Author Topic: Old rack straps are like old leashes... they brake.  (Read 6278 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Old rack straps are like old leashes... they brake.
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
I drove to the mountains to do a race. I don't slow down too much just because I have a board on my rack. The board always stays put. As I was strapping down my board to leave after the race, the strap just popped. I've always kept them nicely folded in their original pouch in my car. I figure they are about 7 years old. I bought them with my first Infinity race board.
Right after the strap broke / tore I thought, that could have happened while I was going 70 mph on the freeway. That would have been ugly. Anyway, toss those old straps even if they look in good shape.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Old rack straps are like old leashes... they brake.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »
That my major pet peeve.  People using worn out straps.  People here, mostly graybeard sea kayakers, are so proud of their cheapness and want to show everyone they have been paddling for 50 years.  So they use sun bleached worn out straps as a symbol of their old schoolness.  And they leave them up top all the time, in the sun.  Too cheap to lay down $25 a year for safe straps.  Check out the new Dakine wide straps.  Sweet. 

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 04:43:31 AM »
I always put a 3rd strap on for these occasions.  I double up the front.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:56:39 AM »
Nylon degrades with age. UV from the sun kills it but nylon degrades with age even if it is never used or exposed to the sun (entropy? Cosmic rays? Evil fornits?) I wouldn't go more than 3 or 4 years on a set of straps that I was regularly using. I used to be a rock/ice climber in my younger years, I just last year decided to get back into it. I dug out my old gear and looked up the manufacture's recommendation for replacing nylon. No one recommended using nylon older than 7-8 years even with no use. I sent all my cams back and had new webbing sown on. Tossed out all my ropes and slings and replaced those as well. Same deal with rack straps.
Bunch of old shit

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 02:10:26 PM »
Agreed.... every time you strap, rope, clamp your board on the racks... it needs to be done with care.

Of course to protect your board.... but also to protect the people that might get hit by your loose board.

These things are big and can do a lot of damage if we get careless when we strap them down.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
Straps that are 3 yrs old or older should be replaced and relegated to dog leads or something non critical application

Dakine has a HEFTY wide strap and buckle (Good strap[ping with cheap buckle isn't worth it.

Chinook has a very nice strap that holds excess strapping cleanly so no hummmming

NSI has a slick strap set it up 1X and just wrap and hook

These are just the ones we deal with and OF COURSE the ZONER DEAL is in effect on straps too!

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »
Interesting thread. I had no idea straps would deteriorate like that. I always thought if they looked good visually they would be O.K.

JimK, on the different straps you have listed, is there one that you either recommend or prefer over the others?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 05:59:35 PM »
What I liked about my old FCS straps is they were about 13' long and 1-1/2" wide. I could stack 4 SUP's on top of each other and the strap was long enough. The wider strap also was nice to spread the load. I'm looking for a similar strap to replace them with.
It's not overhead to me!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
I use cheap newer strap from Home Depot rather than older expensive straps like from Dakine/O'neill, and never had a problem.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 07:23:38 PM »
Maybe not the time for me to espouse the virtues of the single strap method...nope, didn't think so. 

I'm surprised PB hasn't dropped in on this thread with his (and DK's) ropes approach.  Every time I tie down in the wind, I think to myself I need to give that a try.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
If I used a rope I'd think I was tying down lumber on my truck. I'd probably crank it down so hard, I'd pull the rope right through the board rails.
It's not overhead to me!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
Straps have a 2–3 year lifespan. I have broken several while tightening them.

I also overdo it with the straps. On a long trip with three boards on the car, I will strap each board separately. Then I put on the locking straps. Trust me, there ain't nothin' movin' on my roof!

On shorter trips I'm a lot more relaxed. So don't judge me.  ;)
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 07:49:13 PM »
Yep, I need to try the rope thing sometime myself as well.

I just am not comfortable with anything other than these it seems. I still haven't ran across anything as wide or thick tho there might be.
Anything that gets me on an interstate or more than 50 miles or so down the road I have been running a third through the car, just because.

http://www.nrs.com/product/1446/nrs-15-padded-straps

http://www.nrs.com/product/1445/nrs-15-hd-tie-down-straps
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:51:44 PM by lucabrasi »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »
If I used a rope I'd think I was tying down lumber on my truck. I'd probably crank it down so hard, I'd pull the rope right through the board rails.

Try it, you'd be surprised. Very hard to overtighten a rope unless you use a trucker's knot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 09:43:17 PM »
I always use a truckers knot when using a rope. I've got tons of rope and HD ratcheting straps in my truck, but when it comes to tying down boards on my truck or car, I've always used my FCS straps. I'm not sure I like the narrow bearing point of a rope. I feel more comfortable with the 1-1/2" wide straps on a delicate race board.
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal