Author Topic: Newbie here! What do I need to know?  (Read 4315 times)

unsunken

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Newbie here! What do I need to know?
« on: June 26, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
Hi everyone!

I just got an inflatable SUP and am super stoked! I've only taken it out to the local lakes so far and it's been a lot of fun. I'm headed to the San Juan islands soon and want to bring it with me for some half day trips. What do I need to know for paddling in that area? I'm a little concerned because it's an area known for orcas and other whales but also it's a larger and colder body of water than I've been on.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but I didn't see a newbie forum.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie here! What do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »
Always wear a leash..

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »
SUP is awesome and can be very safe but it does have some risks. People die every year on SUPs. Most of those accidents have significant contributing factors that can easily be mitigated with some knowledge and preparation (as you know since you are asking). You are in almost infinitely greater danger from an unexpected 35 mph offshore wind than you ever will be from sharks or whales, I'd be looking for those. Here are a few things that occur to me...
1. Like DJ said, Always wear a leash.
2. WEAR a life jacket (unless you are surfing)
3. Always tell someone what your paddle trip plans are, including: where and when you are starting your paddle. Where and when you plan to finish. Do it in writing (avoid the, “I THINK he said he’d be done by 4. Or maybe it was 5?) This is called a "float plan" Make sure the person knows what to do if you don’t contact them at the end time (i.e. call the Coast Guard). I personally text my plans to my wife. She knows to call the coast guard if I don’t show up. (Or maybe just collect the insurance)
4. Consider dressing for the water. (wetsuit?) The water up there is cold.
5. Know what the weather forecast is for the day. (Is a storm predicted?) Specifically know the wind forecast. Is the wind going to build? Is the wind going to switch directions later? Wind is your friend when it “has your back”. But it is NOT your friend when it is "all up in your face.” Know what the forecast is.
6. Always wear a leash.
7. Consider taking a lesson from a certified SUP Instructor. I personally recommend finding someone certified at least Level 2 from the ACA. Tell him or her what your plans are and have them work with you on these issues. For example, they can show you and have you practice ways to paddle your board if you have to move into s strong wind.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:13:49 PM by addapost »
Bunch of old shit

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 04:35:03 PM »
There are a lot of wind related websites.  Check them out now. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Newbie here! What do I need to know?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
addapost has some great advice. I would add to just make sure you also know local water conditions like tides and currents. Talk to local boaters, especially kayakers, who have experience in your waters.

Know where the local boat channels are and stay out of them.

Also, don't overestimate your abilities. If the weather starts getting twitchy, head home. If things get bad, pay attention to ditch points. You might need to find shore quickly. Know where you can do that.

I would also get a $20 waterproof phone case. If it's an iPhone, turn on the Find Friends app, and your friend/mate can track exactly where you are. (My wife does this with me on my long paddles.) Plus, you can always call for a pickup or help.

Not that this is a dangerous sport, but a few smart precautions make sense. Most of us have gotten in trouble because of one thing happening or another. Just make sure you're safe in case trouble comes up.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 09:28:24 PM »
Hi everyone!

I just got an inflatable SUP and am super stoked! I've only taken it out to the local lakes so far and it's been a lot of fun. I'm headed to the San Juan islands soon and want to bring it with me for some half day trips. What do I need to know for paddling in that area? I'm a little concerned because it's an area known for orcas and other whales but also it's a larger and colder body of water than I've been on.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but I didn't see a newbie forum.

BRING HYDRATION (and maybe even an energy bar). Check the weather and wind forecast (wunderground.com puts all the information on one page), and check the tides for the area (http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/washingtonsites.html). I believe the PFD is required by law (wear it, don't just strap it to the board) and the correct leash for that body of water is strongly recommended (you can do a search here on the forum for different leash types). If you can read a nautical map, they're available online: http://www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveCatalog/nrnc.shtml

With regards to whales, I don't know what the regulations are in your state, but keeping your distance is always a wise choice… actually, a quick check of the NOAA site says, "It is illegal to approach killer whales in inland waters of Washington State within 200 yards (600 feet) by land or sea" Of course, sometimes it's the whale that comes in for a closer look. If you're approached, remain calm. Don't touch, don't get in their way. They're an inquisitive mammal, but intelligent enough to know we're not on the menu.

Have fun and stay safe! :)
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 10:14:12 PM »
I did a trip to the San Juans many years ago.
We went sailing a few times with a friend who lived on his boat up there.

Tides can be very very strong up there.
We sailed through a place where the tides intersected and the 30 foot sailboat went sideways.
These were strong currents going in two directions.
Find out all about the currents & tides.

The water up there is very cold.
Wear a wetsuit and use a leash in the ocean or on lakes.

Definitely talk to local SUPpers up there
before heading out.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:19:59 PM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
What do I need to know?

* Hot chicks live over here:  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,15352.1455.html

* Everyone here is more than happy to recommend the board they currently own, as better than all other boards.

* It's only a matter of time before Area10 chimes in and tells you that your iSUP is a drop-stitch deathwish.

Welcome to the 'Zone!
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 12:23:39 PM »
I live in Ferndale (right across from the San Juans) and paddle 3-5 times a week on the bay, and I can tell you that it's probably a bit more challenging than you may be imagining right now. Having sailed extensively in the San Juan Islands, I would highly recommend you get tide flow tables called Waggoner's tables ($6.95)
http://www.metskers.com/738341/products/Waggoners-TablesWashburn-Tables-2016.html

You will also need the Current Atlas of Juan de Fuca Strait to Strait of Georgia ($29.95) http://www.metskers.com/744358/products/Current-Atlas-of-Juan-de-Fuca-Strait-to-Strait-of-Georgia.html

It may sound silly to some here, but the tides in & around the islands are VERY powerful & dangerous to paddleboarders if you don't know where they are & how strong they will be. If you are planning on paddling along the coasts of islands, or visiting the smaller rock islands everywhere, this table & atlas will tell you when & where the currents are strongest at any given time/day.

Feel free to give me a shout if you want any specifics about the area, it's amazing out here!
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »
Hi unsunken.... welcome to the Zone!

Some good advice above .... and lots of caution, with good reason.
Take Remickulous up on the kind offer for local knowledge... understanding the San Juans is an absolute must.

I bet there are paddle guides that you could hire, to lead you on a safe, beginner friendly tour.... or maybe hook up with a local paddle group.

I am just guessing, from my limited experience on inflatables, but I bet they are more difficult in wind and tide than hard SUPs, so plan wisely.

Know your wind!

Have a blast and give us a report on how the trip goes.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »
* Everyone here is more than happy to recommend the board they currently own, as better than all other boards.
The leash thingy.  Imagine your board in the wind.

unsunken

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
Wow! Thank you all so much for the great advice!  :) I still have a few weeks til my trip so I'm going to try to get myself as prepared as possible in the meantime. Next stop, Metsker Maps!

Remickulous I will probably take you up on your offer. So far all I know is we are staying on the west side of San Juan island and somewhere on Orcas island.

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 10:51:06 PM »
Oh yes, those are some amazing places to visit and stay! I just bought a hard SUP after learning on an inflatable, and the advice to be cautious of wind on an inflatable is sound advice indeed. You will find lots of little bays and gunkholes to visit, but I advise you to not stray too far from shore access points out there.

As for whales, sea lions, seals, porpoises, and other amazing sea life, don't fear them at all, just keep your distance and enjoy the sights! The San Juan islands are an absolutely stunning place to adventure in & around in the summer, and with the advice already given here you should have a wonderful time. PFDs are required if you didn't know already :-)
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal