Author Topic: Big Sunova USA Sale going on.  (Read 35756 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Big Sunova USA Sale going on.
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2016, 08:37:10 AM »
  Well, I didn't like it on the B&B so I'm not optimistic about it on the Style.  My favorite fin so far, thanks to you, is the Skeg.  Man, I like that fin.  As you know, I've been thinking about the true ames D1 and D2.  The D2 is half an inch deeper but the D1 is supposed to have more surface area.  I dunno.  Why don't you buy both of them and tell me which one you like better, ha ha?
  btw / that lead should be arriving today or tomorrow.  keep me posted on what you do w/ it!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »
Ha ha....well, that is why I've not purchased either yet - I can't decide which one to get,
yeah, the D2 is deeper but the D1 has more surface area and a wider base.

One of my theories was that the wider base was what made the Rainbow Skeg
so good for noseriding & stability.  But that kind of went out the window when
I found the 10" Rainbow Wingnut Cutaway was almost as good for noseriding
(although I don't remember how stable - probably not as much) and I think with
less paddling drag & far narrower base.  So then I noticed how much heavier the skeg
was and on to the weight part of the theory making the tail less floaty - yeah,
I've got my eye out for the lead.  I'll keep you posted.

(Also the Noll has the widest base of all and is not as good as the Rainbow Skeg
and is not nearly as heavy, plus it is also taller - more overall surface area
(Skeg has a thicker foil) still a great fin.)

I probably will get the D2 first...but   lol   I keep ocillating back and forth.
Yeah, just get both of them at the same time and get it over with - maybe save on shipping - not sure.
I'm going to wait until after a lead experiment.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:55:03 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »
I ordered a Sunova Flow 8.7 through them.

About $1347 delivered.

I gather the merchants are Israeli who got a warehouse lot of the boards, and when they are gone, they are gone.

The strangest part is the payment goes through an African online group called 3G Direct Pay. I looked them up, they are legit, but are African based, which makes it eccentric.  They rejected my credit card.  I then had to go through three browsers to make Paypal work, but it finally did with Firefox.  Chrome and Safari (Mac) wouldn't push through the Paypal portal.

The Flow is reputedly easier to balance than the Speeed, so I went down a size from the 8'10" Speeed with my fingers crossed.  If I can't handle it, then I guess I will have a Sunova Flow 8.7 for sale for cheap.  I can't seriously see ever going down further from that length/volume, unless I am reincarnated as Johnny Maya.

That is if I get it, Ha!  If I get ripped off, I will post.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:11:08 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
Did you keep the Speeed, Cheat?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »
Hi, Zoo,

Yes I did:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30218.msg327254.html#msg327254

My original thought was to buy a Fanatic Stubby 8'6" and go tomo because I have been so pleased with the Prowave.  However, the Sunova boards are so well built and light, they are hard to resist value wise.

I will have two Sunova boards for less than the price of one new Stubby LTD.  That is, if the the Sunova Flow 8'7" is delivered. 

I will endeavor to see if I can adapt to the 8'7" Flow as my shortest ambition.   If not, it is sale time!  I think I might be OK if the Flow is about the same general balance challenge as the Prowave, at least in mild to moderate conditions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:40:42 PM by SUPcheat »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
Hi, Zoo,

Yes I did:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30218.msg327254.html#msg327254

My original thought was to buy a Fanatic Stubby 8'6" and go tomo because I have been so pleased with the Prowave.  However, the Sunova boards are so well built and light, they are hard to resist value wise.

I will have two Sunova boards for less than the price of one new Stubby LTD.  That is, if the the Sunova Flow 8'7" is delivered. 

I will endeavor to see if I can adapt to the 8'7" Flow as my shortest ambition.   If not, it is sale time!  I think I might be OK if the Flow is about the same general balance challenge as the Prowave, at least in mild to moderate conditions.

Will that make you a Sunova beach?  :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:15:35 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2016, 04:37:05 AM »
cheat: my paying experience was the same as yours and my worries the same, too.  but, within a few days i got a tracking number and three or four days after that, the boards were delivered.  ymmv but i don't see why the happy same shouldn't be yer experience as well.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2016, 05:42:52 AM »
NorthJerzSurfer: Okay, I've got the 9.75" version of the Stage 6 that I tried in my Jimmy B&B and didn't like at all.  I'll give it a go in my 10' Style XL and see how it goes.  (BTW, eventhough I weigh only 170 lbs, my balance issues are such that the regular 10' style was too tippy for me.  Even the XL is a challenge, but I'm hoping to stick with it and see if I can adapt.  Tried the 11" Jimmy fin on it and liked it much better than the stock tri fin set up, though stability was unchanged....)

p.s. What I also want to try with the Stage 6 are the smaller FCS Bonzer side bites.  Could add just enough hold without interfering with anything else.  Only problem is, you can only buy em with the larger ones, as a set of four, for over $100, and no can do.

Linter.  I guess it kind of depends on what you want out of the style VS the B&B.  you are really fortunate to have two great longboard shapes.

If i was in your shoes- I would keep the B&B with a true noserider fin to let it do what it does best...no turning, cutbacks etc...just trimming and getting those toes up to the front....and then try the Style with some type of Notched fin- maybe with sidebites (they do help stability a little) but try to get it as lively as possible without sacrificing all your stability.  Sounds like you have a good inventor of Single skegs to play with...also awesome.

That way you really have two boards that will do two things great.

Ideally- i'd find someone to take my old Ile Glider 10'10 off my hands and get the B&B as my 'flatwater' board to go out with my wife when she is on the style...and then i sneakily have two killer boards for the surf and two to get out on the bay!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2016, 09:51:35 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts, NJS.  Yeah, I have no intention of selling my B&B.  Love that board.  But I do love how well and fast the Style is able to come around sections and such.  Pretty cool.  The thing for me is seeing if I can get it stable enough for me to have fun on.  If it's going to be a constant struggle, then it's not worth it.  We should be getting waves on Sat, so my plan is to try the Stage 6 and see how it feels both with side bites and without.  I also want to try my 8.5 d-type Skeg fin, but the Style's fin box is set much further up than the B&B's, so I won't be able to get the fin as far back on the tail as it should be.  We'll see.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »
I have the Stage 6 all the way to the front of the box to help it turn...but i have the bigger model than you and wanted to make it turn as well as 'kinda' noseride....

it took me a few sessions to get use to the whole Sunova 'secondary stability' but it is there when you find it.  Truth be told i hated the board for the first 2 hours (as I do most boards as im impatient to find their sweet spot) and once i found the right stability and changed the fin out i havent messed with it since.

Linter do you have the Concave nose or regular nose on you B&B. Ridden on RI Point breaks I assume?

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »
   Concave nose.  Would love to have gotten a flat one but none were available.

Hopefully, the secondary stability will kick in .... maybe this weekend?

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
cheat: my paying experience was the same as yours and my worries the same, too.  but, within a few days i got a tracking number and three or four days after that, the boards were delivered.  ymmv but i don't see why the happy same shouldn't be yer experience as well.

Thanks, Linter,

Your successful transaction and delivery is the only reason I went through with it.  Otherwise, I would have not considered it worth the risk.  Thanks or posting that.

I'm having it delivered to my neighbor in Santa Cruz because he is here all the time.  I told him that when he gets a board, it isn't Christmas, it 's mine.  He has been humming "jingle bells" around me ever since  so I hope he gives it back to me.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »
hope it works out.  when did you pay and have you had any communication with the seller since then?   i did it all on PMs on Facebook and he was pretty responsive, except over one weekend.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
It was the same guy, Yael.  He did get back quickly, but said that the money had to clear, they would make sure they had it in inventory, and then follow up.

You place the order, then wait for them to send you a payment request.  I placed it twice while wondering what was gong on, but he said he was cancelling the other one, probably because he only had one 8.7 Flow, anyway.

We went back and forth while I was trying to get the payment through.  Wells Fargo Visa didn't authorize and actually placed a hold on my CC because of the 3G African site.  I had to call Wells Fargo back to take the hold off the card.  Then, it took three browsers to find one that would link the the paypal portal, and I paid that way.

It's just been two days so far.

I'm really not that worried, it is just strange compared to the usual routes of payment, and tends to smack of the bogus even though it isn't.

Before paying, I looked up the 3G site to see if it had any reports or complaints, and everything came back that it was OK but African/Middle East because Yael is in Isreal.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:59:19 PM by SUPcheat »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal