a handle fail as well as a blade.- Only one of these was a MFG error. the other was just use- and Lane and Ke Nalu came through with their 'forever paddle' program.

They have definetely have earned a log term customer.  This is my second 'full' paddle made of at least 7-9 parts.  and the fact that they offer this program and the components are interchangeable says a lot for their company.  If this was any other paddle co. I would be down 2k in complete paddles!

I have no affiliation with them- just a fan.  Well done Ke Nalu.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 02:15:22 PM »
I just want to give a shout out to Lane and KeNalu for their AWESOME forever Paddle program.  In the past year I had a handle fail as well as a blade.- Only one of these was a MFG error. the other was just use- and Lane and Ke Nalu came through with their 'forever paddle' program.

Ahhhh!  Good info...thanks.  I hadn't heard about that program.  The edge of my Konihi got smashed up from me bashing the rail of my wide SIMS.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal