Author Topic: SUP death in San Diego bay  (Read 3354 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP death in San Diego bay
« on: July 27, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
And we have another:

http://www.supthemag.com/news/man-dies-paddling-san-diego-bay/#hPpdIeSLL2xlFMjH.97

Not many details yet.  I've paddled in the bay (not to be confused with Mission Bay) and I can say it  get's pretty rough and windy sometimes.  Maybe he didn't have a PFD and is not a good swimmer, maybe he fell and klunked his head, any # of things could have happened. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:48:06 PM by surf4food »

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP death in San Diego bay
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »
sounds strange  the water is warm  he was out with friends   i wonder if he had other unknown health issues,   still  it is sad
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
sounds strange  the water is warm  he was out with friends   i wonder if he had other unknown health issues,   still  it is sad

As of yet there are no further details.  I've paddled in the bay (not to be confused with Mission Bay) and I can say it get's pretty rough and windy sometimes (depending where you are).  Not to mention boat traffic.  Perhaps he didn't have a PFD on and isn't a good swimmer.  And/or he fell and hit his head.  Any # of possibilities. 

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
Since the paddler was 23 years old, I'm "guessing" he fell off his sup, hit his head on the board knocking him unconscious and he drowned.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 03:48:12 AM »
Since the paddler was 23 years old, I'm "guessing" he fell off his sup, hit his head on the board knocking him unconscious and he drowned.

You've been watching too many Baywatch re-runs. Everyone on that show that was ever shown on a board, kayak, sailboat or anything else that floats fell off and was knocked unconscious. Hollywood fantasy.

Not at all saying this tragedy was caused by drugs and/or alcohol, but when I see one of these "unexplained" things happen to a otherwise healthy young adult, especially in a group, the possibility needs to be considered. Along with: Could they swim? were they physically fit? and a host of other questions.

Unfortunately we often never find out the real reason as the media usually goes straight for the dramatic, rather reporting the facts that could save someone else from suffering the same fate.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 09:40:50 AM »
I always think of falling and getting knocked unconscious too, maybe since that's something that could trump leashes, swimming ability, pfds...  But yes, SUPflorida, I don't think I could hit my head on the board if I tried.  You'd pretty much have to fall straight back, arching your back to hit head first, and countering every instinct that naturally has you land on a shoulder. 

My best guess is the obvious one--couldn't swim.  If you're in a group, and everyone wants to go out, you don't want to be the one to say you're not comfortable in the water.  Or if you do, people tell you not to worry, you won't fall, we'll be right there, etc.  Alcohol could definitely make it worse--impact on performance, and the initial decision to go out--but lack of swimming ability would be enough.

Obviously no leash since divers were involved--bad because they had to have got the boards somewhere that should have known better.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 01:44:10 PM »
So sad.

And most likely so preventable.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 06:13:50 PM »
San Diego bay has been my go to paddle spot but a good bit south of where this guy drowned. After Memorial day the boat traffic really goes up and at least for me that is the toughest thing to deal with - especially if a couple boats towing knee boards buzz by - that'll get me swimming... Since he was here as a tourist, he may not have been aware of the traffic - or even had much experience on a SUP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal