Author Topic: First Grommie Impressions of Sunova Speeed 8’10”  (Read 3054 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
First Grommie Impressions of Sunova Speeed 8’10”
« on: July 23, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »
Rick (SupTheCreek) likes people to post impressions, so I had first extended session with Vic’s Speeed this AM.

I was on it once before briefly when Vic was at Shark’s and was surprised that it seemed easier to balance than my Prowave.  In fact, after today’s session, it IS easier to balance than my Prowave.

That’s not to say it is easy. Even in today's calm surf, it requires attention, but there are several points of instability on the Prowave that the Speeed seems to sail through without problem, and it only keels on its side in whirlpool turbulence by 30 degrees or so instead of the Prowave’s 45 degrees.  It rolls off of surfed waves MUCH better than the Prowave so I can pull out more with less falling off.  Lateral slap isn't very problematic with it.

Today was calm, but wave agitation and high tide did actually create some meaningful turbulence that I could negotiate, and overall I think it achieves my desired 20 percent stability goal over the Prowave.  I was able to recover from a few situations that would have been definite toss offs for the Prowave.  Speed is also nice to knee paddle.  When I got back to the higher tide hard balance section around Privates, I began to feel my limitations, but still did better than I thought.  It glides about the same as the Prowave, maybe a little better and straighter, as you might expect from the more parallel rail contour.

ME, on a 8’10’x29 board?  Impossible.  Sunova should probably give it an extra half wave or so for it’s stability rating if somebody like me at 230lbs or so completely wet can do even average on it.

I was able to do some rapid buoy turn arounds with reasonable grace.  I was actually getting a little frisky and doing whirling dervishes with it.  It is easy to step around on it, and there were even times when I was standing that I forgot I was balancing.  It is more comfortable to stand on over time than the Prowave.  The Prowave changes with very slight movements of feet, whereas the sweet spot for instability for the Speeed seems a little more forgiving.

I did two prone pop ups nicely on it.  I also go slammed by a rare big white water when I was dangling off the side, and managed to jump on and pop up to get a ride to shore.  That was much better due to the boards slide-i-ness than my similar experiences on the Prowave. The Speeed has potential for white water blast and ride recovery.

The Speeed is good going back out over white water, but  the nose push back is much fiercer because of the blunt nose, so I have to be careful about getting the board back in my face.

I don’t think the waves were sufficient today to judge wave performance, except that it is just a different animal than the Prowave.  I didn’t get much impression of the “Speeed” part, except on one larger wave, when the board just took off and squirted out from under me.  That hasn’t happened in a while.

I did get some bottom turns, and I also managed on one wave to get back on the tail and do two good turns on it.  Yeah, it is stiff until you get back to a point, then it really starts to turn.  With the smaller waves today, it wasn’t really easier to get wave entry over the Prowave.  Also, to push the nose into the trough to catch, I have to really jump almost to the nose then step back, whereas on the Prowave, a little jump toward the front does it.

Better than the Prowave?  Nope, different but different good.  Why would I get another board just to have the same experience?  I would say the Prowave has smoothness, continuity and you can really push it into the turns.  I can’t really judge the Speeed yet, but it seems to have stepping zones that change it’s character more.  Also, the Speeed is really pleasurable to trim and step, more so than the Prowave, so I guess you give a little and get a little.

I wanted to get a tomo board around now, anyway, and a tomo-longboard hybrid is good enough for me so I decided to buy it.  I’ll give a follow up for more sessions out with hopefully better waves.

I will probably also buy my neighbor’s Pearson Arrow 9’2”x32.75 as a backup.  Vernor and the inflatables have been sold at giveaway prices.  I can’t have a third board around here without getting scalped by wifey, so I guess my neighbor will have to keep the Pearson for me to use at his place.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:41:00 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First Grommie Impressions of Sunova Speeed 8’10”
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the great review. I am impressed that at 230#s you were impressed with the stability.
Here are my thoughts to share on getting the most out of the 8'10" Speeed. It rewards good footwork, as you have discovered. Way up on the nose to catch waves, front foot right behind the handle and rear foot back over the fins for great turns, and then back up forward to trim for speed. From my experience, I am guessing that the squirt out from underneath you was from a combination of too tall and narrow of a stance. Turning off those sharp rear channels can really cause the board to shoot, which is good fun, but it can leave you off the back end if the stance is not wide and low.
I hope you have a lot of fun with your new board!
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 05:05:15 PM »
Thanks, Nalu,

I took her out again today.  It was Wharf to Wharf marathon weekend.  Big paddle contest out on the water yesterday, a marathon run today packed with people.

I had to wait fifteen minutes for a clearing to cross the street at Privates, but a lot of entertainment, bands around, a big drum group thumping away in front of Privates gate.

However, my reward was empty surf from Privates to Sharks.  What was there, I had all to myself for a while in light fog.

I pretty much confirmed the prior post.  I can balance and handle the Speeed better than the Prowave in general.  I am NOT saying it is EASY to balance, just that with my body type, it is easier to balance than my Prowave.  I can do pretty nice snap arounds on it.  I took it up the face of a wave and very nearly got a 180 on it.

I have a sensitive middle ear, and even when I can balance the Prowave well, I always feel a little queasy on it.

I don't feel queasy on the Speeed, at least not in the conditions today or yesterday, and I got into some modestly tossy stuff at high tide.

I have to practice jumping toward the nose to get it into the wave.  If I did that with the Prowave, it would be a face plant.

I have no problem turning it.  A guy I talk with out there, Dewey, saw me coming in with it and said:  "That board looks like it's really easy to turn".  I laughed a bit inside because of some posts here indicate that some people have found the turning a technique challenge.

Anyway, I really like this board and think that we are gong to be friends.  The Prowave taught me how to turn and trim, and the Speeed, I believe, is going to be very fun teaching me more about stringer stepping.  It is a blast to step around on.

Anyway, I am also still gobsmacked that I can handle a 8'10"x29.25 at all.  I still remember the misery of trying out my neighbor's longer Pearson Laird a few winters ago at 10'6"x29.75, and I couldn't do anything with it at all, from knee paddling OR much less standing up.  I was sore and demoralized for a week after taking that one out.

Comparing to the Prowave:  the Prowave is made for the wave face, where it becomes organic and telepathic, but it makes no concessions to comfort, balance, cruising otherwise etc.  The Prowave is always fun for me, even with balance challenge, and has basically been my turning mentor over a very slow and protracted learning curve.

At least for me, the Speeed does make some concessions outside of the wave face, which make it fun in more dimensions.  It isn't too far off from the wave face goodness of the Prowave, while being a lot of fun in the stepping and toss around attributes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:19:47 PM by SUPcheat »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »
Third session.  Yup, it looks like this is going to be pretty Sweeet.  I never thought that the 8.10 Speeed would be my "easy" board, but I am able to do stuff that would toss me off the Prowave. Stepping around continues to be very fun.  I can actually turn it without getting all the way on the tail by stepping the rail, but a kind of sweeping turn compared to a more radical one as you move back to the tail.  The turning lubrication increases as you get your foot more toward the tail.

I guess more like "do-able" board than easy, but so far on the very manageable side .

The Prowave demands finesse and punishes its lack in every department but the actual wave experience, where it becomes a magic carpet.

Being on the Prowave for a year and a half has been better balance training than I thought.

I hope that the Flow 8.7 balance gyro, when I get it,  is somewhere between the 8.10 Speeed and the Prowave.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:27:42 PM by SUPcheat »

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 07:15:43 PM »
Nice reports cheat!

Interesting comps to the Prowave.... I had the 9'6, but figured the 9'3 would be too much work, so good to hear your impressions.

The Speeed really likes to be front foot weighted, when paddling into waves.... I always stepped off the pad when digging for a wave.
It actually gets way more stable, the harder you paddle. The nose just keeps coming up to keep you on a solid platform.

Your 8'7 Flow is 9 liters less than your Speeed, so the float will be a factor at your weight.
I have ridden the 8'7 Flow at 240 lbs... but it was super calm.... and more of a novelty, than something I woul want to do with regularity.
That will really loosen you up and be more in line with your Prowave experience.... but more snappy.
Good time to drop a few lbs.... while waiting ;)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
Nice reports cheat!

Interesting comps to the Prowave.... I had the 9'6, but figured the 9'3 would be too much work, so good to hear your impressions.

The Speeed really likes to be front foot weighted, when paddling into waves.... I always stepped off the pad when digging for a wave.
It actually gets way more stable, the harder you paddle. The nose just keeps coming up to keep you on a solid platform.

Your 8'7 Flow is 9 liters less than your Speeed, so the float will be a factor at your weight.
I have ridden the 8'7 Flow at 240 lbs... but it was super calm.... and more of a novelty, than something I woul want to do with regularity.
That will really loosen you up and be more in line with your Prowave experience.... but more snappy.
Good time to drop a few lbs.... while waiting ;)

Thanks, Creek,

I went back and looked at your Speeed footwork video.  As usual, a treat to see your dancing
skills.

I'm not really sure what I am doing, it is stepping and moving, but the board is turning without any problems.

You need to get a stepping vid of the Acid, too.

As far as losing the weight, I KNOW, I KNOW!

My 170 pound, naturally and effortlessly thin neighbor is always acting like I am a wreck, and need to start juicing, etc. etc., but I'm not the one who has had three major operations in the past six months.  I think I am his lifestyle sin eater.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:02:35 PM by SUPcheat »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
'Nother couple of seshes.  I have been kind of weak and tired the last two days, but some larger waves started hitting today. Mostly I have just been hanging out in Supcheatlandia around Sharks, but there have been some great reform waves going on there.

One down the line ride only so far in all seshes, but it did it great.  A couple of "crest rides" that were odd, because the Prowave doesn't do that.  I would get jammed up on the Speeed on the crest going in, and it just rode the crest in, I couldn't weight it into the wave.  It was like surfing with elevator shoes, fun and different.

Still easier to balance, I can stand up in moderate chop and swell and not feel threatened, even relaxed at times.  It's definitely OK balance for mild to moderate conditions.  Severe conditions to be determined.

Nice, long, languorous turns from the middle, faster turns from the tail, BUT the waves need energy to get the feet back whereas the Prowave will do sharper turns in weaker stuff.

All in all, fun fun fun til daddy takes the t bird away!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal