Author Topic: Big Sunova USA Sale going on.  (Read 35746 times)

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Big Sunova USA Sale going on.
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2016, 05:59:28 PM »
Really tempted to get the Speeed, but cant decide between 8'10" or to be super comfy with a 9'2".

Vic has the 8'10" locally, but haven't been able to get in touch to try it out again.

Just sent you a text.  you can come over tonight or tomorrow and grab it and use it over the weekend.

vic
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2016, 07:40:45 PM »
Thanks, Vic.  I sent a text. I will swing by to pick it up tomorrow, Friday, after 6PM and give you a call first.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 03:25:17 AM »
The service from the seller might have been good, but looking at the first "bent" shipping box, I wouldn't buy anything from this seller because of his "cheap" packaging for an item which costs four figures.
   the packaging isn't "his".  it's "sunova's".  that being the case, you shouldn't buy a "sunova," no matter who sells it.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2016, 07:47:21 PM »
Well, I got Vic's 8'10" Speed on a "borrow to buy" basis.  If it is torture to balance, than I will defer and maybe wait for a 9'2".

It really is an interesting board to look at, even for a callow young surfer such as myself.  It looks like it is a chimera between a Tomo and a longboard, like a 50-50 hybrid.  The designer might not agree, but that's the way it looks to me.

Laying it over the 9'3"x30.5 Prowave, it doesn't look any narrower.  I guess the Prowave narrows precipitously from its widest point both fore and aft, so the Speeed looks like it has lots more surface to water area.  It has the strange illusion of appearing larger than the Prowave, even though it is 5 inches shorter and nominally an inch and a quarter narrower.  The Speeed carries the width over a much greater length, though, until you get to the very tail where it narrows.

When I was on it once, I thought it was noticeably easier to balance than the demon Prowave, which surprised me.  I guess the question is HOW MUCH easier, which I will try to figure out over the next two days.  If it is about 20 percent easier to balance or so, than that's good.  If it is about the same as the Prowave, but offers a joyously novel surfing experience, then that's good, too.

I am still improving in my Prowave balance slowly.  It has some strange tendencies in some currents, like going from OK secondary balance to suddenly going on a 45 degree angle and STAYING there, like a giant's hand is holding it to slide me off.

I have managed to move my Prowave into beater status by crunching the nose, however, so I am not sure how much useful life is left without a major overhaul and repair.

The Prowave is always fun for me though, and I haven't ridden my easier to balance and also fun Vernor more than twice for a year and half. Maybe I am just a masochist.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:53:11 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »
The service from the seller might have been good, but looking at the first "bent" shipping box, I wouldn't buy anything from this seller because of his "cheap" packaging for an item which costs four figures.
   the packaging isn't "his".  it's "sunova's".  that being the case, you shouldn't buy a "sunova," no matter who sells it.

You are correct. I would ask and have no problem paying extra for it no matter the cost, to have custom packaging done to greatly reduce the risk of damage during transport. If Sunova would say; "no" to my request, then my answer to Sunova would be, "no sale" no matter who sells it since Sunova is an expensive sup. That bent shipping carton in that photo, soured me on the Sunova brand due to the shoddy packaging.

Getting slightly off topic, but my custom SUP Sports Hammer 8'11" built to my specifications on length, thickness and liters of volume (and SUP Sports is also the manufacturer of the Hammer model) which I picked up today at my local FedEx shipping terminal was packaged so strongly (double boxed heavy gauge cardboard, extra heavy cardboard to cover nose, tail, rails and bubble wrapped to the hilt), it was the equivalent of breaking into a bank vault with a time lock. Strong packaging like that can take a lot of abuse from any shipping company.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2016, 11:30:24 PM »
If you are expecting the rigidity of a cardboard box to be what protects your board, you're going to have a bad time.
That box is the shape it is in by design. Nothing shoddy about it.
It was a half hour project unwrapping my Speeed. They were meticulous about it.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2016, 02:31:12 AM »
  i agree, surfingsports boxes its boards like no one else.  but, i'm surfing the board not the box.  hey, to each his own :-)!

supthecreek

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2016, 03:32:22 AM »
Night Wing

My experience with Sunova boxes.
I have unpacked a LOT of these boards. 2 containers worth. They are extremely well packaged.

"Shoddy" is not what I would call Tino's efforts to see his boards arrive safely.
I have also, never seen a board come from a Sunova shipping container, that was damaged, because everything is done by hand, by people who truly care.

Picture's #1 & 2 shows the OWNER of Sunova (blue shirt), hand loading boards into the truck on our last Demo Tour.
Tino is meticulous about packaging and packing, he is there when the containers are hand loaded at the factory and he hand loaded every board on all of our trips.

The packaging in these pics is what you find inside the "bent" box.
Yup, more packaging, strangely in the shape of a SUP  :)

The boards inside the boxes are "bent".... it's the rocker
#3 is what a SUP would look like inside an "unbent" box

Trucking companies and their forklifts are the wild card in the delivery sequence.

That's why I am driving to JimK's today.... to hand deliver 4 boards to Long Island, Nantucket and Cape Cod. ;D

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2016, 04:48:29 AM »
I don't have a stake in any of this but I have seen a shipment of boards come in to my local shop.  They were all pretty much packed like the Sunovas. It wouldn't scare me. If anything it might make the shippers have to move it by hand since it isn't a regular shaped box they can use a forklift on. or just stack stuff on top of.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2016, 05:35:16 AM »
@supthecreek

Looks like I've ruffled a few feathers or have seen to hit a raw nerve. So be it. And this will be my last post in this thread which means I won't open this topic to look at it anymore.

My custom built Hammer looked just like those Sunova sups being loaded inside the truck with the bent look to it (and I'm quite familiar with "rocker" since I'm a former boat captain). However, my Hammer was placed inside a second all rectangular carton which consisted of heavy cardboard. This carton wasn't bent looking either even though my packaged bent looking Hammer was placed inside of it. Then this rectangular carton was then put inside a second rectangular carton which consisted of heavy duty cardboard. That is basically "triple" boxed". This is why the shipping weight was listed on the bill of laden as "85 pounds".

As for shipping companies and forklifts. Business owners know which companies to avoid if those shipping companies have many complaints for delivering goods damaged at their final destination. I don't know how Sunova deals with shipping companies, but I do know SUP Sports insured my Hammer at their end and I had to do before taking delivery of my Hammer, was to write on the bill of laden, "Possible Concealed Damage Pending Full Inspection" and I went over that one "large" shipping carton "with a fine toothed comb". This way, if there was any damage to my Hammer, SUP Sports and FedEx would tangle with each other and I would be left out of it. As for forklifts, all one has to do with a magic marker is to write on all sides of a large carton in very large words, "No Forklift".

In closing, I never said Sunova builds bad sups. Sunova sups are excellently designed boards and they aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Cost for the different models (Flow, Speed, Soul) seem to start at around $2000. But at that price, in my own personal opinion, they need to be packaged better. This is why I would be very hesitant to purchase a custom built Sunova and have it shipped to me. My custom built Hammer 8'11" (all carbon and 140 liters instead of 148 liters which is standard for a production built Hammer 8'11") cost me $2200.50 and when I'm spending that amount of money, I don't mind paying anything extra for an excellent packaging job if you get my drift. This is why if I would have bought a custom built Sunova, it would have to be packaged the way I want it no matter the cost since I'm going to be paying for it anyway. If a company doesn't want to package it to my specifications, then no sale.

I'm about your age and I've got a nose for details. I think you're 68 years of age and I'm 66 years of age so this should tell you since you've been around the block many times, so have I.

End of discussion.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:37:42 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SupPadre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2016, 05:57:44 AM »
I purchased an 8'10 speed last year and it arrived in excellent condition and with more than adequate packaging. I  was surprised how quickly the board arrived.  I ordered from JimK on a Sunday afternoon and it was delivered on Thursday.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2016, 07:49:13 AM »
If  you  have  a  board  shipped  to  you  you  need  to  open  it  up  before  you  accept  it . If  there  is  damage ,  don't  accept  it  an  it's  the  shipper  and  the  seller  problem .

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2016, 07:49:48 AM »
$2000 is AUD.  They are around $1500 US.  Not that it matters.  Just don't want people to get confused.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2016, 08:51:28 AM »
I think MSRP in the US is $1750.

$1500 would be a really good deal.

You won't get the correct price using the conversion.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:56:16 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »
Good to know.