Author Topic: Dumb Question for the Dumb Question guys. Downwind boards more stable with wind?  (Read 5096 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
OS - if anyone -> you would know what to use to learn how to DW.  With all your great vids testing this and that - you must have the most varied experience of anyone on here - hands down!  I still remember your fridge and sofa trials.  Amazing!

And Hana - Seems like you got that sucker locked down!  Awesome!  Even with those weird cosmetic paint scratches - that board rocks no matter what - in big breeze.  SIC boards are killer for that.  Stable on plane!!!   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
You can absolutely do it on a surefboard. I still do about 30 percent of my DW runs on a surfboard. It's slower, and you can't connect bumps very well, but it's very fun. Every big drop is like a surfing wave--sort of.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
SUPcheat, If there is any chance at all to have your first few downwind sessions on a lake, then this is the ticket.  We have one local run on Lake Washington which relative to Puget Sound or the Columbia River is a piece of cake.  I have taken beginners out in all 3 places and invariably they have much more success on the lake.  The lack of other dynamic features in the water such as currents & tides allows for smooth, predictable bumps.  It amounts to the difference between a groomed intermediate run and a double black chute.

Interestingly, this is true even on really, really windy days.  40 mph in the Gorge is epic, but frightening & no place to get started. On the lake, however, 40 mph is actually the ideal set of conditions for a beginner to catch big bumps.

The critical TOTW piece for more complex runs such as Maliko & Viento are the natural micro-adjustments necessary to stay on the board during periods of side chop. I bet this type of bracing accounts for 50% of energy expended on these runs for all but the most experienced paddlers.  This skill is relevant for all downwind runs but is less vital on a lake.  In general on a lake, the board will feel more stable which allows more time to focus on timing your bursts into bumps and perfecting your footwork.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Eagle,THANKS I'm getting better and really enjoy the DW trips.  SIC refunded enough to make the scratches OK and I rub the board down in the saltwater each time before I start the seesion and after each session and rinse with fresh water at home. You really have to look at the right angles to see scratches anymore and I think I'll have them rubbed out by winter time. Thanks for recommending the board...love it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:27:15 PM by HanaSurf »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Now that's what we're talkin bout!  Perfecto!!!
All the best.  Cheers!   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
I'm too chicken for something like that, and learn too slowly. I think that I would practice on one for a while in calm conditions and then hire a downwind wet nurse for a couple of runs. 

Maybe next year to Maui and ask Headmount to take me out to do a mild Maliko just to say I did it.

I have never taken surfing lessons, but wouldn't do any downwinding without lessons and a guide.

Sounds like a wise plan.

FYI - Crown Beach in Alameda is the cowells/waikiki of DW runs, about as safe as it gets.  Windsurfers and now kitesurfers come from all over Cali to learn here.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard