Author Topic: Nuke+ in the gorge  (Read 18440 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Nuke+ in the gorge
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »
If you're within a few hundred miles of the gorge, today is a good day to hat up and do a downwinder. It's 7:38 and the swell in the river is already monstrous. I'm going for at least a double. I'm headed up to the shop to mount the 360 cam and I won't forget the speedcoach today. I'm very interested to see what my time is with the Mana 90. I was completely blown away yesterday by the bump catching ability. I think Lane has a winner here.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Nuke+ in the gorge
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:52:37 AM »
I won't forget the speedcoach today. I'm very interested to see what my time is with the Mana 90.

Yes please.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:39 AM »
Always nukes when I'm headed out of town for work!
Yesterday was fun, but it's funny how jaded I get this time of year.  20-30 kts is fun, but not as much fun as it was a few months ago. Looks raging today, have fun!
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
A Gorge rager. Gotta love those days.

I'm going to miss the race this year due to a couple of 'perfect storm' issues involving dentistry costs, spousal grandchildren trips and timing. Funny how much I miss those great summer Gorge days. Nothing like it. Have fun out there and be safe.

Thanks for the Mana 90 report, I'm looking for a new blade.

Not much happening on this side of the pond, the M2M (V.2) and M4M were cancelled due to TS Darby. Lots of rain, a little wind and plenty of brown water. Hopefully, M2O will be epic, for those that are doing it. We've had mixed SW swell for weeks, sometimes it gets really good but in between, there is always small surf - more fun on a prone than a standup.

Go load up, you aren't getting any younger.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 01:27:30 PM »
Well, that was fun.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 05:00:50 PM »
Today is in competition for best day of the season, so far. Maybe the fact that I am now in better shape than I was earlier also helped. It was windy, but not the windiest day by any means. Just really well defined swell and enough wind to make catching them easy. A no falls Northshore run on my F16, it doesn't get much better than that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
A little disappointing, but I'm looking for a cherry on top of my hot fudge Sunday.  I did two runs, the 11:00 was light at the top, insane in the middle and light at the end. When I say insane I mean maelstrom, old testament shit. Crazy from Mitchell to Wells, and then it must have lifted off the river 'cause the event center couldn't have been more than 10 kts.

2:00 run was even all the way, but probably 25. I kept Hannah Hill in sight until split rock, and then she disappeared. I'll download all the stuff tonight and see what it's like.

The Mana was awesome again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »
Temira sez it's gonna nuke in the gorge this weekend. She says "don't leave your garbage cans out Friday night". I understand that. I think my last set wound up in Boise.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 05:35:25 PM »
That was the best best day of the season since the last best day of the season.  Smooch to July.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »
I did two runs, first one with a goofy helmet cam on. It was an OK run but nothing special. Second run was totally nuts at Mitchell Point. I dropped in the big wave everyone knows just before you get to the point, and as i headed to the bottom of a hole that could hide a bus, I realized "there's no way out of here". It was a wall in front and a wall on either side. I turned as hard as I could but it didn't make any difference. I wouldn't call it pearling. I just drove right into Niagra Falls. Darryl was still laughing about it when I bought her and her husband a beer later.

Wind was kind of up and down though. I'm on the shuttle for 11 and 2 again tomorrow. Looking for that perfect run.

I didn't get anywhere near 1:16 today. 1:26 for both runs. The first because the second half was so sticky, the second because I was just a passenger for the first half--out of control and smashing into things.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 08:56:46 PM »
I hurt everywhere. Pass the brandy.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 09:53:28 PM »
Traversing the country dodging thunderstorms today, but I'll be in for one or two runs with my son tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 07:24:46 AM »
7:20 and it's nuking. NOAA contradicted Temira on the wind today--they say 10 MPH. Tell that to the windmill in my garden--looks like a blender on "puree". Temira sez 25-29 in the morning and up to 32 in the late morning, early afternoon. I think NOAA wuz wrong. You'd think they'd learn.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:30:17 AM by PonoBill »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »
I hurt everywhere. Pass the brandy.

Yeah, but, in the words of John Cougar Mellencamp, it hurts so good.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
Super fun double run day.
I knew last night when I drove home from work through the Gorge at 2 am that the forecast was a bit off as there was zero marine layer yet. Perfect setup for a strong steady, albeit not quite nuking day. The kind of day for PR's, were the bumps are super easy to connect and keep running, but not so big that it's a rodeo.
I had to bribe my 17 yr old son to get out of bed at 10:30 this morning by making him breakfast. Once I had him vertical it was pretty easy to talk him into going, which was great because I don't get to paddle with him often. We shuttled with my fast friends Kelly and Todd and put in at 11:45, well after the Big Winds shuttle folks had taken off. It started off solid and stayed that way until just past Wells.
Super fun watching my boy rip it up on the Bullet 12'6". Only his second run this year, but he's already got really solid skills thanks to two years on the Jet team and lot's of time in the ocean. He's a skateboarder, so he's used to riding with either foot forward, and he has to think for a while when I ask if he's goofy or regular. It's fun to watch him surf the big swells since he changes his stance depending on if he's going left or right. I wish I was that coordinated!
We pretty easily reeled in everyone on the shuttle except for I think PB and my friend Andy. PB, were you wearing a yellow shirt? I was making a little ground on you until Split Rock and then you lit the fuse and I never saw you again.
I was well into a PR for the year and thought I had it in the bag as I hit Wells at about the 1 hour mark, and then the wind softened up quite a bit and I had to scratch hard for a 1:19, my fastest this year by a minute. My son finished only about 30 seconds behind and would have beat me, but he decided to go swimming three times. We all finished within two minutes of each other.
After a little lunch Kelly and I did a second run at 3 pm. That run was also really fun, with just slightly lighter winds until past Wells, then it got really light. The Wells express was a little more developed on the second run though, super fun.
The highlight of the second run was having the Gorge Blowout race blast past us just before Split rock. The lead kiter was going just insanely fast downwind. I didn't get a good look, but he might have been on a foil.
Second run was 1:24 which wasn't too bad for me considering how much lighter the wind was at the end. Two runs, no falls, time for a nap :)
JP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal