Author Topic: 25-1/2" X 16' unlimited "all water" build underway.  (Read 17650 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
25-1/2" X 16' unlimited "all water" build underway.
« on: July 09, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »
Well a few of us have talked about an unlimited "all water board" here on the Zone & over at Seabreeze. Something that is more versatile than a dedicated "flat water" or "downwind" board...something longer than 14 but will still work with a fixed fin.  Been toying with the idea of an unlimited for over a year. Almost went unlimited last build but defaulted to 14 instead. supuk starting his 16' downwind board was the final tipping point. Time to make it happen.

Fluctuating between 150 and 170lbs, 16' sounds like a good next step up from 14'. So far I have the rocker & plain shape hot wired out and really like the way it is looking so far.

I can only work on the weekends so it will be a slow build.
Going to try and enjoy the process on this one rather than my typical "put your head down and get it finished."

I'll try to post some pictures as work progresses but I have been having issues trying to upload pictures to the Zone...it doesn't seem to like my IPhone pictures.
If there is no picture here that's why...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 25-1/2" X 16' unlimited "all water" build underway.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 11:09:35 PM »
Good luck! Will be very interesting.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 11:38:00 PM »
Look forward to seeing what you build, I had problems with uploading pics too, was saying wrong file type and too large from the camera roll but found if I uploaded from the photo stream it was ok.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:57:26 AM »
Supuk...yup, exactly the error message I get too...
wrong file type....too large....I tried emailing the picture to my self resizing it from full size to medium then uploading it...didn't work...looked on my photo file for "Photo Stream" and it's not on my IPhone 6S+....I believe I use to have that on my old 4S ....but it's not on this one.

I don't have this issue anywhere else on the web. Makes me wonder if it has something to do with that third party pop up that come on screen (only on the zone) from time to time that I never download. With all the I phone users here, and the number of photos posted there must be a simple workaround.

....went back and dumbed the image quality down to 34 K (Small) emailed it to myself and it still wouldn't upload. Error message this time said it won't take JPEG. files. That seems bizarre that a file type used exclusively on one of the most popular smart phones on the planet is not accepted.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:06:42 AM by SUPflorida »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:49:56 AM »
I'm still on a 5s it used to work until I did a update. Not sure why you don't have the photo stream. It is because it calls them a jpeg not jpg I think.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:44:46 AM »
Yes, just a naming issue.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:47 AM »
Let's try a converted file....

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
Gif works

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »
S/Flo-
That thing looks fast already. Thanks for fighting the jpeg and posting!
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 07:40:55 PM »
A little progress to day....these shots are all of the bottom...sorry for the upside down and side ways photos...when I convert them to gif files the have a mind of their own....well at least the upside down photo give a right side up view...even if unintentional.

Inside the blue tape lines is a double concave...from the inner tape edge out to the rail is flat.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:15:38 PM by SUPflorida »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 09:20:09 PM »
Looks great. More of a DW-type shape than I was expecting.

Where are you putting the fin box, and why?

Fin box positions seem to vary wildly on DW-orientated SUPs.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 06:29:01 AM »
Area 10....thanks for your comments. Not aming for DW but when you start exceeding 14' and your 150-170 lbs...it seems the only logical place to go with the design is to refine the entry and exit points. This inevitably leads to a pin tail or at least a narrow round or square tail...and a sharper entry. So in that regard length kind of homogenizes plan shape to some extent. Rather a broad statement, but look at the majority of unlimiteds and they seem to fit that pattern.

I have access to the intracoastal waterway a couple blocks from my house and have been pushing my distance...one session up to 30 miles.  With all the talk about how much better an unlimited glides in comparison to a 14' I felt it was worth the effort to build a 16'. It will hopefully allow me to cover more distance in the same time, or the same distance in less time.

My approach on this board that sets it apart from the DW offerings will be a flatter rocker line working in conjunction with a piercing nose. I would still like it to function in DB conditions of course, but in the environment it will be used most often, upwind, wind on the quarter, and on the beam in steep chop, DW has to settle for equal billing.

It remains to be seen if this strategy plays out on the water. Any history you may have of someone trying this already and the results they achieved (lessons learned) would be greatly appreciated. The blank is quite flexible longitudinally at this point an rocker adjustments could be made if warrented.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 09:29:08 AM »
Forgot to address the fun placement question...I'm planing 15" to the back of a 10" box. I am paying close attention to Supuk's 16' downwinder,  interested in hearing his take on fin position after he gets it on the water. Different design objectives  for shure, but still the same length.

I'll be making a new fin for this board...the foam/carbon one I made for my 14 worked out well...here is a picture of that one when I was pulling it from potting the base.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »
Oh the finished product after approx 370 miles on it and a couple door jamb interactions.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »
Looks sweet, I like the double concaves.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal