Author Topic: Nuking in the gorge  (Read 4220 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Nuking in the gorge
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »
OC6 was fun this morning. Temira said 24-28 but it was well above 30 in mid river at the event center. Supposed to get higher about 1:00. We went upwind and struggled to reach Wells Island with only five the boat. We finally found a falt spot and turned around short of the island. Rode bumps all the way back to the Marina, which took about five minutes. Really fun, both ways.

So today is a max downwinder day. I'm going to try to get three in, but I might have to settle for two. I'm taking my little 11'11" board--perfect for today. Slower, but SO much fun.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nuking in the gorge
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
It was so good I had to go twice. 1:20 no fall first run, 1:23 two fall second run with 55 more paddle strokes than the first ( the wind clocked out of the south on the second run after Wells. Lots of left side strokes).  It gets bigger and windier on occasion in the Gorge, but I don't know if it really gets better than what we had today.
Side note, one of my buddies had his leash string come untied around Split Rock and got septated from his board. I was far in front so I didn't see it, but witnesses said they saw an SIC Bullet V2  tumbling end over end down the river. Luckily Rod happened to see it and chased his board down and held on to it until a kite boarder towed him to it. Lost his paddle, but he didn't panic. He prone paddled it into the Hook.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
Ah, so that's who it was. I wanted to do a second run but there was nobody I could talk into it when I got to the end. the shuttle was full. Couldn't even beg my way on. When it's that good I should just go and figure out how to get my truck back after the run.

I did a 141 on my 11'11" surfboard. Just that kind of day. I would have done a second run on my Bullet 17', that little buggah is fun, but it's a lot of work. Can't connect anything, but every bump is like a surfing drop. Wanted to go bug the folks at Swell City, but there was so much south I just didn't want to go for it without a rudder. Easy-peasy on the 17.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:03:16 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:21:54 PM »
Big Wednesday in the Gorge! Today was all time. One of those days where, on some sections, paddling was unnecessary. Took my F-16 today, didn't regret it. It was so intense that my regular paddling partner and I decided to do a Viento, rather than the Washington side run, which we normally do because we live on that side and it's much more convenient. Going through Swell City and the Hatchery today would have meant more drama than we needed. The swell was more than big enough on the Oregon side.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »
Totally smoking. On my Weenie little 11'11" surfboard I was skipping over the water next to Wells, standing on the tail, totally out of control. Just a passenger, waiting to see how it all came out. Very intense, and tomorrow is supposed to be better.

Tomorrow is definitely a two run day, minmum. Probably do eleven with Rod and I'm on the 1:00 shuttle. Have to get in the water by 11 and take the 17. Gonna be nutso.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:40:32 PM »
Nice! Fun to read your reports. It would be brutal if we didn't have some wind ourselves. Maliko was rock n roll today. Supposed to crank and clock mostly straight east over the weekend. There is still some S swell too so if you can find a spot out of the wind early, you can have a double duty day.

Keep the reports coming. PB, I'll never understand the little surf board thing for d/w but it obviously works for you. But then, so do waist leashes  ;D ;D ;D

I heard Nikki Gregg got a concussion from her board hitting her today! Yikes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 07:29:33 AM »
It's silly fun. Slow as hell, but super challenging and every bump is a "whoopee" moment. I don't get quite the same feeling on my Bullet, just mowing everything over.

Our house was shaking all night last night. A four nails per shingle kind of wind. When crap starts blowing away in the Gorge you know it's nutso. Everything that isn't tied down well is already in Idaho somewhere. This wind got some of the stuff that survived the last twenty years. I'm looking very nervously at my neighbors huge oak tree. Our garden windmill looks like a blender. I'd put the pin in the thing but I don't want to go anywhere near it.

Temira sez 28-32 today, but it's already blowing at least that at 7:37:

"For those of you who didn't get out on the river yesterday, it's all good, because you'll have plenty more chances over the next several days. For those of you who spent yesterday on the river, that's great, and hopefully you saved some energy for today and the next few days! It's going to be windy enough today to make for rainbows and unicorns, so keep an eye upwind early for rainbows in the spray, and keep an eye out for breaking and munching waves on the river."

Saddle up, cowboys.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:41:41 AM by PonoBill »

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »
Juicy run on the 11am shuttle today. Chased TJ and Hannah the whole way. Not as windy as yesterday but super fun and the section around Split Rock seemed a little more cleaned up today with less cross chop. I was on a PR until the Hatchery, where the wind backed off quite a bit to more normal velocities. Still a 1:20, about 3 minutes behind  TJ and Hannah, which is pretty decent for a slow guy like me. The good times continue in the Gorge!
JP

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:52:48 PM »
I did a 1:23 on the first run this morning, shuttling with Rod at 10:30. Fell seven times, but I was seeing 9+ on my speedcoach for a lot of the run. I was going to cancel my second run--on the 1:00 shuttle--but the knee tweak that made me have second thoughts cleared up after I walked on it as bit. Second run I fell three times--clean run to the split rock--but did 1:29 even though I was charging much harder. All I was seeing was sevens on the speed coach. First run I read a 9:58 when I was trying to get back on my feet--kneeling and not paddling.

I'd say there's a 99 percent chance of massive leg cramps tonight. My thighs feel like someone kicked me.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 06:30:53 PM »
I saw Hannah coming up from the beach just as the shuttle was loading. She did a 1:15. Smoked--more than smoked--obliterated--by a skinny 16 year old girl. I was pretty happy with 1:23 until then. I gotta break 1:20 at least.

Oh, and JP--you were five minutes behind Hannah. Smoked by a skinny 16 year old girl. Now you know how I feel, though three minutes less humble.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:33:10 PM by PonoBill »

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:30:01 PM »
I saw Hannah coming up from the beach just as the shuttle was loading. She did a 1:15. Smoked--more than smoked--obliterated--by a skinny 16 year old girl. I was pretty happy with 1:23 until then. I gotta break 1:20 at least.

Oh, and JP--you were five minutes behind Hannah. Smoked by a skinny 16 year old girl. Now you know how I feel, though three minutes less humble.
Yeah PB, Hanna has gotten really fast in the last year for sure. It's ok though, I'm used to getting smoked by teenagers (and just about everybody else for that matter ) My 17 yr old son killed me on Tuesday on his 12'6" on his first downwinder of the year. Kicks my ass surfing now too. It's inevitable.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »
Work ethic. She pounds herself. The kid is gonna be a contender. Not just at SUP, at life. Nice to see.

Troy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »
The reports seem to have dried up...
Did the wind die?
Or is everyone too exhausted to type?
Temira's report seems to indicate things are still plenty breezy.
I'll go with that

Troy

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
I will add a report, so people wont think it went flat in the Gorge. It has actually been blowing like snot. Full nuclear conditions every day for a week. Anyone who is here for the 4th scored. Interestingly, I haven't been tempted to go windsurf, for a change, because it has been typically gusty. One of the benefits of SUP, versus other wind sports, is that it is much less influenced by gusty conditions.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
Yes, it's actually been the longest windy stretch I can remember for quite some time. I actually took a few days off of paddling this week, even though it's been blowing for eight days straight. Today was super fun with good rolling swell. Got to test my leash after augering in:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal