Author Topic: Ace 23.5 too much?  (Read 2135 times)

heyheysup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Ace 23.5 too much?
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »
Hello. First post, long time watcher but a lot of trouble to sign in!
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an used Starboard Ace 14*23.5, not sure if 2014 or 2015 (2014 color pattern,  but says " by Mathieu Rauzier" on the bottom as in the 2015s).
I'm 5'8", 160lbs,  fairly experienced rider,  currently using a 2014 Allstar 14*25.5, which I'm very comfortable in balance wise,  very rarely falling in.
I owned a 2010 starboard New (first year Ace) 12.6*25, and I found it was a lot of fun to ride in the sea, much more than my current Allstar, which struggles in high chop.
Do you think it's a board too unstable? I think of it as my main ocean and bay race board,  and I suppose it will be faster and more fun to ride...
I have used briefly a 2015 14*25Ace and found it a little less stable than my Allstar, but I don't know how big is the stability difference between the 23.5 and the 25.
I don't have the chance to test first,  and I also know that the Ace needs a learning curve...
What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:38:05 PM by heyheysup »

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ace 23.5 too much?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 08:50:24 PM »
It depends on how determined you are.  The ACE takes some getting used it will roll a long way and come back if you keep paddling (I've had water come over the side before and stayed on)

I race a 14x25" and train on a 23" at 6' and somewhere around 215 lbs, with not great balance.  I've tried racing the 23" but I just can't turn it reliably and it's just a wee bit to wobbly in the cross chop, I love everything else about it.

My 23 is a 2013. The last time I paddled a 2015 23" I found it more corky and harder to paddle, but that was with a pretty big sea running.

heyheysup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »
Thanks for your answer! Your balance must be pretty good to ride such boards with your weight. I understand that you train with the narrower board to get an extra amount of stability on the 25? Or is to ensure not to fall in in the races?

heyheysup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »
Hey! A lot of miles already on my Ace 23.5 since last July. Finally, after all my doubts, I have had no stability issues at all with this board, even on fairly rough stuff. It rolls and bobs a lot, but once used to, is no problem, as you move along with the board and don't try to fight it.  It handles side chop nicely, too (apparently a lot less nose volume than the 14x25). I find it more reactive and nervous than the 25, and it pearls more in downwind stuff. Overall a superb do it all board (excluding Beach races) and the most important thing to me: is the most fun board I've ever tried or owned. I 've read before that an Ace is a racing board with results and quickness  in mind, but to me is in addition a lot of fun (not in flat water, of course).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal