Author Topic: Okay, I'm out  (Read 11597 times)

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, I'm out
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »
Giving serious consideration to voting Libertarian this election.

8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
Reality TV is the death of modern society.

As to the original post, if you don't participate you let others dictate the future of our republic.  If you throw away your vote for a third party candidate you have done the same thing.  Unless you think the best move is to burn it all down, hold your nose and vote.

Just my opinion.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 08:58:12 PM »
Normally I'd agree. Obama vs. Gore, I can stomach the choice there. Trump--absolutely not. Hillary--can't do it. This is the year for a third part to get real. Both of these parties have let us all down. I expect politicians to be lying liars, but this is a new low. And the senators and congressmen--they all come pre-sold to one special interest or another. Unions, corporations, whackjob religions, nutbag superpacs. I don't buy into conspiracies, I think most bad shit can be explained by the simple intersections of money, power, greed, hypocrasy, falsehood, and lack of integrity. We've got that in spades.

So yeah, I'd vote for a third party candidate, and if there were a good one, they'd blow this shit show out of the water. Bernie's is a fool not to just go for it. If he thinks the democratic partiy is more important than who leads the country then he isn't the guy I thought he was, and he deserves to sink back into obscurity. Paul Ryan could walk away with it--in a heartbeat. Again he's too busy being a player for the party, so goodbye. By 2020 there wont be a place for him. Hillary will probably win 2016 against Trump, and Paul Ryan will get all the blame as the spoiler, preventing any legislation--good, bad or indifferent. There might not BE a republican party in 2020. It could be two parties--the nuts and the religious nuts. Or maybe the chronically mean and the psychotic.

If anyone listens to him, Gary Johnson could be our next president. Here's his platform: lower taxes, embrace immigration, support marriage equality, focus on free markets and end the war on drugs. Legalize marijuana and limit military action. How's that sound. The lower taxes thing sounds a bit dipshit--any serious analysis of the laffer curve shows that the only place to make money lowering taxes is with the rich. Lower taxes to the middle class and all you get is less revenue. That just doesn't play well. But hey, seven out of eight ain't bad.

So no. I'm not leaving the parties, the parties left me. As they left a whole bunch of other people. My choice isn't psycho narcissist vs. pathological liar. I'll find someone that has a chance of beating both and work for them.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:01 PM »
The choice for top spot is lousy but we can all vote for senate and congress.  These are actually bigger deals, I think, than the presidential 'choices'

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 10:50:24 PM »
In some ways that is true, however, the pres picks supreme court justices, and they rule on matters of law that in many instances have a direct and sometimes profound affect on our lives. They also have the nuclear launch codes. So, it's still a big deal, I think.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 04:41:45 AM »
the pres picks supreme court justices

Yes, that used to be the way it worked.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 07:01:36 AM »
If you throw away your vote for a third party candidate you have done the same thing. 

This makes no sense .  Are you saying  that  the  only  vote  that  counts  is  the  ones for  the  winner ?

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »
I don't consider voting for the most desirable / qualified candidate throwing away ones vote. 
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 09:06:11 AM »
Voting third party is not a waste of my vote. It is to show my utter DISDAIN for the GOP.  When they look at their records they know when Repubs are voting but no longer voting Repub.
 I don't know how long its ever gonna take but one day they will do a palm to face and think " DUh HUh there was our sign"
 Be too late for me at my age but  OH WELL nothing I can do. As Pono said...GOP left me!! :(

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
Ralph Nader used to talk a lot about the "wasted vote" idea as a third party candidate.  I don't remember specifics, but he was sick of getting attacked by the left for "taking votes away" from them, and being treated as though he didn't understand the two-party system, was disrupting it, needs to get out of the way, etc.

There's some truth to the "wasted vote" theory in the sense that say, if the election is between Clinton and Trump, and you don't vote for the one you dislike least, you're making it more likely the other one will win. 

On the other hand, if you vote for a Republican or Democrat that you dislike, you're telling that party that you're loyal to them no matter how poor a candidate they nominate.  As others have said, if you vote for a third party candidate, you're telling both major parties that if they don't nominate someone good, they're not getting your vote.  Your vote might not change this election, but it may lead to getting better candidates next time.

In fact, you could say the reason the current Democratic and Republican candidates are both so unappealing to so many people in their own parties is because too many people were reluctant to "waste their vote" in the last few elections. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »

On the other hand, if you vote for a Republican or Democrat that you dislike, you're telling that party that you're loyal to them no matter how poor a candidate they nominate.
On second thought, while that may be what YOU are telling THEM (even though you may not want to admit it) what the party sees is one vote for their candidate, period.  Your  "I voted for Clinton even though I hate her but I hate Trump more" comes across to the party the same as "I voted for Clinton because she's perfect".  So if she wins, next time they'll nominate a similar candidate.

Maybe as soon as you vote, there should be a survey popping up asking you about your vote, so the party whose candidate you voted for can hear what you were thinking.  But there isn't, so voting third party gives the two major parties a much clearer message, that they can't mistake for approval of their candidate.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"
Rush, Freewill

Makes more sense now than ever...

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 04:04:40 PM »
This thread is timely.  Before it was started (by less than a day), I left the GOP and registered as a Libertarian, for essentially all the reasons stated here.  Based on some internet survey tool, I lined up FAR closer with them on the issues.  I'm a lifelong Republican that occasionally voted for others when it seemed to be the right thing to do in my eyes.

I will concede that there is nobody that believes the way that I do 100%, but I'd also be shot in the first 15 minutes for the changes I'd make were I to be promoted to supreme emperor.  I went with the one that most closely represented my views on governance.  Call it what you will: wasted vote, the start of a new political direction, protest; I couldn't vote for either Clinton or Trump in good conscience.

(p.s.: The discussion isn't over in our house)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 04:49:22 PM »
I think the libertarian party is about to get a lot bigger.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »
My parents have been bible thumping repubs their entire lives. They told me over the weekend they are voting libertarian.

Bad job Rs. Pander too long to the whack jobs and scare all the talent away. Boo you Rs.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal