Author Topic: Fanatic AllWave Fin-box Issues?  (Read 10804 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fanatic AllWave Fin-box Issues?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 11:12:23 PM »
I belive most of the finboxs installed in the China boxes are not genuine future boxes and are cheap copy's (not sure if they are under licence or not) if you look close at a genuine box and the ones that come in most of the boards from China there are huge variations, some companies even print futures in side the box but with a slight change in text, some I have replaced in kite boards don't even have the flange!  I have seen were the fin tabs have been ground to far so posably the case but ethereal way it's pore quality control and you probably have a Friday afternoon board. If they won't warrantee just send it back you have every right and give your money to some one who cares it's about time these companies start taking a bit of pride in there product

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 04:44:57 AM »
Very good points Supuk, but Fanatic does specifically advertise Futures boxes.  For one box to be off by 1/16" does not seem too bad to me.  The sloppy fins are a different story, but can easily be addressed.

tonyg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 06:11:03 AM »
I would be surprised if these are actually futures boxes but if they are then futures has a quality problem or there is some very sloppy workmanship going on with the construction. If the fin box opening is supposed to be 4-1/2" long, these are off by 1/8"-3/16", much more than 1/16".
Look at the picture in my original post and look at the small amount of material between the set screw and the front of the box and the gap between the front of the fin and the box. This is an issue. I am measuring with a tape so maybe not the best accuracy so I ordered a micrometer which will be here tomorrow. I'll post pictures showing measurements.

I personally have 3 kitesurf boards and a surfboard, all futures. The fit of the fins, the finish on the boxes the solid set screws put these two fanatic boards to shame.

That said, I'm happy to try different fins. Maybe there are "special" longer base fins that will work. The four "other" fin sets I have don't make the problem any better in these boards, actually a bit worse.

I tried looking for futures fin box specs but can't find them. Is 4-1/2" x 5/16" correct?

Tony

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »

I tried looking for futures fin box specs but can't find them. Is 4-1/2" x 5/16" correct?

Tony

I couldn't find the sizing either that's why I measured the Futures boxes on my Corban to give you some feedback.       

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »
Call Futures, they are out here in SoCal. I'm sure they'd be glad to know about the Fanatic specs.

There's a long, legal, gap between Futures and futurz-style finboxes in advertising.

Call futures or order a futures box from a surf shop or shaper supply store.

If I get a break I'll grab one and measure pre-install.

tonyg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
The micrometer I ordered was a dud. Doesn't matter anyway, not going to change anything.
Tried calling Futures but they could not give me the inside dimensions (at least the person who answered the phone).
Nothing else new to report, not getting anywhere.

Tony

tonyg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
Figured I'd give an update since it's been a while.
Jim ended up sending me a set of Future fins to try (JM's) and they arrived on Friday but were not the right fins, it was the SUP set with the large center fin. Guess there was a communication issue between Jim and Future. Took a long time to get ordered, then Future will not ship direct to a customer, so they had to first ship to Jim, then get shipped to me.
I let Jim know and sent the fins back to Jim on Saturday.
The plan is to get the right fins from Future to me to try but based on the above I'm guessing it'll be another 2-3 weeks before I see them.
Not a peep out of Fanatic regarding this issue since they blew me off.
If you are buying one of these boards make sure you put your hands on it first, make sure you put in the fins.
Will post again when I get fins to try.
Tony

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 01:43:15 PM »
If you purchased the boards with a credit card and it has not been too long, I would dispute the charges for the boards with the credit card company.  Tell the dealer to take the boards back and ship you new boards with proper boxes or just refund your money so you can take your business elsewhere.

Where are you located?

tonyg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 04:16:02 PM »
I am hopeful that Jim will make it right. Unfortunately I'm in NC and quite a ways away from NJ or I feel this would have been resolved long ago.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard