Author Topic: Sunova Speeed 8'8 next to a JP Surf 8"10  (Read 4943 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Sunova Speeed 8'8 next to a JP Surf 8"10
« on: June 30, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
Not a real review, just a few observations for people who are interested in the Speeed but don't have a distributor nearby. Here is a look at the board in reference to a more conventional shape that is very close in size. The JP is @ 126L and the Speeed @123L, so neck and neck in volume and length, but what they do with that is interesting

Some obvious observations:

The Speeed is narrower, but keeps it width with the parallel rails.
The Speeed has a wider tail, and though the nose is obviously quite wide, it is also much thinner.
The Speeed's tail is about as thin as the JPs. The way the channels take a bite out of the rails make it seem thinner, but a speeed without channels would have a thicker tail than the JP.

Some surprising observations:

The Speeed is setup to get your foot almost 3 inches further back on the board. The distance from the rear fin to tail is the same, but the side fins on the speed are further back. The Kickpad is set as far back as you can fit one.
The Speeed has boxier rails through the back half of the board, compared to the rounded, pinched rails of the JP. Both are thin, but JPs are thinner in the middle of the board.

I haven't had much more than a couple hours on stormy, mushy waves with this board, so not a whole lot to say performance-wise. I didn't embarrass myself too badly in front of the team riders, so that's nice.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova Speeed 8'8 next to a JP Surf 8"10
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 02:01:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Interested to hear your side-by-side comparisons of how they perform on a wave.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
Hi Exiled

Thanks for the great comparison side by side of the 8'8" Speeed and th 8'10" JP surf. I am very interested in the 8'8" Speeed as well as the 9'6" Style. Both about the same volume. Can you comment on how you find the stability of the Speeed as well as the tracking when paddling. I guess what I am trying to get at is would the Speeed be ok as a flat water paddler for my 60kg wife. I am trying to rationalize another board. Comments from other "Speeed Freaks"?

Cheers

FRP
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:11:06 AM »
Hi Exiled

Thanks for the great comparison side by side of the 8'8" Speeed and th 8'10" JP surf. I am very interested in the 8'8" Speeed as well as the 9'6" Style. Both about the same volume. Can you comment on how you find the stability of the Speeed as well as the tracking when paddling. I guess what I am trying to get at is would the Speeed be ok as a flat water paddler for my 60kg wife. I am trying to rationalize another board. Comments from other "Speeed Freaks"?

Cheers

FRP

The Style really is a performance longboard.  I have the 10'6 Style and it is my wife's flatwater board and my summer cruiser on waist high or under waves.  stable for 60k @ 9'6 i would think for flatwater.  Its SUPER light- thats why my wife loves it compared to he old board a 10-'10 Isle Glider.

As for the Speeed....well if thats the board you want.... you just need to make sure your wife doesnt find out there are WAY better flatwater boards!  I justified the syle as My toy and my wifes flatwater board because it was sooo light and she can put it on the car by herself

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »
At 75 kilos I enjoy paddling my 8'10" Speeed in flat glassy water if there is no surf, in fact of all my boards it is the one I would grab for a glassy paddle. If your wife has good balance skills, I think that the 8'8" might work for her. The parallel outline provides nice directional glide for a surf oriented board. If it is at all windy and choppy, I would not recommend it for paddling both because of the narrow tippiness and the blunt nose going into chop.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 03:30:12 PM »
FRP,

I'm 103 kg on a good day, having 40 kg on your wife means that the handling characteristics on the board are going to be a bit different for me than for her. The Speeed is very stable for it's width, Its not magical, but I don't think I lost anything from the JPs 30 inch width. Tracking was no issue for me with the 104 stock fins. I'm not sure it will track as well with a lighter person, but I wouldn't expect it to be too much of an issue. I feel fine on it in wind up to about 10 knots, but a lighter person might get pushed around more. If its calm it should be fine, and the narrow width and straight outline would make a for a relatively fast cruiser for it's size.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 07:20:34 PM »
Thanks. The replies are very much appreciated. It sounds like the Style would likely be a better flat water paddler which makes sense as it is 10 inches longer. For our summer waves in Tofino my Skate is a great board but the Style would be good to learn some long board,skills. That said the straight outline of the Speeed would likely not be too much of a handful for my wife. There are five slots on my board rack, it is not clear to me why it should not always be full! Time to sell a surfboard and and the Widepoint.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal