Author Topic: Types of exercises that benefit SUP  (Read 16629 times)

Miss Adventure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Types of exercises that benefit SUP
« on: July 15, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
Hi, I'm new to paddleboarding and am wondering what type of exercises I can do off the water that would help me become a better paddleboarder. When I'm paddling I find myself getting tired quickly (winded and my arms hurt). Thanks for any suggestions.

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Types of exercises that benefit SUP
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:54:19 AM »
Paddle boarding is such a great workout.  The cardio will come if you keep with it.  At first I found that my arm were getting overly tired as well.  Like me, you may have been using to much arms in the stroke and not enough core.  When done with better technique there is a lot less requirement on the arms.  As with any sport of course a decent baseline of fitness will need to be built up.  There are several great videos explaining stroke. 

I would focus on some core strengthening.  Any solid workout structure will help.  For me it would be hard to say specific exercises because paddling uses so much of the body.  Back, shoulders, arms, legs.  Not very helpful I know.

I say this because paddling was a gateway for me.  I lost 75 lbs. paddling. That motivated me to where I am now, lifting 3 days a week and cardio the other.  I am turning 40 in a few months and I will be in the best shape of my life.  I owe a lot of it to discovering paddling.

JonoUNC89

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
Resistance bands.

These are relatively cheap, you can get them in difference levels of resistance and they are available at any sporting goods store or online (like Amazon).

I take one end of the resistance band and tie it (anchor it) to something that won't move easily (metal support post in garage, bumper of your car).

The other end I tie to an old shovel handle (the actual shovel part sawed off, of course)...or you could even tie to your SUP paddle right above the blade.

Standing on something sturdy a foot or so off the ground helps...I use a wooden box.

I place the box so that the resistance band is almost taut when I have have the paddle extended in front of me where I would put the blade in the water at the beginning of a stroke.

Then, I execute the stoke. The band will increase resistance as I progress through the stroke. Then, repeat as if you were actually paddling. Switch sides every 10 reps or so. Provides a very good workout and I think it closely mimics SUP paddling (as much as you can on dry-land).

You can experiment with different levels of resistance to adjust the exercise for a more aerobic workout (less resistance) or focus on building strength (high resistance).

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »
If you have the means (time and are able to), paddle boarding itself is probably the best
- even at leisurely levels.

One thing is that your ability to balance will improve pretty rapidly.  As that improves
you will need less energy and effort overall.   Also, you are likely using some muscles
that you haven't used so much - they will improve fairly quickly - I would go somewhat slow
before pushing it.

I will say, that leisurely flat water paddling takes far less energy and wears you out less than SUP Surfing or more aggressive paddling. 
Better conditions - less wind, less chop, etc. will wear you out a lot less than more challenging conditions - sometimes
amazingly so.  When I started (years ago), it took me many months to feel strong SUP Surfing without going to my knees to take a break.
I'm talking six or seven months.   Back then about every third paddle I did was a more relaxing flat paddle - still, ha I laugh about it now,
but even on flat water, initially I would fall sometimes - so so different for me now, years later. --  Anyway, just getting
some time out there even leisurely really seemed to help build up everything.

Likely you just need to raise your overall level of fitness.
If you can't get on the water, I would think bike riding or jogging, even walking.  These days, when
the surf isn't right, I often just take a walk.  Also, just standing for periods of time - when I walk I have a great
view and I stand - seems to be of some benefit. 
I think any workout is good.  Initially, I think that you don't need to push to hard - just get out there and put
some time into some activity.

I used to do yoga (for several years) and that would probably be good for you.
They made a big deal about how good it is for your "core" - but, wow, SUP is really good for your core!
But, yoga is really good to keep you limber and you get some activity.
Plank pose would help build up your upper body a bit.

For your arms - of course, SUP uses a lot of different arm and shoulder
muscles.  Again, just get some activity in those areas.  Your triceps are likely sore.  In a gym,
pull downs would probably be good.  Dips if you have the strength but tricep extensions with low
weight would be a lot easier and probably very good - you could get some small weights
and do that at home.  I think just getting some activity
over time - not really even pushing it - would be enough over time.

The thing about SUP is it is so fun, and gets and keeps you in shape.
A great sport! Have fun!
 ;D

Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
Hi, I'm new to paddleboarding and am wondering what type of exercises I can do off the water that would help me become a better paddleboarder. When I'm paddling I find myself getting tired quickly (winded and my arms hurt). Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm on a coed sup race team. http://cgtkayaks.com/race-team.html Our coach strongly recommends strength training for all of us. The three main things we do are squats, deadlifts, and overhead press, to strengthen the big muscle groups of the legs, core, and shoulders. (Since you're supposed to paddle in a way that uses those big muscle groups more and your arms less.) We also do some pushups and pullups.

For aerobic fitness, paddling is pretty much all we do, although some of us mix in running or circuit training. We change up the time/distance/intensity of our paddle workouts from day to day. Our workouts range from 30 second sprints with long rests in between, up to 60 minute steady paddles, but usually we don't workout for more than about 40 minutes total.

Another thing that might help reduce your muscle soreness is to use a narrower board that slides through the water better.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 10:16:38 AM »

I'm on a coed sup race team. http://cgtkayaks.com/race-team.html Our coach strongly recommends strength training for all of us. The three main things we do are squats, deadlifts, and overhead press, to strengthen the big muscle groups of the legs, core, and shoulders. 
[/quote]

^^^^^^^^ You get proficient in these exercises and your SUP performance will go to a new level
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
Swim, Swim and swim.....
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 11:34:23 AM »
Our coach strongly recommends strength training for all of us. The three main things we do are squats, deadlifts, and overhead press, to strengthen the big muscle groups of the legs, core, and shoulders. (Since you're supposed to paddle in a way that uses those big muscle groups more and your arms less.) We also do some pushups and pullups.

For aerobic fitness, paddling is pretty much all we do, although some of us mix in running or circuit training. We change up the time/distance/intensity of our paddle workouts from day to day. Our workouts range from 30 second sprints with long rests in between, up to 60 minute steady paddles, but usually we don't workout for more than about 40 minutes total.

Another thing that might help reduce your muscle soreness is to use a narrower board that slides through the water better.

^^^
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 12:31:54 PM »
Swim, Swim and swim.....
It's funny, with the original question, my mind went straight to conditioning, and so did everyone else's, plus that's probably what the question was about.  And if it is, then swimming is a great complement to paddling.

But if you just go to the most basic level of what exercise benefits paddlers, of course it's swimming.  You'll be much safer, more confident, able to go out in more varied conditions...It's the forgotten component of paddling.  Every paddler should be a competent open water (not just pool) swimmer.

Plus (depending on what stroke you're doing) it works the same muscles you need for paddling, but also the opposing ones.   People jump to the idea that you should strengthen the muscles you use for a sport, which is true, but if you don't want to end up unbalanced and injured, you need to strengthen the opposing ones.  Obviously, strength training is great for that, too.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 05:57:23 PM »
People jump to the idea that you should strengthen the muscles you use for a sport, which is true, but if you don't want to end up unbalanced and injured, you need to strengthen the opposing ones.  Obviously, strength training is great for that, too.

^^^ So true.  As well strengthening your stabilizers is quite important.  Ever since opposers and stabilizers have been strengthened -> soreness and injury have been eliminated.  Before I would have aches and pains from overuse - but now nada.  Plus can paddle for longer and faster -> so a double bonus.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 05:08:22 AM »
Swim, Swim and swim.....
It's funny, with the original question, my mind went straight to conditioning, and so did everyone else's, plus that's probably what the question was about.  And if it is, then swimming is a great complement to paddling.

But if you just go to the most basic level of what exercise benefits paddlers, of course it's swimming.  You'll be much safer, more confident, able to go out in more varied conditions...It's the forgotten component of paddling.  Every paddler should be a competent open water (not just pool) swimmer.

Plus (depending on what stroke you're doing) it works the same muscles you need for paddling, but also the opposing ones.   People jump to the idea that you should strengthen the muscles you use for a sport, which is true, but if you don't want to end up unbalanced and injured, you need to strengthen the opposing ones.  Obviously, strength training is great for that, too.

Swimming has even been more  or less forgotten in prone surfing too, with many good surfers out there entirely dependent on leash.  ::)

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 06:48:45 AM »
Swimming is great however has more carryover to prone surfing as far a benefiting the actual performance of the sport. It's a very necessary activity for anyone involved in watersports, however strength training is what can really benefit your SUP paddling performance from a strength perspective. I think most of the top paddlers spend gym time. It comes down to the correct program in the gym. You NEED leg strength and low back strength and core strength and these are things that are best improved with strength training. You don't need to use huge amounts of weight as that would not carry over well into SUP.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 09:11:03 AM »
It comes down to the correct program in the gym. You NEED leg strength and low back strength and core strength and these are things that are best improved with strength training. You don't need to use huge amounts of weight as that would not carry over well into SUP.

^^^  Interestingly I use heavy weights when squating -> over 2x BW.  And find my balance - especially on the 23 - feels much more stable.  It seems that added leg strength translates to better balance on the water - as my legs power through crazy cross chop vs giving out like in the past.  But certainly back and core strength help out a ton as well in that.  Bottom line is that strength training helps without a doubt.
Fast is FUN!   8)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
It comes down to the correct program in the gym. You NEED leg strength and low back strength and core strength and these are things that are best improved with strength training. You don't need to use huge amounts of weight as that would not carry over well into SUP.

^^^  Interestingly I use heavy weights when squating -> over 2x BW.  And find my balance - especially on the 23 - feels much more stable.  It seems that added leg strength translates to better balance on the water - as my legs power through crazy cross chop vs giving out like in the past.  But certainly back and core strength help out a ton as well in that.  Bottom line is that strength training helps without a doubt.
Heavy is great however it's good to go for some higher rep ranges mixed in.   That rep range of 2x BW which is what? maybe 6-10 for you? 2X BW is a GOOD number! Most people won't ever hit that. Also shoot for some 15-20 Rep range sets from time to time. If everyone would squat and Deadlift the'd be amazed at their paddling performances
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:47:58 AM by supsurf-tw »
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 01:09:21 PM »
Yeah DL at 2x as well.  I know of a few friends that had gone over but completely wretched their spine and popped disks.  So none of that for me!  2x with good form is plenty to keep my lower back in control.  That is such a functional move and helps so much with SUP it is amazing.  With the added strength - you just power thru.  Upper body shoulders and lats are critical also to help power the blade so muscle-up are great for that.

For squat reps I go 100+ partials which targets the quads just right.  Up 20 reps per set -> then down 70 2x+ then 100 2x then 130 1.5x.  Just did them.  Now for my DL sets - haha.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal