Author Topic: Please help choosing a SUP  (Read 7791 times)

Surg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Please help choosing a SUP
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »
Hi, I'm relatively new to SUPs and I would like to get something for my wife and me. I'm leaning towards inflatable SUPs for their versatility, small foot print while transporting and storing. I intend to use it mostly on small to large mountain lakes in Colorado, occasionally take it on a river. It's probably too soon to talk about white water at this point. It would be nice to have bungee ties to transport a waterproof bag and a fishing rod.  I'm 5'11", 180lbs and my wife is 5'4" 140lbs. We also have a 4y.o. son and a 25lbs dog that I would like to take occasionally with me. My budget is about $500-600.

I've read different guides about picking the right SUP but I'm still overwhelmed a little by all different choices out there. I've seen quite a few of them on Amazon and in local sporting stores but I'm completely unfamiliar with all of those brand names. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please help choosing a SUP
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »
I just went through the same thing you are going through now, and it's overwhelming. I found some reviews on a site I trust that lead me to the 12'6" Isle Explorer so I  bought it. It turned out to be a noodle for me (250lbs), and my wife had a 10'8" Jimmy Styks Thresher from Costco that was firmer and more stable, though it didn't track as well, so I bought that. While it was perceivably more stable than the Isle, both inflatables performed very poorly in chop, especially upwind.

After trying a few hard boards, I discovered that those inflatables are nowhere near as stable at my weight - not even close. After struggling with those two inflatable boards for a month, getting on a hard board was like being on a dance floor where I could do no wrong. I imagine everyone's experience on SUPs has a lot to do with weight, height, age, and balance, but the inflatables were pretty sketchy for me. I decided to return my Costo iSUP and buy a hard board, in spite of the storage & transportation challenges.

My wife still has her iSUP and loves it for what she does - just paddling slowly and enjoying time on the water. Your budget definitely makes it tough to get a quality iSUP that will do what you want it to do from what I've seen, but maybe there are options I don't know about. Good luck in your search, no matter what you get it's fun being on the water!
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

Surg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:35 AM »
I just went through the same thing you are going through now, and it's overwhelming. I found some reviews on a site I trust that lead me to the 12'6" Isle Explorer so I  bought it. It turned out to be a noodle for me (250lbs), and my wife had a 10'8" Jimmy Styks Thresher from Costco that was firmer and more stable, though it didn't track as well, so I bought that. While it was perceivably more stable than the Isle, both inflatables performed very poorly in chop, especially upwind.

After trying a few hard boards, I discovered that those inflatables are nowhere near as stable at my weight - not even close. After struggling with those two inflatable boards for a month, getting on a hard board was like being on a dance floor where I could do no wrong. I imagine everyone's experience on SUPs has a lot to do with weight, height, age, and balance, but the inflatables were pretty sketchy for me. I decided to return my Costo iSUP and buy a hard board, in spite of the storage & transportation challenges.

My wife still has her iSUP and loves it for what she does - just paddling slowly and enjoying time on the water. Your budget definitely makes it tough to get a quality iSUP that will do what you want it to do from what I've seen, but maybe there are options I don't know about. Good luck in your search, no matter what you get it's fun being on the water!

which hard board did you end up getting?

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 11:55:26 AM »
I decided on an 11'6"x32" Surftech Universal Blacktip over the same size Riviera Classic, mostly because of the protection it offers against dings, rocks, etc.. It is completely covered with a soft foam on top, and a polyethylene skin on the bottom, with extra rubber "bumpers" front & back, and a reinforced rail tape along the sides. I didn't want to have to be "gentle" with it out in the rocky coastal areas. It is also a bit thicker (5") so more volume.
http://www.surftech.com/sup/surftech-universal-blacktip-grey

I've only had it a day, but last night I paddled over 2 miles for the first time, and it was an entirely different experience compared to the inflatable. I couldn't believe how much more stable it was, how well it tracked, the incredible glide, and the way it cut through the ever present chop we have in the Salish Sea. With the soft top & extra volume, I can have my kids or dog sit on it without sliding all around or sinking it too far.

They have a 9'6" & 10'6" version, but I'm not recommending this board over any other. I'm quite sure ANY decently built hard board will perform just as well as the Surftech compared to an inflatable. If you have any shops within driving distance, I highly recommend you demo or rent as many different boards as possible before making your final selection. Good luck!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:01:49 PM by Remickulous »

Love is never wasted

Surg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
I decided on an 11'6"x32" Surftech Universal Blacktip over the same size Riviera Classic, mostly because of the protection it offers against dings, rocks, etc.. It is completely covered with a soft foam on top, and a polyethylene skin on the bottom, with extra rubber "bumpers" front & back, and a reinforced rail tape along the sides. I didn't want to have to be "gentle" with it out in the rocky coastal areas. It is also a bit thicker (5") so more volume.
http://www.surftech.com/sup/surftech-universal-blacktip-grey

I've only had it a day, but last night I paddled over 2 miles for the first time, and it was an entirely different experience compared to the inflatable. I couldn't believe how much more stable it was, how well it tracked, the incredible glide, and the way it cut through the ever present chop we have in the Salish Sea. With the soft top & extra volume, I can have my kids or dog sit on it without sliding all around or sinking it too far.

They have a 9'6" & 10'6" version, but I'm not recommending this board over any other. I'm quite sure ANY decently built hard board will perform just as well as the Surftech compared to an inflatable. If you have any shops within driving distance, I highly recommend you demo or rent as many different boards as possible before making your final selection. Good luck!!

have you had any experience with California Foam 106? It has a similar build principle. I understand it might not be the same quality at half the price.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=90090956
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:18:02 PM by Surg »

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:44:34 AM »
I'm new to the sport, and new here, so I have very little experience. I figure that spending $1000 or more on 1 quality board will ensure you get something that won't be a waste of money - but you likely won't be sticking with that quality board for more than a year because you'll want something thinner, or longer, or flatter, or...you get the idea.

Either that, or you'll find that you really don't SUP as often as you thought, or you don't like it as much as you thought, or life just changed on you, and you'll have a quality board that you really don't use. Maybe you'll sell it, maybe not.

Point is, I figure there's no harm getting something inexpensive to try it out & get hooked on the sport. You know it won't last, you know it won't "perform" well, you just need something to get started & go from there. Why not try a cheapo board like that? In a few months you'll be back here looking for the next board because you'll know more of what you're looking for.

I imagine this isn't a very popular thing to say here, and I mean no disrespect to the very wise folks who might disagree. I figure if you stay in your budget, get something that works for now & it gets you hooked on the sport, it's worth it so long as you know that's what you're doing. I try to paddle every day now, and it's a wonderful addition to my life. I hope you and your wife find the same enjoyment out there!

Love is never wasted

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »
Getting a cheap board to start on is ok if that is your only option but it can be wasted money if you find out it is not the right board for you.  There are many "SUP review" websites out there that are designed to direct customers to sellers of cheap inflatable boards, so beware of which "reviews" you trust, many are either paid ads or posted by the sellers.

If you have a good shop in your area, I would recommend renting a few boards with that money instead to try various boards, you will then know much better what you really need and many shops will let you apply the rental fees towards a purchase, allowing you to skip the first step of buying a cheap board that may not be right for you and will have to be replaced soon. 
Buying a used board is also a good way to get started in the sport but make sure the board is right for you.  I have heard many stories of customers that got a "great deal" on a used board only to find out they could not paddle it.

This page on our website has a good video and charts that can help you choose the best board for your needs:
http://blueplanetsurf.com/pages/choosing-the-best-stand-up-paddle-board-for-your-needs
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:21:17 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:18 AM »
Craigslist, and demo as many shapes as you are able to.  You'll start to answer your own questions.  Don't force yourself to rush because of some self imposed timeline to buy.  Those extra sessions on a demo or rental will be worth more than any rushed purchase in the long run.

My first board was sold within two years.  I still own the second one more than 4 years later, and I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
Surge, not sure where you are in Colorado, but we are having a pretty big social meet up at Horsetooth Res north side tonight, would be a great time to demo a variety of boards if you are in the area.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »
The first rental board I rented was so bad, I could hardly balance on my knees.  A few days later I rented a brand name board and was able to stand up and paddle right away. 
If you want to get discouraged quickly, buy a cheap board. 

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 12:41:17 PM »
My 2 cents:

Go to a surf shop, and ask them to talk up their budget, entry-level offering.
They'll educate you, in the sales process.

Don't buy a roto-molded board from a "sporting goods" shop!
Just like you probably shouldn't buy a mountain bike from Wal-mart...
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Surg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
I already spent about 3+ weeks looking for a new mountain bike, went through dozens of different models before finally settling on the bike that was my original pick. I'm very happy with it and can't wait to ride it again and again, even through I went through a hassle of assembling and tuning it myself. I was naive thinking picking a board would be much easier and cheaper. A board is a board after all. Wrong again. I found a local shop about 5 minutes from my house that will let me demo as many boards as they can take to the lake. I would have to tell them in advance what boards I'm interested in. The biggest challenge is to find what boards work best for me and then work in that direction.

Are there any good reasons I should dismiss ISUPs all together or are they still a good option?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »
iSUPs are a fine option if you need what they offer--transportability and storage benefits. If you don't need that, why bother. Most people I know who have them leave them inflated all the time. Makes me wonder why they have them. They transport them fully inflated on a roof rack.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Trout_Creek_Outdoors

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Board and Kayak Life
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 05:36:23 PM »
Yes, for a newbie all of the choices can be overwhelming and for such an investment you don't want to get stuck with a dud.

I echo other people's sentiments here in that if you're able to try a few out at a local shop to do that before you buy.

SUPs are such a personal item that are all relative to a person's size, weight, and use of equipment that there's never a one-size-fits all recommendation. I generally think iSUPS are fine for beginners, but one person commented that his was a wet noodle at 250lbs. I would note that 250lbs is at the upper end of weight limits for more iSUPs but there are a few out there that have a good weight limit of up to 325 lbs.

If you're still feeling indecisive, I could direct you to my blog where you can find articles about What to Consider When Choosing an SUP, Best iSUPs, and Best Affordable SUPs. Best of luck in your decision! http://boardandkayaklife.com/category/sup-reviews/
Paddle On!

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 07:29:21 AM »
Surg:

Don't worry about PBill.. he's just Grumpy.

The big benefit of an iSUP is not the ability to deflate it.  It's the ability to have a board you don't have to baby.  Throw it to the ground, beach it hard into the local boat ramp, drag it across the ground, then bounce it into your garage.  You can't do that w/ a quality hardboard.

Re-reading your original post, I think your family would appreciate an iSUP.  They're more forgiving balance-wise, and your wife and son would enjoy the soft feel and lack of hard edges.  No dog paw scrapes/scratches, either. 

The downside is a quality iSUP is not cheap; no less expensive than a good hardboard, really.
BTW, a lot of the paralysis-by-analysis regarding hardboard shapes is in relation to surfing performance.  If you're not surfing, don't worry about it.

There's a few premium iSUP brands (ULI, Red Paddle), but I think most of the top surf brands (Starboard, Naish, Fanatic) offer similiar quality.
There's a Zoner who's a Fanatic dealer and can get you a good price if you ask around.
Again, I'd stay stick w/ a reputable mainline manufacturer, and skip the Walmart/Amazon route.
For max performance/glide/whatever, hardboard is better; it's your call regarding what your likely usage will be.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:32:18 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal