Author Topic: ISO Greenough Stage 6 fin, trade or cash  (Read 7448 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
ISO Greenough Stage 6 fin, trade or cash
« on: June 26, 2016, 01:53:13 PM »
I'm in search of a Greenough Stage 6 fin, anything 9" or longer.  Condition relatively unimportant.  Will pay $ but I also have a bunch of longboard fins I could trade.  If anyone has what I'm looking for, let me know and if you want to trade, I'll then go and photograph my fins to post here.  if you want $, let me know how much. thanks!  linter

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: ISO Greenough Stage 6 fin, trade or cash
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:25:43 AM »
Have you tried the True Ames website?  http://www.trueames.com/
They still make them.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:44:35 AM »
Can I ask what board you plan to use the Stage 6 fin on?  (I was thinking about trying a Wingnut cut-away on my B&B)

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »
I loce this fin on certain boards.  I have not tried it on a SUP yet but I can tell you my Yater Spoon loved it.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »
  I just ordered it from Bashams -- $63 with shipping for the 9.75.  I'm going to use it on my JL black and blue.  Have no idea how it'll work or even if, but i'm looking forward to finding out.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
I tried it on a longboard style JL 10 years ago...worked OK...but, I prefer a wide base and flexy tip...personal preference(s)...YMMV...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 06:44:53 AM »
Linter, looking forward to seeing how you like that fin on the B&B.

I tried a 9" WN cutaway this morning in place of the 10" stock fin and found the board to be a lot looser and maybe just a tad quicker down the line.   

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
   Will report back.  Are you going to stick w/ the Wingnut?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »
Probably stick with it for a few sessions, the only drawback is minor loss in stability.

Have you found the accelerator on your B&B yet?  On the 9'6" there is a flat(er) spot in the rocker, just about in the middle, where you can get just a little more speed down the line. 

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:34:03 PM »
Linter, I gotta say that after a loooong search for a board that works for you, I'm really happy you found the JL Black and Blue.  I see my son try boards he's not right for and he's frustrated vs when he's on one that fits and works for him.  The difference between right and wrong can be ever so slight.  :D

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
Linter, looking forward to seeing how you like that fin on the B&B.

I tried a 9" WN cutaway this morning in place of the 10" stock fin and found the board to be a lot looser and maybe just a tad quicker down the line.

Me too - look forward to your thoughts on the Stage 6.

& I also have a Wingnut Cutaway 10" that I'd only used on my Laird 10'6" and I'm remembering it wasn't that great
on the Laird but I was probably using bigger sidebites - later, on the Laird, my favorite cutaway is only 5.5"s.  So,
probably not the right fin on that board.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys brought up the Wingnut on the B&B - so, I also tried it out today on my B&B for the first time.
I've recently been using pretty big D fins on the Black & Blue - I've got the 10'1" board.

In order of what I noticed with the Wingut on the B&B:

Paddling, I found it was, as expected, more wobbly - less surface area - but not too bad.

Yawing, I found it paddled plenty straight - cool, I thought it could be a problem
but it has some area pretty deep and lots of raked area.

Paddling speed and drag - much less!! as expected, I think, in part, because of less area
but maybe mainly because of less fin base - totally opposite of what I was going for
with the D-Fins (which I do like).  I definitely like less paddling drag!

Taking off on the wave - yahoo - less drag so easier takeoffs.   I really like less paddling effort
especially in the crowded, competitive conditions I surf in.  & I got a bunch of great rides.

Turned fine - I thought I might have to get used to it, going to less area but was good right away.
Noseriding....held in very well - didn't hang toes but I was way up there - seemed to slow the
board down a bit on the wave - very fun.
Pivot turns - I did do some pivot turns on the smaller waves - it is kind of raked but still pivoted
if I wanted it to - a bit surprised by that.
Cutbacks - worked well.

Going over pretty big balls of white water - definitely more wobbly.  In fact, I fell a few times when I doubt I would
have fallen with the bigger area D-Fins or pivots.  However, as the session progressed I seemed
to be adapting to it.  Still, a little more effort there.

Going down a big face.  Geeze on a 1.5x or maybe a bit larger wave a longboarder shoulder
hopped me just after I took off - way too close.  I had to slow down and the wave started spilling on me,
so I cut back straight down the wave towards the beach -- got way back on the board - the nose did wobble back and forth for
a bit - I lost a little control going down that steep - I've found moving the fin back can solve that
issue...sometimes the same problem from a more straight up pivot...but moving it back in conjunction with the
huge tail rocker seems to solve it.  I had the fin about 2 inches forward in the box and hanging out
beyond the tail by about a half an inch, or an inch (difficult to measure) - Anyway, if waves are big
I'd probably move the fin back in the box an inch or so more.  But only had the problem once today - but
don't like to potentially lose control like that on a big wave face.

Anyway, wow I was surprised at how much l like the B&B with the Wingnut.
I think the main thing is - similar performance with less physical effort.
 ;D ;D ;D
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 12:58:34 AM »
Slatch: As you know, it took me a super long time to find the right board for me, but the journey was worth it.  I now have 3 B&Bs, one in San Diego, two here with me in RI.  They just suit my sort-of style -- i can move about on it or just stand there and do nothing at all.

Bean: I know that flat spot you're talking about.  I have no troubles with speed on this thing.  i mean, the kind of speed I'm looking for.

Subber: thanks for the report!  BTW / What D fin and size have you been using?  My local surf shop has a true D that looks to be maybe 9" at most and weighs a ton.  I've thought It'd be fun to try but it costs a ton.
   Unless I'm planning to walk right on take off, almost all my turns are pivot turns, so I'm always looking to maximize the ability to do so.  The stock Jimmy fin is great for many things, but it was maybe a little big for quicker pivots.  I'm currently using a smaller, earlier-era Jimmy fin that's much better for me (at the cost of some stability) but I thought I'd give the Stage 6 a go, just to see what it does.

p.s. glad to see more B&Bers among us.  it's a very specialized, one of a kind board and it's great to be able to share thoughts about it.  mine are all the 10.1 variety.  have you guys tried late, nearly sideways take offs in crumbly waves?  The board just slides down the face with the crumble and then scoots on forward.  I'm not sure, but I think the 50/50 rails allow for the slide. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:02:21 AM by linter »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 07:02:36 AM »
...have you guys tried late, nearly sideways take offs in crumbly waves?  The board just slides down the face with the crumble and then scoots on forward.  I'm not sure, but I think the 50/50 rails allow for the slide.

YES!  This morning in fact.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

Subber: thanks for the report!  BTW / What D fin and size have you been using?  My local surf shop has a true D that looks to be maybe 9" at most and weighs a ton.  I've thought It'd be fun to try but it costs a ton.
   Unless I'm planning to walk right on take off, almost all my turns are pivot turns, so I'm always looking to maximize the ability to do so.  The stock Jimmy fin is great for many things, but it was maybe a little big for quicker pivots.  I'm currently using a smaller, earlier-era Jimmy fin that's much better for me (at the cost of some stability) but I thought I'd give the Stage 6 a go, just to see what it does.

p.s. glad to see more B&Bers among us.  it's a very specialized, one of a kind board and it's great to be able to share thoughts about it.  mine are all the 10.1 variety. have you guys tried late, nearly sideways take offs in crumbly waves?  The board just slides down the face with the crumble and then scoots on forward.  I'm not sure, but I think the 50/50 rails allow for the slide.

I've gotten toes over with the Rainbow Skeg 8.5" tall, 8.5” base + 0.5” overhang - That is the one I'd recommend at this point (Bashams).  I also have the 9.75” Mason Dyer Jetson D-Fin, 8.33” base, and the 9” Future Fins Greg Noll D-Fin – Had to cut it to fit 10” box, total in-the-box length is about 10.375” originally (before modification);  I'd like to try the D-fin by True Ames (among others).  The only other fin I got toes over with is the Velzy Butterfly V-fin but it has more drag.

I think the Rainbow works better than the others for the B&B because it seems to me that the Rainbow has a thicker foil which I think is better for the B&B than those fins with a narrower/thinner foil.  I think that also is probably why the Wingnut (Rainbow) works well on the B&B - kind of a thick fin.  I also have a couple (really like the way the fin looks) Rainbow El Gato's - better for the B&B than my Laird which has the sharper rear rails - I'm thinking the Skeg and the Wingnut Cutaway work better for the B&B than the El Gato.

Anyway, I had my best day ever with the Rainbow Skeg.  It was a sloppy day - about overhead waves and hardly anyone out.  I was surprised at how well the B&B was turning with a D-fin.  So, I decided to do some rollercoasters and really drive down and then get some vertical - which I hadn't really tried doing in a long time - who thought you could do that on a "log" - but here I was really doing it well -  on the top turn, I'd stall and have to run to the nose to get it going again.  Then, near the bottom of a wave I was noticing how far up I was - I thought I can put toes over & I did - not a cheater five & also for several seconds - kind of planted there, then backpedaled. I did it a few times that day.

--
You know I also have had some or even quite a few of those late, semi-sideways take offs on the B&B - even on steeper less crumbly waves - lol, where I though I'm going to eat it but the nose slid down into the wave - fun!  Yeah, its probably the rails, plus the float.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
I've find the fin from George super loose.  With bigger waves the smallest sidebites I have keep the tail tight(it's only 6").

These are my favorites though, 8,9 & 10", so loose and sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal