Author Topic: First board for large rider?  (Read 7244 times)

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
First board for large rider?
« on: July 26, 2016, 04:54:20 AM »
Hey guys, I was looking into getting into paddleboarding but need some advice. I'm trying to find a good board that won't kill my bank account but will be able to keep me afloat. I'm 6'3 and about 280lbs so I'm not the smallest rider. I was looking at the tower social (I can get one for around $500) but I have no idea what brands are good, or if there is anything better I should be looking at. Also any advice on other gear I will need and what I should bexpect getting would be great. I know I will need a roof rack but advice on those too would be great (also how to actually secure it to the thing).

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Re: First board for large rider?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
11'5" x 31", 235 liters might still be on the small side for you.

I would look for a 12'+ board at least 32" wide, with at least 250 liters volume. Maybe like this?

http://star-board-sup.com/2016/boards/12-0-x-33-atlas-extra/

That's about the biggest "surf style" sup that I know of, but if are not going to be using it for surfing there are some good XL options in the touring / fishing sup category. For example this 12'6"x34" fishing board is designed to be ultra stable but still fast. 350 liters volume!

http://www.rivierapaddlesurf.com/collections/sup-touring/products/126-fish-on

Good luck!
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:50:20 AM »
What is going to be your primary use...cruising, surfing..? I'm slightly taller than you and about 10 lbs lighter with balance issues, you'll see the boards in my quiver in my signature. 11-5 x 31" x 235 would work but depending on your athleticism and balance it could be a challenge at the start...time on water will change that though. You'll be surprised how quickly a board that feels unstable the 1st time out feels solid after a few weeks...you'll likely lose some weight too. I started on a 12-6 x 31 Starboard cruiser at over 300lbs but 10 months later my second board was a 11-2 x 30 Starboard Blend, under 200l...I was 245 at that time and it was a great board for me as an all arounder. Best bet is to demo some boards if possible of course. With a limited budget you may want to look for a good used board and save some $ for a decent paddle. Good luck in your search.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »
It will mostly be used for cruising and just general exercise. I live in a region with alot of lakes and streams so that's most where I will be, though I am close to the ocean. My balance is probably not the best but it's not bad. I've longboarded for years (skateboard), though it had been a while since I've been on one.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »
Rent a few first to get an idea of a size that works for you. As for brands you can't go wrong with a Joe Blair for bigger guys...

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 02:40:36 PM »
Does anyone know who sells starboards in the US? I was on that website and it looks like there is only 3 stores, and none of which are even remotely close to the east coast. They are a little bit out of my price range too, would have to save up.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
  there should be a good number of starboard dealers around but the only one i have personal knowledge is matunuck surf shop in matunuck, ri, if you're at all close to that.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »
The 11'6"x. 35" Naish Mana is a great board and a good choice for someone big that needs lots of float and stability.. Try and demo one if you can..

More info here.. http://www.naishsurfing.com/product/mana-116-soft-top/

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »
Zombie,

We sell Starboard and just got a killer deal from rep Give me a call 484 515 5758 Yes we are on the EC

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 08:47:16 AM »
Just found this board ship that's not far, they sell VESL boards, think it may be there own board. Any opinions?  http://www.portsmouthpaddleco.com/buy the board was the touring one, not sure why it won't direct link.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »
Cinnamon Rainbows in Hampton is a Starboard dealer.

This is the first I've heard of Portsmouth Paddle Co which is funny because that's the area where I live and paddle. Strange that the website doesn't say where they are located.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:28:20 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

whitejm74

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 10:42:47 AM »
Why not have a look at a Riviera Voyager?  Likely the best bang for your buck board.  Should float you no problem.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/southshorepaddleboard/

She's been moving tons of these lately.  One of the best cruising boards out there.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »
I think the Riviera Voyager is closer to an ideal board for what you described. It is a bit wider for stability,  is closing in on the 300 litre mark, which helps with float for paddlers your size, and has multiple tie down points for stashing gear. You are going to be pushing 300 pounds out there with a bit of gear, and you need something that will float you comfortably. Plenty of boards will float you, and displacement calculations get put up to prove this point, but there is a major difference in what will float you, and what floats you well/comfortably. Especially at your size.

Other boards in this category are the Boardworks Great Bear 12'6" x 30" x 304 Litres, and the Jimmy Lewis Searcher 12'6" X 33.5 x 363 litres. The Searcher is a bit spendy compared to the other options. Both have tie downs front and back.

Not sure if you were considering 14 foot boards, but your options grow considerably once you go up in length. Amundson TRT 14 x 29.5, Boardworks Great Bear 14 X 30, and the Naish Glide 14 X 30 are a few. The Amundson and Greatbear have tie downs front and back. Easy enough to add your own tie downs, but just letting you know.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:30:47 PM by robon »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
Summer Sessions in Rye, NH is a Riviera dealer.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

ZombieOTTR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
I was looking at some of the 14 footers but alot of them say they are ment for lighter riders, I'm not sure if this is just because theyou are not as wide. That riviera one does look nice though. As far iLas gear goes I'm not sure how much I would ever take with me, if anything maybe just lunch and sunscreen. The Riviera is more towards my price range as well, but I will still need a car rack and paddle and I'm assuming those are a bit pricy as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal