Author Topic: SUP Demo Fees  (Read 14540 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Demo Fees
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
I don't want to sound harsh - sorry in advance if it comes off this way - but it might just be best to get one of the boards on our list - and just go paddle it.  You will get used to it, and have FUN. 
Just a thought.
You're not sounding harsh at all. I'm coming to that same conclusion. I'm now accepting that demo'ing is simply not an option (and never will be). It's kind of like buying a new Tesla model (not that I know)... no way to test drive, only pics and specs. If you want one, you buy one and hope for the best.
I contacted some shops yesterday, but most would have to special order the boards on my list.
Either way I go, I really hope this does't turn out to be a $3k mistake. I really hate buying blind!
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »
I don't want to sound harsh - sorry in advance if it comes off this way - but it might just be best to get one of the boards on our list - and just go paddle it.  You will get used to it, and have FUN. 
Just a thought.
You're not sounding harsh at all. I'm coming to that same conclusion. I'm now accepting that demo'ing is simply not an option (and never will be). It's kind of like buying a new Tesla model (not that I know)... no way to test drive, only pics and specs. If you want one, you buy one and hope for the best.
I contacted some shops yesterday, but most would have to special order the boards on my list.
Either way I go, I really hope this does't turn out to be a $3k mistake. I really hate buying blind!
If it makes you feel better, there's a real limit to how useful demoing can be, since as you've found out, the ideal situation--where you'd be able to take all the boards you're interested to one spot, and test each one after another in the same conditions, then narrowing it down, and testing the finalists again--is almost never going to happen.  Instead, like you said, you test one, then 2 weeks later you test another in totally different conditions...

Also, the board that feels best demoing may not be the best.  You then have to guess how it will feel after you're used to it.  The demo's perfect board may be a barge a month after you buy it and get used to it, and the tippy one may be perfect.

So Easy Rider is right, you do what you can realistically do with demoing, then take the leap.  Then next time you want a new board, you'll have had lots of experience on the current one that's probably closer to the future board than any of your boards are today to the one you're getting now.  That will be a huge advantage next time.

Also, I've got a few boards, and haven't got rid of any.  I wouldn't have been able to stand up on the lastest--my Javelin--when I started out, but even so, the older ones are just as fun as ever to use.  They just have different pros and cons.  The point is that I have no idea if each board I got was the "best" I could have chosen at the time, but it doesn't matter, and also that if any of them were the "best" when I got them, it was purely by chance, because you really can't tell what board is best until after you've owned if for awhile.  Demos just tell you what you feels best upon first paddle, and what you guess may be best later on.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:09:11 AM by pdxmike »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »
I pretty much consider boards "disposables" now.  Since I inevitably destroy them in some way.

After using the inflatables and the Vernor (which are sold), I estimate that my amortization usage is about 8 dollars per session, including repairs.  I liked the Vernor, but it was fragile, and I got tired of repairing it every second or third session.

Amortization cost of 8 dollars a session to me is reasonable, though I think others might consider it expensive.  Those boards guided me through whatever learning curve I had at the time, so it was a fair price for safety and learning.

At 8 dollars per session, my Prowave is already fully amortized and although becoming beater status, is still probably useable for at least another year.  That means it will come in at less than $8 per session eventually.  Even though an expensive board used, it was worth it to have completely carefree use for 18 months.

To demo a board for $30 for a session is a good deal, I think.  I don't really expect a dealer to absorb depreciation for my casual tryout.

When I was in Maui, he gave me brand new boards to rent and he told me so.  He joked if they were scratched, I would pay.  I even ripped off a fin on the Starboard Widepoint on a coral reef, and there was no extra charge.

Of course, I am in coastal California, where prices are high, anyway, so everything is relative.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:29:40 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 12:52:40 PM »
To me, the questions I want answered in a demo are 1 does it float me, 2 is it stable enough for me.
Sometimes I ride a board 5 to 10 times before I get it dialed.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »
That is a great point Tom, unless the rider is at the peak of their ability, there is always room to grow into a more challenging board in stand up.  I love trading-off lower volume boards to the EZ chair riders in the line up just to see the reaction.  And, when they finally do catch a wave, there is usually an epiphany.

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
I don't want to hijack the thread but since several folks mentioned that there are occasional demo days in their area I was wondering who/where that happens in the San Diego area.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal