Author Topic: Doheny locals I need help !!!  (Read 2443 times)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Doheny locals I need help !!!
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out if it is easy or at least doable to find a parking spot at Doheny between 9-10 AM on coming Sunday. Bunch of non-surfing friends wants to have BBQ and beach day and I sucker them into going to Doheny. We are looking at about 5 separate cars.

If you see really tall dude with a yellow Simsup that is me. I haven't surf Doheny and haven't been on a SUP for over a year now. I'll probably be falling all over the place.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:34:55 PM by jumpfrom13k »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Doheny locals I need help !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
You should be fine to about 10am. It was tight the past few months because they had the entire long stretch of edge of sand parking closed due to beach erosion. I notice they brought in boulders and created a berm with them so all that parking is available for day use now. When you go through the rangers gate take the first right then sort-of veer left and park to the south west corner of the parking lot. There are lots of tables in that area. Can't guaranty there will be tables left. That's the spot to park for surf. Swell will be tapering by then. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
Thanks for your insight.

I figured between 9 and 10 am would be the time when the morning surf crew leaves, and we will be able to find parking.

Shade and trees around that picnic table area? or should I bring EZ up?

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
Noon last Saturday, people were lined up for me to leave my spot.  No so much at 10.  9 AM you should be golden. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
They just opened the mile long beach front parking this week, so that's why I'm thinking you may be OK over in the day use picnic parking area.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:31:52 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 05:43:21 AM »
Man, Doheny, what a place.

Full of people, felt like one of the most commercialized beach I've been to in years.

I could only stand up surf for two hour since my sea legs where nowhere to be found. I had a very difficult time SUP surfing. I've gotten so used to shortboard that I've wasted at least three, four waves trying to bottom turn by leaning only, and ended up going face first.

Did longboarding for the first time as well. That stuff isn't easy at all. I think it is a complete myth that beginners learn on a longboard. I think the beginners should start out on a funboard. It is not natural to walk back to turn. It is more natural for the people to lean to turn, and funboard will allow the beginners to do so.

anyways, over 6 hours of surfing, got my 15 dollar worth out from the parking pass. Good times.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
13K,
All you were missing was a kneeboard, hand plane, kite and a foil for the surfing Heptathlon.   :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal