Author Topic: Paddle length; surf vs race  (Read 6903 times)

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Paddle length; surf vs race
« on: July 10, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »
Maybe a dumb question.

Just got my first race board 14', only surfed sup experience, my paddle feels short.

In general are racers using longer paddles then normal surf style lengths?

Thanks
YouTube

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle length; surf vs race
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:11 PM »
My race paddle is about 6" longer than my surf paddle. Smaller blade and a softer flex shaft compared to my surf paddle.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:05:38 PM »
The answer is yes.

A 6" difference is probably more than most. But at least a couple of inches is common. Quickblade give a useful typical paddle length chart for different heights and activities:

http://www.quickbladepaddles.com/SUP-paddle-sizes/

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 03:32:35 AM »
When I was doing my research last year in the summer of 2015 for sup paddles, I looked at that Quickblade chart. That paddle chart length doesn't fit me at all. I'll explain below.

Quickblade's chart is based soley on height, but it does not take into account a person's arm length. Since I'm 5' 8" tall, the Quickblade chart "recommends" for touring a paddle length of 77". But when I'm on my Hobie 12' 2" board and doing flat water touring, a 77" paddle length is way too short for me. Why? Because I've got long arms for my height. I've basically got orangutan arm length.

I went with a Werner Trance 85 all carbon (and expensive) straight performance adjustable in the 74"-81.5" length. I figured with my long arms, I would need an adjustable length paddle instead of fixed blade length paddle since I plan on doing some sup surfing with my new Hammer (on order) so I knew I would need a shorter paddle eventually and an adjustable sup paddle was the logical choice. I made the right choice too. Even though I'm 5' 8" tall, with my long arms and when doing flat water touring, I'm very comfortable and relaxed with the 80.5" setting on my Werner 85 paddle. With my paddle length set for 77" as recommended by Quickblade, I could immediately tell that was way too short for touring because not all of the paddle blade length was under the water.

In closing, for anyone whose arms are"longer" than normal for their height and is new to SUP and looking for their correct paddle length, that Quickblade chart length won't work if one is just going to purchase a fixed length paddle. I suggest renting an adjustable length paddle first to find what their correct paddle length actually is.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:48:11 AM »
When I was doing my research last year in the summer of 2015 for sup paddles, I looked at that Quickblade chart. That paddle chart length doesn't fit me at all. I'll explain below.

Quickblade's chart is based soley on height, but it does not take into account a person's arm length. Since I'm 5' 8" tall, the Quickblade chart "recommends" for touring a paddle length of 77". But when I'm on my Hobie 12' 2" board and doing flat water touring, a 77" paddle length is way too short for me. Why? Because I've got long arms for my height. I've basically got orangutan arm length.

I went with a Werner Trance 85 all carbon (and expensive) straight performance adjustable in the 74"-81.5" length. I figured with my long arms, I would need an adjustable length paddle instead of fixed blade length paddle since I plan on doing some sup surfing with my new Hammer (on order) so I knew I would need a shorter paddle eventually and an adjustable sup paddle was the logical choice. I made the right choice too. Even though I'm 5' 8" tall, with my long arms and when doing flat water touring, I'm very comfortable and relaxed with the 80.5" setting on my Werner 85 paddle. With my paddle length set for 77" as recommended by Quickblade, I could immediately tell that was way too short for touring because not all of the paddle blade length was under the water.

In closing, for anyone whose arms are"longer" than normal for their height and is new to SUP and looking for their correct paddle length, that Quickblade chart length won't work if one is just going to purchase a fixed length paddle. I suggest renting an adjustable length paddle first to find what their correct paddle length actually is.

That chart doesn't (and couldn't) take into the likely difference in board thickness either. That could add or lose an inch or two.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:55:40 AM »
The QB chart is only intended as a starting point. It's a suggestion. Anyone who cuts a paddle to a length they've never tried is taking the same risk as buying a pair of trousers over the internet, never having tried them, and with no possibility of return if it doesn't fit.

There are a gazillion other reasons, in addition to orang-utan arms, why someone might want a longer and shorter paddle than QB suggest. But in my case their chart works pretty well.

The best way to get the right length paddle is to buy it uncut and then cut it a bit longer than you'll need, and hot glue it. Then if it's too long, take one inch off and try again. Keep trying and cutting until you get it right.

Using adjustables to decide on length often doesn't work especially well because different paddles feel different. So you can get a rough idea with one, but that is all, really.

And then there's the issue that different board thicknesses require different paddle lengths... And as your technique improves, the length of the paddle you will want will change. It's a never-ending process...

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
Thanks everyone, great now i can buy another paddle! I currently have a Werner Ripstick 100, the Quickblade charts says for me (6'3" 240) to go with a 110 blade, larger blade then the Ripstick.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:50:45 AM by rbgar »
YouTube

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:04:39 PM »
110 is pretty big. I'd try one that size before buying, if I were you, just to make sure. Many big guys use blades that are far smaller than that.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Paddle length; surf vs race
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
The chart says for me a 100 blade (and I have a kahana ac with this size). But since I have my 91 v-drive, I don't use the kahana. The smaller blade is better for me.
So think about A10's hint.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »
We have 5 blades ranging from 67 to 114 square inches.  Would think you should be ok going bigger.  In contrast both my wife and I are lightweight riders and we love our 114 paddle.  We both would have no hesitation buying another 114 Riviera if another came up used or discontinued - as we often fight over who gets to use it.  Haha. 

I fixed up a couple splits and cracks on ours when I bought our first board the Dominator.  The board and paddle came as a set from a racer.  The paddle is still going 100% strong.  And Is actually my favorite for DW and when paddling our little 23 All Star.

But always best to test demo before buying if you can.  Most all wise experienced paddlers on this forum will tell you that.  But as you can see you will have many differing opinions.  And only you know what will work best for you.  Seems blade sizes have gone from big to small to medium.  Haha.  Good luck and happy paddling!   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
I almost think paddle length is like a fashion trend.  If you searched this forum you'd be likely to see fluctuating trends--when I first got into SUP, they were very long.  Then started to go shorter.  Got really confusing.  If you have a paddle the "wrong" length, hang onto it and it will likely come back in vogue.

That said, I got my current advice in an e-mail from Lane Mead at KeNalu about a year ago:

I have a pretty good technique for length that actually takes things that matter (like board thickness) into account. This technique was handed down to me from my Australian distributors physiotherapist (who is also an avid paddler); he recommends the following: Stand on your board with your paddle to your side with the blade submerged to the blade/shaft joint; at this point the top of your handle should be parallel with the top of your shoulder. I've found this technique to work well for everything flat water related (I use just a bit overhead for the surf). Basically I think you can throw all that 8" etc. rule out the door, all those older techniques might be a good starting point but they leave too much out.

That's worked for me.  Lane also recommended to err on the side of cutting too long just in case.  The QB chart is interesting, but I'd question much correlation between the size of the paddler and blade size.  Sure, I'd imagine a bigger paddler would have an easier time with a big blade than a smaller person would but it does depend on how fast you want to go.  I'm 210 and use a 95in paddle now.  Contemplating going down to a 90 and see if potential gains in cadence will result in gains in speed.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »
I almost think paddle length is like a fashion trend.  If you searched this forum you'd be likely to see fluctuating trends--when I first got into SUP, they were very long.  Then started to go shorter.  Got really confusing.  If you have a paddle the "wrong" length, hang onto it and it will likely come back in vogue.

That said, I got my current advice in an e-mail from Lane Mead at KeNalu about a year ago:

I have a pretty good technique for length that actually takes things that matter (like board thickness) into account. This technique was handed down to me from my Australian distributors physiotherapist (who is also an avid paddler); he recommends the following: Stand on your board with your paddle to your side with the blade submerged to the blade/shaft joint; at this point the top of your handle should be parallel with the top of your shoulder. I've found this technique to work well for everything flat water related (I use just a bit overhead for the surf). Basically I think you can throw all that 8" etc. rule out the door, all those older techniques might be a good starting point but they leave too much out.

That's worked for me.  Lane also recommended to err on the side of cutting too long just in case.  The QB chart is interesting, but I'd question much correlation between the size of the paddler and blade size.  Sure, I'd imagine a bigger paddler would have an easier time with a big blade than a smaller person would but it does depend on how fast you want to go.  I'm 210 and use a 95in paddle now.  Contemplating going down to a 90 and see if potential gains in cadence will result in gains in speed.

Bulky, what a great idea. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks so much for posting it.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard