Author Topic: Foot positioning  (Read 2723 times)

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Foot positioning
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »
I saw some video of me paddling and in my mind my hips are rotated and I am in an A- frame position at the catch. In reality....well you get the picture I'm sure. So I went to the gym and practiced my catch position with a pvc pipe on the balance board in front of mirrors. If my feet are in line with each other it is difficult to keep my knees square. My paddle side knee shoots forward, and my non-paddle side hip shoots up and laterally. If I keep my paddle side foot back six inches, I am able to keep my knees more square and my non-paddle hip/butt down and more midline.
So the question is: is this correct? Do most people keep their feet square or have a staggered stance. What are the advantages to either stance.
What are the secrets to hip rotation, an A-frame and stacked shoulders? Just practice?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:20:16 AM by Esteroali »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foot positioning
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »
In the harbor, I use a slightly staggered stance, about 1 1/2 inch difference.  In choppier water, I increase the distance based on feel.  I also change up which foot is forward.  I started this to help with foot cramps.  It also helps with fore and aft stability, when paddling into boat wakes and chop.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »
I'm sure there are lots of videos you can watch to see what others are doing by comparison.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:54:35 AM »
Take a look at Danny Ching's offset or staggered stance.  I've tried it, but find switching my lead foot with every paddle side change adds more work than return.  It's a technique that's probably worth spending some time on.

mcwop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:01:46 AM »
Take a look at Danny Ching's offset or staggered stance.  I've tried it, but find switching my lead foot with every paddle side change adds more work than return.  It's a technique that's probably worth spending some time on.

I use/like the Danny Ching stance in many cases, and works great in flat water, well spaced chop, and downwind chop. Jury is out for me going into tight chop cause there is so much to focus on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal