Author Topic: 25-1/2" X 16' unlimited "all water" build underway.  (Read 17649 times)

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 25-1/2" X 16' unlimited "all water" build underway.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »
Look forward to seeing what you build, I had problems with uploading pics too, was saying wrong file type and too large from the camera roll but found if I uploaded from the photo stream it was ok.

I had the same problem.  Ended up having to convert them to .jpg files on a computer to get them to post.  Still can't do it from an iPad or iPhone.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »
Look forward to seeing what you build, I had problems with uploading pics too, was saying wrong file type and too large from the camera roll but found if I uploaded from the photo stream it was ok.

I had the same problem.  Ended up having to convert them to .jpg files on a computer to get them to post.  Still can't do it from an iPad or iPhone.

You don't have to convert the file. You can just edit the extension and drop the "e" from the jpeg. It's as simple as that. You can do it on your iPhone or iPad in certain apps like Dropbox where you have the option to rename.
in progress...

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
SUPFlorida, any updates? Looking forward to more pics and a ride report.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
No progress:
1) it was my wife's birthday week...😘
2) Temperature & Humidity here is rivaling the Amazon Rain Forest.♨️
3) My carbon fiber I had shipped to my "work" house didn't arrive until after I left to go home for the weekend.😁
4) Been doing 12+ hr work days.😖
5) Doing my continuing Ed cases for my contractors license in my "spare time.💤
Etc...etc...
I can please just one person a week...it's not my week...next week is my birthday week... but it doesn't look good either...lol

Bought enough 5.9 carbon twill to do one bottom, two top and a small deck patch, plus a piece of 4.2 oz x4" uni for a strip down the centerline of the bottom. ..just a little extra insurance because of the length.Everything will get topped off with 2.3 oz e-glass for a sacrificial sanding barrier. It also nice for getting the board close to a final finish without using excessive filler or resin.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:13:50 PM by SUPflorida »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »
SUPFlorida-
No worries, and my respect for going after a board while being so busy.
Hot and humid here right now too, forecast is calling for a break this weekend.
Be safe, have fun. -J

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »
Laminated...tried to post picture...converted picture to every format on the accepted list...that no longer works either...👎

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
i think there was some issue with file extension names. Try change to .jpg or something.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Be safe, have fun. -J

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 05:52:08 PM »
...plus a piece of 4.2 oz x4" uni for a strip down the centerline of the bottom. ..just a little extra insurance because of the length.

Anyone want to discuss the merits of a strip of uni on the bottom vs an extra layer of twill or plain weave on the rails?

I'm thinking an extra layer on say the middle eight feet of the rails is stronger because of the "C" profile shape of the rail approximating the classic "I-beam". I would think that a strip of uni on the bottom will just be super flexible.   

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 07:57:55 PM »
Backeye...I already have three full layers of carbon, two top (lapped 3" on bottom), one bottom (3" lap on deck). I felt more comfortable putting the 4.2 oz uni down the bottom centerline over the full layer of carbon twill. The top laminate is twice as strong & stiff as the bottom. The 4.2 uni give just a bit more centerline strength to the bottom .

Don't think of the uni as a a single layer with its associated flex...think of your I beam with the deck being the top of the beam, the core being the web, the bottom being the bottom of the beam. It's the distance the top and bottom laminated are from each other that makes the I beam effect.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 05:23:15 AM »
Routed for fin box...sorry about the quality of the picture...nothing like the original...had to dumb it down to 10% for the zone to accept it.

The left edge of the longer piece of blue masking tape denotes the boards centerline, so if something looks a bit off that's there is your answer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:36:12 AM by SUPflorida »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 05:35:39 AM »
Slick! Smart! Use the extra length at the pointy ends. That would be a fast 14 (imagining it without the last 2’) with an extra tail end tagged on. Which makes it more efficient sliding on the water.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 05:46:50 AM »
Thanks Yugi...we are on the same wavelength...and yes a couple of times I almost wacked off the last 26-1/2" to make it a 14'... My rocker line stayed exactly what I was going for (1" nose , 3-1/4" tail) so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Coming in at 23lbs 10oz so far. I was shooting for 29lbs all up (or less) with pad & fin... Got a ways to go yet...so final weight TBD.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:48:49 AM by SUPflorida »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 07:52:44 AM »
Looks fast. 1" in the nose is pretty flat. Definitely and flat water board. Let us know how it goes.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 08:23:16 AM »
^^ the more we DW the quicker we get at keeping the tip from diving.

New DW racey boards are surprisingly low rocker. Yet manageable (if you are fast). Take a peek at the Naish Maliko.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal