Author Topic: Anyone want to go skiing??  (Read 4797 times)

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:21:44 PM by cnski »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to go skiing??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »
Amazing that someone went to so much trouble to build those. I'm tempted to say that the video must be a joke. I remember when water shoes were first invented back in the sixties. It didn't catch on then and it won't now. Please say it's a joke. What are you supposed to do if you fall in?

Nope it's not a joke.  http://www.riverskis.com/

$800 for skis, $300 for boots, $160 for the paddle and $50 for the helmet.

Incredible that someone actually thought this was a good company to invest in.

From the website....

Q:  Is there an on water recovery method if one decides to go swimming and would like to remount the skis from the water?

A:  To remount from the water, two taco kayak clips can be attached to the Riverskis where the grab handles are located – a few inches from the boot toes.  By swimming between the skis, the paddle shaft which spans the distance separating the Riverskiis can be used to attach one ski to the other using the taco clips. The Skier puts one hand on each clip and pushes up, first inserting one foot then the other, back into the boots. This technique takes practice!

Q: Why is a helmet required when skiing?

A:  You will be standing erect and upright when paddling on Riverskis.  A helmet provides protection from low hanging branches extending over the waterways as well any obstacles in rivers or other bodies of water both visible and submerged. For safety purposes, all skiers must wear a helmet.  Just like snow skiing, it isn’t worth the risk of head injury.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:07:10 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:36:04 PM »
How about cross country snowboarding?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7sVSMbjyM

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
They got every person in the entire world that wants to do that in one video. Great opportunities for hosing knees, hips, ankles, and maybe turning your lower body into a wishbone. Make a wish now..Craaack!

Like Chuck Patterson skiing at Peahi--that's everyone in the world that wants to do that, right there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:52:52 PM »
Like Chuck Patterson skiing at Peahi--that's everyone in the world that wants to do that, right there.
That was kind of bad ass tho or at least I thought so and yes, no desire to try it but could close my eyes and almost feel it. Not sure what there is to feel with this other than my legs opening too wide and doing the splits. Yep, wishbone tho I can close my eyes and see the scene I would make flailing around trying to stand back up. Yeah, kind of like cross country snowboarding.  $299 for boots. Are you kidding?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:58:52 PM by lucabrasi »

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:49:26 PM »
this will no doubt make it to Jerry of the day on instagram....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
The music in the video says everything that needs to be said.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 03:26:01 AM »
I'll bet the idea would work a lot better if the skis were permanently attached to each other turning it into a single ski. It should also be longer and wider which would add stability. Then make the whole thing flatter, so that you could just stand on it without the need for boots. I think with these improvements, it might work.

The website says in big letters....

"Riverskis! A Revolutionary Experience. Be the First."

Apparently, they have yet to sell a pair.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:47:52 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 12:47:01 AM »
Seriously?  Dumbest f'n thing I've seen someone try to invent for water play.

They need to have straps for the rider's/inventor's feet, and then be filled with cement.  Morons.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 05:21:50 AM »
Great for the core.....wait,i've heard that somewhere before.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 10:12:19 PM »

They need to have straps for the rider's/inventor's feet, and then be filled with cement.  Morons.

I think you are taking WAY more seriously than it should be. This is obviously a novelty and not intended to be anything more than that.  Sort of like the Sasquatch fountain in the the now defunked Sky Mall. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 11:17:55 PM »

I think you are taking WAY more seriously than it should be. This is obviously a novelty and not intended to be anything more than that.  Sort of like the Sasquatch fountain in the the now defunked Sky Mall.
Pretty expensive "novelty" item for someone to be making an impulse buy while flying somewhere...and I'm thinking someone's taking themselves far more seriously if they think these dang things are viable alternative to some other water sports already out there in similar form(s).
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal