Author Topic: Yukon River Quest  (Read 3159 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Yukon River Quest
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:24:16 PM »
Great reporting on the Yukon River Quest on SUP Racer.  This is the first time Stand Up Paddlers are allowed to compete in this epic 444 mile race down the Yukon River in Canada.  The paddlers have been racing for 3 days with  two mandatory stops: the first at roughly half way is 7 hours, the second mandatory stop is 3 hours.  You can follow the paddlers on a live GPS map, Bart de Zwart is in the lead but second and third are not too far behind battling for second place.  After doing the California 100 mile race down the Sacramento River a few weeks ago I caught the super long distance adventure racing bug and this one is on my bucket list, for sure:

http://www.supracer.com/2016-yukon-river-quest-update/

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:40:56 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Yukon River Quest
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:39:53 PM »
Incredible and almost unbelievable.  I guess SUP has its lunatic fringe endurance epic (or one of them).
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:00:20 AM »
What an amazing endurance race......in just stunning scenery too.....could it ever get better? The SUP paddlers on this trip are amazing......no idea how they cope with the demands on them.

The distance is ridiculous! They have some help with the flow of the river but even still.....amazing......the speed they are doing this in.

The story so far that has stuck out for me is that one of the female SUP paddlers has been expressing milk whilst on the race to ensure her baby gets fed during the stops. Legend!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:04:56 AM by coldsup »

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:05:09 AM »
Great reporting on the Yukon River Quest on SUP Racer.  This is the first time Stand Up Paddlers are allowed to compete in this epic 444 mile race down the Yukon River in Canada.  The paddlers have been racing for 3 days with  two mandatory stops: the first at roughly half way is 7 hours, the second mandatory stop is 3 hours.  You can follow the paddlers on a live GPS map, Bart de Zwart is in the lead but second and third are not too far behind battling for second place.  After doing the California 100 mile race down the Sacramento River a few weeks ago I caught the super long distance adventure racing bug and this one is on my bucket list, for sure:

http://www.supracer.com/2016-yukon-river-quest-update/

Robert, Your Sup-maran (Cata-SUP?) would be a great equalizer with that crazy Bart..
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 06:08:41 AM »
Bart is a complete animal.  Haha!  A complete long distance freak.

But Norm and Jason did great - and Lina and Michelle are going strong.  Norm is one of the strongest paddlers I've ever paddle with.  He is wickedly fast on a DW.  Jason and Lina are solid powerhouses.  We all know how successful she has been on the circuit.  And she was amazingly pumping milk for her baby!  On the fly!  And Michelle doing completely fantastic as well.

Met Michelle if you can believe it on holidays.  And she was the yoga and zumba guest foreign instructor at the resort we were staying at in the DR!  She was practicing surfing waves on her inflatable so she would pass her cert to be qualified as an instructor back home so she could teach.  Look at her now.  Go Michelle!  Small world.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:50:11 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »
The nicest thing is that Norm and Jason kept together along with Bart all the way to the finish. And Lina is on her way to finish 5th (while still nursing). Glen Pearson is still in the race. No surprise for whoever have paddled with Norm and Jason and good showing for Team SUP BC.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
Was thinking that if Lina was in full 100% race mode - she probs would be right up there for the win.  She is by far our best local female SUP racer.

Norm was able to eke out a win against Jeremy on a previous M2O - with Lina not far behind both of them.  And he loves DWing up in Squamish - as that is his home base.  Super nice guy.

He rides his old Bark Expedition for planing fun - and his custom race BW Eradicator to improve his balance he told me.  On either board he easily pulls away from all of us old guys like we are all standing still.  It is quite startling and humbling - and completely demoralizing.  Haha.  The excuse we keep telling ourselves is he is younger than us.

His balance and strength are exceptional for his age.  Talked to him about racing against Connor and Kai driving back to Porteau after a run - and he said those young guns are incredibly fast with uncanny exceptional balance.  He told me he simply cannot compete against that.

Luc - the offer is always open to come DWing with the boys.  Let me know and I will arrange it.  The inflow days are just starting - but mostly weekdays though.  You can use my M-14 if you want.

http://www.supracer.com/2013-molokai-2-oahu-results/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:21:05 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 08:45:38 AM »
Damn!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »
Proud of the Canadian/BC showing. Lina isn't just the best local female racer, but was arguably the best female racer in the world prior to starting a family, and she defeated the very best racers in more than one discipline. It's amazing to think how far both Lina and Norm have come in such a short time. Two of the best. Norm is what... 46 now? Outstanding.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »
Peregrinating Kurt (Supdiscobay), who peregrinated through Privates yesterday where we met and chatted, told me how tiring a 14 mile paddle competition he completed recently was. He said he had muscle spasms where he didn't know he had muscles.

I can imagine what they felt like after this Yukon venture.  24 hours of paddling before a forced rest? Insane!

I liked watching them using the paddle to outrig over some of the rapids.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
So Luc how did you like the Porteau Britannia run yesterday with the gang?  Couldn't make it as we were committed to a prior dinner engagement up in Whistler.  Heard it was a bit festive and a wet ride.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 09:27:57 AM »
Here is Bart's recap of the race, finishing in under 55 hours:
http://star-board-sup.com/2016/bart-de-zwarts-recap-yukon-river-quest-win/
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:16 AM »
"Norm came in second and Jason directly after him, just under 55hrs. Jason got to the line and fainted for a moment, he clearly left nothing on the river."

Norm is the man in these parts.  But all the Canucks did simply fantastic.  Not to take away from Bart's win at all.  He is the ultimate animal.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »
Everything probably seems a little easier to Bart after his unaccompanied run the distance of the Hawaiian Islands. That was totally whacko. I wouldn't do that for love or money, and he did it for nada.

The race coverage was spectacular. Who would have thought a 444 mile paddle race could be exciting. I can't stand to watch my own downwind videos.

Yes, Lina is amazing. First time she came to the Gorge I watched her paddling on a practice downwinder and thought "that lady is going to be hard to beat". She passed me while I was firmly in a nice bump and she wasn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal