Author Topic: Big Sunova USA Sale going on.  (Read 35745 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Big Sunova USA Sale going on.
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »
I think MSRP in the US is $1750.

$1500 would be a really good deal.

You won't get the correct price using the conversion.

If I remember correctly, JimK gives a nice Zoner discount for these boards so it might be good idea to check with him.
in progress...

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »
I think MSRP in the US is $1750.

$1500 would be a really good deal.

You won't get the correct price using the conversion.

If I remember correctly, JimK gives a nice Zoner discount for these boards so it might be good idea to check with him.

Somewhere between those numbers when I got my board from JimK. They are priced competitively with any of the global brands, and most local ones. Worth that price for the Speeed, which I think is a board that is truly different. Honestly, if you are looking at any of the more conventional shapes I would check your local shapers first. Even at these sale prices you might be able to have something made that fits you and your local conditions better.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
nm

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2016, 02:14:33 PM »
   I believe the msrp for the 10' and up Styles is $100 more, or $1850, plus shipping, of course, depending on who you buy from.

All this and everything else in this thread being said, I took both boards out today in very challenging (for me) semi-choppy on-shore conditions and did not have fun.  The 10'XL is 138 L, I believe, while my go-to Jimmy B&B is 164L.  That's a lot of difference in liters, which makes for a lot of difference in stability.  Many bug-eyed and excited Sunova owners like to talk about how stable their boards are for their size, made so by the design, etc etc and so forth ad nauseam.  Maybe after a few more sessions I'll be convinced of that but for the moment, the jury is in the jury room and waiting for a better day on the water.  I'm squinty eyed, hoping for bug eyed.

Meanwhile, I think the Sunova US site is down.  Maybe all the boards have been sold?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2016, 01:36:05 PM »
One who trademarked his childhood nickname may package well - that's good. Better-the-better.

However; "This is why the shipping weight was listed on the bill of laden (sic) as "85 pounds" ..might not be correct.  Perhaps, 'dimensional' weight?

An extra box, atop normal packaging would not likely have added 50lbs to a small carbon board.  It's also kind of naive of NW to think scribbling on the box is ever noticed.  As imperious as he seems, even one so dogmatic is really at the mercy of the shipping gods ..just like us plebs.  I hope taking a dump in a Sunnova thread gave him some relief.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
 I'm bug-eyed and not really caring about the cardboard box anymore.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »
An extra box, atop normal packaging would not likely have added 50lbs to a small carbon board.  It's also kind of naive of NW to think scribbling on the box is ever noticed.  As imperious as he seems, even one so dogmatic is really at the mercy of the shipping gods ..just like us plebs.  I hope taking a dump in a Sunnova thread gave him some relief.

Jim

We noted before we had a board shipped from back east and it had "NO FORKLIFTS" and "FRAGILE" clearly written in big capital black letters on both sides of box.  Big clear thick black felt pen letters.  The shipping box however was clearly damaged and punctured where a forklift picked up the box.  The person loading completely disregarded what was written.

There might be something said for a curved box that cannot be easily picked up by a forklift - and must be moved by hand.  As well - stacking other boxes over a curved box might be less likely.  The frustrating aspect is that you have to sign before they let you touch the box.  This was at the shipping depot anyways.  It might be different if you have it delivered to your office or residence.

We wrote "subject to inspection" - but still.  We told him we were going to take photos and video to document the damage - and they did not care.  Anyways the retailer told us to do that process - so we did.  That way they could go after the shipper if necessary.  The retailer also took a number of pictures and forwarded them to us beforehand - so we knew what to expect when we opened the box.  Fortunately the forklift just missed the board.  It was single boxed with bubble wrap and inside a board bag.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2016, 03:48:12 PM »
Don't be a schmuck, inspect first then sign, that's the process.

Generally the terms are, "your signature on the delivery receipt indicates that you have inspected the package and accepted it in satisfactory condition".

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »
Seemed foolish but whatcha gonna do.  They told me sign -> then open and inspect outside.  No option -> otherwise no box for you!  Kinda like a shipper nazi mentality.    :o ;D

Was told that may be their policy.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »
If you pay by credit card are you protected from shipping damage?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2016, 08:22:14 AM »
   I'm going to start off with the regular one (29" wide, i think) with the Skeg fin (so I can compared it to the B&B) and see if I can even stay upright on it.  If I can, I'm going to be pretty happy.  If I can't, maybe I'll try the 11" Jimmy fin.  I'm not a fan of three fins, for some reason; but if all else fails, I might throw on that 9.75" Stage 6 with some side bites and see if there's magic in the combo.  and, if nothing works, i'll swap for the XL.  And ifn I can't manage that, then I'll return 100% to old faithful B&B ... and sell the Sunova for hopefully close to what I bought it for ... at the very least, i won't take the hit I'd have taken if it'd cost me retail.  Yay!
   IMO, anyone wanting one of these boards right now ought to hop on the deal and if possible double up with a buddy.  shipping for one board was the same as two boards, a very reasonable $150, so it was 75 a person.  Sweet!

Linter-
I have the 10'6 style.  I run it with a Single Stage 6  9in Greenaugh True Ames.  the fin has made the board magic.  set up as a thruster with that HUGE stock fin the board had the turning radius of a 747, and was about as lively.

With the Stage 6 as a single you still can pivot (relatively) quick for waves because of the notch, but it will stay sticky for getting up to the nose.  I dont ride the board in anything bigger than waist high- so losing the sidebites is fine for me since Im never agressively bottom turning- but would be the drawback of the setup for ome.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2016, 08:59:40 AM »
If you pay by credit card are you protected from shipping damage?

Generally not, if you've signed off on the delivery receipt.  Keep in mind that by signing you are declaring that the item is free from damage. 

If it's a big ticket item, you should always give yourself the opportunity to inspect before taking delivery.  An added benefit to unboxing at delivery is, they will likely take the packaging material off your hands. 

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2016, 11:40:41 AM »
The safer route is to refuse accepting the item if you see any damage to the box.  In our circumstance we could have done that.  And we were lucky.  But we did note on the BOL that there was damage to the box and the contents were subject to inspection.  We took a video and photos as we unpackaged the board at the depot and there was a friend present as a witness.

Probably what should have been done was to contact the retailer and have them deal with the shipper directly to resolve the matter.  This way you are taken out of the equation as the consumer.  Problem with that is - in this instance anyways - you would have been delayed and inconvenienced from getting a perfectly undamaged board.  You may have had to return another day. 

The damage we saw looked like it was from the forklift crushing the void in the box as it lifted the package.  The damage looked somewhat minor in that way - and did not look like the package was dropped or suffered serious damage.  But sometimes it is better to be safer than sorry.   ;)

BW has this shipping damage policy -

"By signing the delivery receipt, you have accepted the article to be in perfect condition. If the receipt is signed without noting any damage, then a claim cannot be processed.

* If you feel there may be possible damage to the shipment even though there is no visible damage to the shipping box, write “SUBJECT TO INSPECTION” when signing for freight"

http://boardworkssurf.com/help/shipping-returns/
Fast is FUN!   8)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2016, 02:33:49 AM »
NorthJerzSurfer: Okay, I've got the 9.75" version of the Stage 6 that I tried in my Jimmy B&B and didn't like at all.  I'll give it a go in my 10' Style XL and see how it goes.  (BTW, eventhough I weigh only 170 lbs, my balance issues are such that the regular 10' style was too tippy for me.  Even the XL is a challenge, but I'm hoping to stick with it and see if I can adapt.  Tried the 11" Jimmy fin on it and liked it much better than the stock tri fin set up, though stability was unchanged....)

p.s. What I also want to try with the Stage 6 are the smaller FCS Bonzer side bites.  Could add just enough hold without interfering with anything else.  Only problem is, you can only buy em with the larger ones, as a set of four, for over $100, and no can do.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:40:31 AM by linter »

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2016, 07:49:17 AM »
Linter, for me, I notice a big difference in ease of balance with the larger area fins
as compared to the smaller area fins.

The other day I switched from 10.25” The Purchase by True Ames - which is pretty deep and wide bottom to top
to a 11.5" Naish Glide AST fin (which I think is really for downwinders) - it is deep but pretty narrow bottom to top
and has noticeably less surface area than The Purchase fin.

The narrow Glide fin actually noserides great (kind of side slips) But I had a more difficult time taking off with it
because the board would tip far more when paddling for a wave.  I also noticed the difference
going over the white water - more tippy.

It will be interesting to see how the Stage 6 works for you.  I'm wondering if the extra area on the tip
will make up for the substantially less area at the base through the middle.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal