Author Topic: Helmets on DW runs  (Read 4481 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Helmets on DW runs
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »
Wonder why no-one uses helmets on good DW days? Big boards, big winds.....flying boards ......no brainer really.......so why do helmets never get used? Good bang on the head and you are out cold....

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Helmets on DW runs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:18:06 PM »
Image is everything, and helmets are still kook max.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »
Helmets on DWers is a good idea IMO..

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:53:44 PM »
I sometimes wear one. I DW in typically cold conditions, always requiring a wetsuit, so it also provides some warmth to the head, and it is an easy way to mount a camera, if you fancy trying to be a cut-price DJ.

I suspect that in a very warm climate a helmet might get a bit hot on the head perhaps? Maybe this is one of the reasons why few wear one. It's obviously a good idea, so you'd think that more people would have the courage to overcome the fear of looking different. But we are sheep, easily led into doing things that are against our best interests. If Connor or Kai won the M2O wearing a helmet then they'd be flying off the shelves the next day.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:58:20 PM »
Timely thread. Nikki Gregg got a concussion on a Viento run today. I don't really feel the need, but I can certainly understand why folks might want one. Most sport I like to do require a helmet.

I shared nikki's post about the accident on my facebook timeline. I'd provide a link, but facebook is kind of a walled garden--with lots of gnomes and trolls.

I have a lot of problems with helmets in water sport, for the same reasons gregg posts below. Every few years I buy another one to see if they've gotten better, but they wind up hanging in my garage. I'm long past caring how I look, but I need a helmet that doesn't drastically reduce my ability to do the sport. The ones I've tried do. I don't find that to be the case with motorcycles, bicycles, skiing, racing cars, etc..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:40:47 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:32:18 PM »
When I lived in the Gorge, I tried a helmet for windsurfing because a friend had been severely injured after a fall at the Hatchery (another board hit her in the face), my x wife had lost teeth in a crash and I felt like it would be a really good idea. I had had many close calls, smacking into the boom and mast with various body parts, but not my head. Unfortunately, I just could not get used to the helmet. HATED it. Messed with my hearing and peripheral vision.  But, with the speeds and the proximity of the hard equipment, I felt very vulnerable without a helmet. When I motorcycled, I would not get on a bike without a full face helmet. I always use one cycling and I had one for skiing, which I loved for it's warmth and all day comfort.

Downwinding. Yes, you can get hit by your board. The potential is there to really get clocked, so if you can stand one, it seems like a great safety idea. Paddling in a helmet in the temps we have here in Hawaii would be intolerable as far as I'm concerned. I have grudgingly adopted the practice of always wearing a shirt, hat and glasses for sun protection. There are days when even a light paddle top feels too hot. Most days. But I've resigned myself to it. I'll hold off on a helmet for downwind for now and hope I don't get nailed.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Must be some kind of water sports helmet you can use in hot climes?

I can see why folk don't like using them but guess if you started from day one using one ( as you do in WW kayaking) it might not be the problem that it is.
 Well there's a challenge for manufacturers!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:43:37 AM »
You've got to find one that fits you extremely well or else they are annoying for sure. I had to try several before I found one that works, and even that is not perfect, which is why I don't wear it all the time. (It is a Mystic kitesurf helmet.)

It is indeed a challenge for the manufacturers. The helmet needs to be adjustable along several dimensions, well ventilated, and to protect the ears but not cover them. And of course it actually needs to provide protection, unlike some helmets out there which actually succumb to anything except the lightest tap from a board or eg. reef.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 01:04:33 AM »
Wonder why no-one uses helmets on good DW days? Big boards, big winds.....flying boards ......no brainer really.......so why do helmets never get used? Good bang on the head and you are out cold....

I don't use because it sets my CofG up funny, feels cumbersome and less safe - even in 3 inch deep white water  ;D ::)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 01:07:03 AM »
Timely thread. Nikki Gregg got a concussion on a Viento run today. I don't really feel the need, but I can certainly understand why folks might want one. Most sport I like to do require a helmet.

I shared nikki's post about the accident on my facebook timeline. I'd provide a link, but facebook is kind of a walled garden--with lots of gnomes and trolls.

I have a lot of problems with helmets in water sport, for the same reasons gregg posts below. Every few years I buy another one to see if they've gotten better, but they wind up hanging in my garage. I'm long past caring how I look, but I need a helmet that doesn't drastically reduce my ability to do the sport. The ones I've tried do. I don't find that to be the case with motorcycles, bicycles, skiing, racing cars, etc..

What's Facebook???

I guess it may have happened if it's in the world biggest herd ??  8)

But I'll never know other than in the grape vine  ::)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 01:08:38 AM »

I can see why folk don't like using them but guess if you started from day one using one ( as you do in WW kayaking) it might not be the problem that it is.
 Well there's a challenge for manufacturers!

Those ww yak guys wear them on the Thames mid summer flat water  ::)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 01:16:23 AM »
I have only two comfy helmets......a cycling one and skateboarding one.....the Gath one I have is okay but not great fit

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 03:01:37 AM »

I like wakeboarding helmuts. I wear them primarily to protect my eardrums. Blown eardrums are a typical waterskiing injury.

Kiteboarding I wear a helmut for long days out primarily as sun protection for my head. Nothing else is going to stay on in a good crash. Actually keeps you cooler if the sun is strong. They have plenty of vents.I realise one isn’t kiting if it isn’t really windy. But same would apply for DWing (as opposed to Downbreezing).

I’m surprised peeps can’t find a good water helmut. Basically a wakeboard or kite helmut is a skate helmut with more rubbery pads instead of foam and [removable] ear protectors.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 03:24:47 AM »
I have only two comfy helmets......a cycling one and skateboarding one.....the Gath one I have is okay but not great fit

Rugby type?
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 03:53:34 AM »
Neil Pryde has a nice helmet. I tried a bunch of them when I got into foiling. Most helmets had Velcro stick on bits that I knew were a bad idea. The NP helmet has none of that. I did take a knife and cut ear flaps and ratchet thingy off it though. So comfortable I often forget to take it off when on the beach.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal