Author Topic: Take Off Your Damn Shoes!  (Read 12031 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Take Off Your Damn Shoes!
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »
I pretty much always wear shoes on my board. In the cold months it's booties; in the summer, it's Tevas. There are sharp rocks everywhere, plus there's the dreaded water chestnut pod. Even that 20 foot walk to the water's edge can be hazardous.

Here's the thing. I've been trying to get a better handle on this tippy NSP 14' Race. There's no recessed standing area, so I'm pretty high. I haven't fallen since changed the stock fin to a Gladiator Hybrid, but it's wonkier than I'm used to. There's a lot of secondary stability, which is good, but I'm a bit more gun shy than before.

To make a long story short, I took my Tevas off while paddling and noticed a huge difference. I'm sure it was part that I was lower and part that I could grip the deck with my feet. I guess those bungee cords in the front serve a purpose!

After I did that, I had a really fast run (for me — nothing to write home about). The water was unusually flat, but I know my stability helped.

Sometimes it's the simple things! Any other suggestions for stability are appreciated. I might just need more time with this thing, maybe take it out in more choppy water.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Take Off Your Damn Shoes!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »
I hate wearing shoes on boards but if I have to in summer Vibram 5 fingers are the closest to barefoot. Pain to put on but nothing beats the individual toes for natural like grip. In fact, due the vibram the grip is better than barefoot. And almost no height.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 03:45:59 AM »
+1 and only if necessary, like exploring an unfamiliar shoreline

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:55:38 AM »
I might have to look into those Vibrams. I mock my wife for wearing them, but she might have a point.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 06:06:17 AM »
After reading these comments in this thread, I'm also going to have to look at Vibram. Right now, I'm just using some soft rubber booties.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:28:17 AM »
My wife doesn't like the feel of them at all - and thinks they look a bit ridiculous.  But I am ok with them because they are super functional and work like a charm.  Really good proprioception for small micro adjustments on the board.  My feet feel pretty much bullet-proof whenever I wear them.

Have 4 different styles.  One for ocean and 3 for running.  But not everyone fits in them.  So make sure to try on if you can.

For balance - you are spot on going out in choppy water.  Once you find the balance point you will be fine.  That is a very quick board. 
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »
Eagle, which styles do you use?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 06:55:31 AM »
Maiori neoprene - ocean
Lontra WR - snow running
TrekSport - trail running
KomodoSport - road running

Also use the Lontra for squats and deadlifts - and the Komodo works great in hot climes.  Traction is excellent on all - and still have plenty on tread on all of them.

Many may be discontinued though I understand.  Not tried - but you may be able to use the non-specific water ones in the ocean.  There is a new one for water I think.  But all can get thrown in the washer anyways - so they may work.  Never tried though.  And sometimes you must wash to de-stink them.  Haha. 

I use the running ones with toe socks.  That definitely helps.  If you ever use them for running - start with very low volume and low intensity to prevent injuries.  Many overdo it when they start minimalistic running.  It can be very addictive.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 08:40:30 AM »
There is a lot of things that go into making our sense of balance that most people don't understand. Proprioception and Kinesthetic sense are a major component and I don't think there is any question, at least not to me, that the feet are a focal point of the sense. For me with my hyper sensitive balance wearing shoes of any kind...even 5 fingers, dulls it slightly. It's not huge but its a difference that can definitely be felt. I never wear shoes if I can avoid it....though those water chestnut pods sound like you might need steel toe boots. The five fingers are better than regular toes IMO if you absolutely need some protection but there is still some negative effect on balance...at least for me.....and I need every bit I can get.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:42:36 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 11:11:30 AM »
  I'm the opposite of you, Bob.  I need all the shoes I can get.  With everything in my body atrophying at an alarming rate, my feet are now about 2" wide, so I need shoes just to have a platform to make up for lost width.  As well, bare feet on a hard board makes em feel like they've been napalmed.  I've been wearing 7 mil West winter wetsuit boots but they're starting to fall apart and West doesn't make them anymore, so I've retired them for the summer.  Now I'm wearing Crocs.  Crocs!
   Another in my ever expanding list of ailments: total loss of lateral ankle stability.  The thick rubber on the West boots stabilized my ankles, but I have to wear braces to get the same effect with Crocs.  Braces!
  I mean, wft?
   Anyway, thanks for allowing me to complain.  Not that you had a choice, ha ha.  But it does feel good to vent a little.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
I think I have only been out on bare feet twice, and once when my surf slippers were blown off by a wave.

I thought it did help my balance and step sense.  The direct sense of touch is a sudden expansion of the sensorium down there.

However, the pain and suffering is too much.  I came back with torn toes from deck pad on the one outing, and I really just hate the ouchies walking over rocky reef and feeling the sharp edges.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
Was just thinking - the Maiori gives a better grip for me on the board.  All the rubber nubs on the deck pad used to punch into my feet when paddling barefoot.  And I can feel that after a few hours.  With Vibrams and booties I don't.  And my feet always feel great.  Hmmm.

But often in the summer we do go barefoot when launching off our dock.  And we do like the free sensation and cooling water splashes.  So both are ok for us I guess.

Most of the DW freaks that paddle though - go barefoot and tough it crossing gravel.  Ouch!   :o :o
Fast is FUN!   8)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »
Ichabod--one way to improve your stability further is something you may not like--go back to wearing shoes.  As you already know, it challenges your balance, then when you take them off, you find you've made huge improvements.  But instead of thin soles, get something thicker, like Crocs.  Either do it for a couple weeks, or just do it part time--wear them into the water and halfway through your trip, then take them off and run your leash through them for the return. 

And if they are Crocs, you get the badass, cool factor going also.  Linter knows what I'm talking about.  I believe DJ does also.

corrego

• Malibu Status
  • Ni pena ni miedo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 03:01:19 PM »
+1 for the five fingers vibram. I have sesamnoiditis so i ha e pain in the ball of my feet. Using vibrams is the only way i can paddle for long distances pain free!
Check out this thread
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27010.msg280569.html#msg280569

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
A friend of mine loves the Vibram' s for surfing. Some people do not love them.  https://www.fivefingerssettlement.com/   

I've been happy with my O'neill Superfreak split toe booties. I don't notice any balance or control difference when surfing compared to barefoot. I've been dealing with plantar facetious lately and the orthotic's I just got are really helping. On long distance paddles my feet are starting to hurt. I'm thinking about wearing orthotics or some arch supporting inserts in my booties to see how that works.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal