Author Topic: Flat Water Paddle Boarding - Is It Enough?  (Read 7309 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Flat Water Paddle Boarding - Is It Enough?
« on: July 03, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
Just wondering your thoughts on flat water paddle boarding and if this is all the exercise we need? Almost all of my paddle boarding is on a local lake and my time on my board is mostly what I get for exercise. I'm wondering if this is enough?

Although I don’t measure my heart beat I know I can get pretty good cardio, so that box is checked. And I suppose the lower body gets a decent workout to keep balanced on the board. Core definitely gets a good workout. That only leaves upper body.

Any thoughts on whether or not we get enough exercise just with flat water paddling?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

TeachSB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Water Paddle Boarding - Is It Enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
That's a super complicated question. I'd have to say, enough exercise for what?  What is your goal with exercising?
Focus Smoothie 9' x 32"
PSH Wide All Rounder 11' x 30"

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 12:19:05 PM »
That's a super complicated question. I'd have to say, enough exercise for what?  What is your goal with exercising?

Yes, O.K., good point. I guess I’m just wanting to know if flat water paddling is enough to keep me in decent shape. I’m 63 years old, 5’ 8” tall and weigh approx. 150 pounds. I would say I’m in pretty good shape for my age. As I grow older I want to stay active and in good shape.

And I suppose that’s really what I’m asking. Is flat water paddling enough exercise to ensure that I’ll be able to stay active and in good health as I grow older?

I know exercise is important to stay healthy. Just curious if others think flat water paddling is enough exercise to stay healthy, or do we need to be doing other types of exercise as well.

I'm talking about general fitness. Not trying for anything specialized other than good health and fitness as I get older.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »
When I get my new sup around the middle of July (and it can be used for flat water & sup surfing); since I'm retired and at my age of 66, 5' 8" tall and weighing 145 pounds, I plan on being on the "water", 3 times a week. My sessions will last a minimum of 60 minutes and I will stop when I start to get tired. If I can squeeze in a 4th day during a week, I will.

Am I doing this for exercise. My answer is, "no". I'm doing it for the sheer "fun" of it. The way I look at it. With the fun I'll be having, the exercise that goes along with the fun, is just an............added bonus.  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »
It certainly covers a lot of different aspects of movement that can be beneficial for long term health. Upper and lower body, fairly good on the muscular endurance, gets you outside for a bit of vitamin D, and it's pretty much a life long sport like tennis. That being said you will lack the efficiency of resistance training for keeping skeletal muscle into your later years. Which will help you be metabolically more resistant to the normal aging processes. So, in short, yeah it's probably one of the better single sport activities for better health but for optimal health you'll need to do resistance training too.
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »
When I get my new sup around the middle of July (and it can be used for flat water & sup surfing); since I'm retired and at my age of 66, 5' 8" tall and weighing 145 pounds, I plan on being on the "water", 3 times a week. My sessions will last a minimum of 60 minutes and I will stop when I start to get tired. If I can squeeze in a 4th day during a week, I will.

Am I doing this for exercise. My answer is, "no". I'm doing it for the sheer "fun" of it. The way I look at it. With the fun I'll be having, the exercise that goes along with the fun, is just an............added bonus.  ;)

I also paddle for fun and for the sheer enjoyment. I have always loved the water and to me at least there is something almost magical about being on the water on a paddle board.

Having said the above, I am also competitive. So I will time myself (I have a Speed Coach) and try and beat previous times. I also go in some races we have on our lake. I’m never going to be a Connor Baxter or Travis Grant and I don’t aspire to be.

So I guess what I’m saying is I paddle for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is definitely for the sheer joy of being on the water on my board, but I also do paddle for fitness and I do go out for what I would call “fitness paddle sessions”.

ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 12:55:04 PM »
It certainly covers a lot of different aspects of movement that can be beneficial for long term health. Upper and lower body, fairly good on the muscular endurance, gets you outside for a bit of vitamin D, and it's pretty much a life long sport like tennis. That being said you will lack the efficiency of resistance training for keeping skeletal muscle into your later years. Which will help you be metabolically more resistant to the normal aging processes. So, in short, yeah it's probably one of the better single sport activities for better health but for optimal health you'll need to do resistance training too.

Thank you. Excellent response. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks again!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 02:31:21 PM »
If you are paddling at a good pace for an hour each time you go out, you are better off than most adults in the USA. 

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »

I know natas in real life (he coaches our local sup team) and I trust his advice on this. He has decades of experience as a strength and fitness coach, and is incredibly fit himself. The team members are doing about three sessions on the water per week and two strength training days per week. All the water and gym sessions are less than an hour, but pretty varied and intense.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 03:39:07 PM »
I would say, yes. I stopped going to the gym 2.5 years ago and running and just paddle. I would say that in my mid 50s that I am in better shape from paddling 3 days a week than I was doing 3 days a week in the gym. I've also been surprised when I do go for the occasional run how easy it is. You would think that SUP is only upper body but no. There is a lot of leg work involved if you are paddling properly and even better if you are on the ocean. I would say that 1/2 the time I am paddling in semi flat water conditions in the ocean and the rest is full Ocean / downwind runs. To get really fit downwinding or upwind / downwind loops are by far the best so I try and go out no matter what the conditions. My goal is to paddle 1,000kms per year so this is around 20kms a week or 12.5miles and with work and business taking time out for paddling I aim for more. So my recommendation is go for it and see how you feel after a few months. The wonderful thing about SUP is it is low impact and works those micro muscles. Perfect for keeping the effects of aging at bay.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:40:48 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 03:50:32 PM »
I would pay attention to your shoulders, it may be too much and eventually you'll pay the price. If they start to bother you, I'd mix in cycling or other leg intense activities to save them for "fun" Sup paddling. I'm getting back on the bike after nothing but SUP over the past 6 years due to sudden onset of shoulder issues, wish I mixed it up earlier.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 04:39:42 PM »
I would pay attention to your shoulders, it may be too much and eventually you'll pay the price. If they start to bother you, I'd mix in cycling or other leg intense activities to save them for "fun" Sup paddling. I'm getting back on the bike after nothing but SUP over the past 6 years due to sudden onset of shoulder issues, wish I mixed it up earlier.

Thanks for the tip on the shoulders. My right shoulder is fine with no issues whatsoever, but my left shoulder does get sore at times. I especially notice it if I’m out for a while. I’m going to have to pay closer attention, but my impression is that anything over 5 km. and my left shoulder starts getting sore.

There was a video posted on here a while ago, with Dave Chun from Kialoa Paddles talking about changing your paddling technique so your top hand does not go above your shoulder. I did try it briefly and will maybe have to take an even closer look at it.

Thanks again.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
I work as a physician, and though i am not an expert in geriatrics or sports medicine, i do care for aging people all day long, and i am a competitive athlete myself.  I will share my personal conclusions on sports and aging:

Aging well is a mixture of 3 elements:
1. Genes
2. Luck (things out of your control that hapoen to you)
3. Taking care of yourself (diet, exercise, aporopriate medical care)

Any one of those can can trump the others. We all know people that drink and smoke and dont exercise and still have good health into their 80s. We also all know people that have done everything right, but are crippled by genes that condemn them to poor aging, or bad luck in terms of accidents, infections, etc. All things being equal, taking care of yourself should make you age better, but all things are not equal. You should take care of yourself of course, but recognize that being in good athletic shape now is still far from a guarantee that you will age well going forward.

Moreover, it is not clear what the best way to take care of yourself is if your goal is aging well. If your goal is to be as fast as possible on a SUP in 5 years, there are well established pathways to achieve that. Those pathways however may not be the ones that also lead to healthy aging.

Some things to keep in mind:
1. Overtraining of the muskuloskeletal system can lead to permanent overuse injuries to the shoulders,spine, and many other body parts
2. Endurance athletes who overtrain the heart are at increased of dangerous cardiac arrhythmias as you age
3. Taking risks (paddling with stormy weather brewing, paddling near powerboats, carrying the board over slippery rocks) can suddenly and permanently derail an otherwise smooth transition into a healthful second half of life.

In my judgement the best exercise routine as you age is one that is easy on the skeletal system, is enjoyable enough that it motivates you to keep doing it, and avoids risk. If your body holds up well to SUP, then i think it meets all exercise requirements (strength, endurance, balance, coordination). I don't think you need anything else. You are not trying to make the olympics.

Don't ovedo it. Don't set unrealustic goals that will lead to discouragement if you don't achieve them. Don't allow your sports to get in the way of relationships in your life such that one or they other becomes unsustainable (social interaction is very important to aging well). And finally dont put all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup sport you can still enjoy if you shoulder gets blown out. And keep a backup non-athletic interest alive for incase your whole body blows out.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:34:40 PM by zachhandler »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 08:22:05 PM »
I work as a physician, and though i am not an expert in geriatrics or sports medicine, i do care for aging people all day long, and i am a competitive athlete myself.  I will share my personal conclusions on sports and aging:

Aging well is a mixture of 3 elements:
1. Genes
2. Luck (things out of your control that hapoen to you)
3. Taking care of yourself (diet, exercise, aporopriate medical care)

Any one of those can can trump the others. We all know people that drink and smoke and dont exercise and still have good health into their 80s. We also all know people that have done everything right, but are crippled by genes that condemn them to poor aging, or bad luck in terms of accidents, infections, etc. All things being equal, taking care of yourself should make you age better, but all things are not equal. You should take care of yourself of course, but recognize that being in good athletic shape now is still far from a guarantee that you will age well going forward.

Moreover, it is not clear what the best way to take care of yourself is if your goal is aging well. If your goal is to be as fast as possible on a SUP in 5 years, there are well established pathways to achieve that. Those pathways however may not be the ones that also lead to healthy aging.

Some things to keep in mind:
1. Overtraining of the muskuloskeletal system can lead to permanent overuse injuries to the shoulders,spine, and many other body parts
2. Endurance athletes who overtrain the heart are at increased of dangerous cardiac arrhythmias as you age
3. Taking risks (paddling with stormy weather brewing, paddling near powerboats, carrying the board over slippery rocks) can suddenly and permanently derail an otherwise smooth transition into a healthful second half of life.

In my judgement the best exercise routine as you age is one that is easy on the skeletal system, is enjoyable enough that it motivates you to keep doing it, and avoids risk. If your body holds up well to SUP, then i think it meets all exercise requirements (strength, endurance, balance, coordination). I don't think you need anything else. You are not trying to make the olympics.

Don't ovedo it. Don't set unrealustic goals that will lead to discouragement if you don't achieve them. Don't allow your sports to get in the way of relationships in your life such that one or they other becomes unsustainable (social interaction is very important to aging well). And finally dont put all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup sport you can still enjoy if you shoulder gets blown out. And keep a backup non-athletic interest alive for incase your whole body blows out.

Excellent insight. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and providing your perspective. I think it is really interesting that you bring up the social aspect and how it relates to aging well. Something that is often overlooked, but I believe is one of the key ingredients. Thanks again.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 05:20:46 PM »
Wow, Zach, great summary, should be an infomercial! Only 47, but just found out I have severe carpal tunnel in wrists, elbows, and a pinched nerve in shoulder, I just can't believe it's from paddling. Very depressing, but hope to still paddle once a week and bike other times.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal