Author Topic: Jet ski incident at the Wedge  (Read 7280 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jet ski incident at the Wedge
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 04:58:44 AM »
Great footage.   Terrifying stuff.  It appeared as though they both had PFD's.  They were bobbing like corks.  Otherwise they would have been toast.  It definitely shows the benefit of flotation for random land-lubbers who aren't Houdini breath holders. 

Impressive how many people raced TO the action. There were 7+ people swimming towards them including a boat.  Hola!

Gaucho

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
Newport Beach has one of the best lifeguard departments in the world and they get plenty of action.  A couple of years ago a Newport guard named Ben Carlson gave his life saving others.  Can't imagine a scarier place to make a rescue when it's pumping.  Hats off to the Newport guards and all the others saving lives around the world

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »
When I paddled past a Jet Ski rental outfit on Mission Bay recently, I noticed the signs they had above all their skis that said

"DAMAGE TO SKI - $100/per INCH"

Hmmm, lemme' see... carry the 1... Jetty rocks are about 36" on average...

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »
I'll bet that guy just bought himself a broken ski.  I would be surprised if there weren't rules in place with the rental company that forbid that kind of stupidity.  It's probably totally on his dime. 

I've lived and surfed in Newport for 36 years and have only been out at the Wedge a handful of times.  It's barely even a ridable wave, peaks and then closes out.  It basically sucks, literally and figuratively. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »
Make it even more scary by adding an unmanned PWC inside the surfline.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal