Author Topic: How much harder is it to ride a narrower board?  (Read 1568 times)

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How much harder is it to ride a narrower board?
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
Hey folks I currently have a 12'x31 boga el rey that is very stable for my size (220lb). My wife has a 10'6 x 29 boga mahina that I find a little more tippy but I get around ok occasionally falling on 180 degree turns. Ive been eyeing a gusu 14x27 race board on craigslist but am wondering if I can handle it. My question is how much more stable/unstable will the 14x27 be vs my wife's 10'6x29? Both have manufactuer ratings of about 190lbs but I seem to handle the 10'6 ok enough. Thanks for any info.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How much harder is it to ride a narrower board?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
Thought I recalled a thread on a Gusu board recently (it's a memorable name), and turns out it was your thread...

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=29827.0

Not sure what you will get here that wasn't covered there, but there is unfortunately no short answer unless someone who has paddled that exact board wants to chime in.  14x27 isn't all that narrow but the design of the board will play a big factor. I've had a 14x26 Naish board that I couldn't stay on and now I have another 14x26 Naish board that I can't fall off.

Meet the guy and paddle it.  If it feels a bit tippy, great!  You'll grow into it. 

Jbrady5555

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
Thanks. The other thread was made before I bought and paddled my two boga boards. I was hoping that by giving my riding experiences on those boards someone could pin point whether or not I could ride the gusu. I guess it's just something I'll have to try out if possible.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
27" is getting into the tippy zone, at least for me.  I wouldn't buy it unless I could try it.  A lot of people selling boards are not opposed to test drives, if there is water somewhere near. 

A short surfing SUP is a different animal than what you are talking about, but this is the lesson I learned:  I bought a 7'3 X 28" board without trying it and, while I could make it go, I didn't have much fun on it because it was too small.  Too much work to catch a wave, too much face time in the water.  If I had only tried it once, I would have never bought it.  Alas, I couldn't because it was new, and the dealer was not allowing test drives. So I took a chance....and lost.  All that to say, try before you buy.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:01:17 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal