Author Topic: Those outer reef sneakers make for an expensive yard sale.  (Read 3773 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
We've been having a good run of big south swell lately. Not good for these guys. The demo video is painful to watch.

http://www.danapointtimes.com/high-surf-sends-sailboat-to-capistrano-beach-friday-morning/
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Those outer reef sneakers make for an expensive yard sale.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:00:05 PM »
Did they at least get to hang ten?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »
Thought you might be posting this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5L6xzIsESw
Make paddleboarding great again!

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:49:31 PM »
One of the local news guys this morning said stuff happens.  That is why we have lifeguards.  But, don't be a knucklehead and put the lifeguards in danger because of you are being irresponsible.

I'd like to hear their reasoning for being so close to shore.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
One of the local news guys this morning said stuff happens.  That is why we have lifeguards.  But, don't be a knucklehead and put the lifeguards in danger because of you are being irresponsible.

I know, I know!!  Dumber than a box of hammers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:04:27 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
About 4 years ago T Patterson and I were out surfing the old Capo Reef which is about 1/4 mile off shore. It was probably 8' to 12' and there was a couple on a jetski zipping around the break. The sets just pop out of nowhere. It's the same reef that crippled that yacht. They decided make a run at the face of a wave to jump it. It turned out to be the first of a set and it threw up faster and bigger than they planned for. As soon as they raced up the face they were vertical. They had so much speed just trying to make it over the wave that they launched into oblivion.

They probably had 15' to 20' of vertical air and doing a backflip. Once they were upside down they dropped off the seat and into the water on their backs. The jetski almost did a complete second rotation before it hit the water. Timmy and I sat there with our jaws dropped. It was one of those Holy Shit moments. We saw them swim to there jetski and eventually get it started. They headed straight back to the harbor. I don't think that guy will ever live that one down with his now ex-wife or ex-girl friend...... Idiots! 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:17:45 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
They headed straight back to the harbor. I don't think that guy will ever live that one down with his now ex-wife or ex-girl friend...... Idiots!

Matt, here's the video of them getting back to the harbor, safe and sound  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4Hf4kofTA

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »
Thought you might be posting this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5L6xzIsESw
I have never seen such a bone-headed move as this.  What a doofus. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »

I know, I know!!  Dumber than a box of hammers.
First you leave your political party, and now you follow up using an exclamation mark with an emoticon.  What's next?  12-6 race board? Drawstring pants?

This story does remind me of the guy who drove his 40' boat onto the island in the Willamette a while ago because he didn't notice it up ahead.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 02:55:41 PM »

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 05:46:54 PM »
I was in Cabo when a couple (70 y.o. dude with his 30 year old 2nd or third future ex wife) rented a big jetski and took it out from medano beach to the east. Me and my buds were making the long walk back from the rocks after surfing and saw these two having a heavy make out session outside the shore break on the back of the ski. Like every gringo in Cabo (me included) they were half-drunk. They tried to run it up on shore in 6' tall devastating shorebreak to I assume go have a fuck.

They made it safely but bruised ashore, getting flung off the ski as it nosed into the sand. The lady's shoes, hat and glasses were goners. They laid there in the wet sand  while the ski floated out on the wave. It didn't come in on the next wave, but moved out another 10 feet. We were 100 yards away, running, screaming at the dude to get out of the way, but he wanted to save his rental fee so he started wading out towards the ski. The next wave picked it up and the ski just trucked him. He lived through that, jumped up and tried to hold the ski on the steep beach as the wave receded. It started sliding back down the beach and instead of getting on the water side of the ski, he tried holding it in place from the land side. A couple waves ones moved him up the beach a bit, and then sucked him back down, the 3rd or 4th one picked the ski up over his head and the two of them rolled up the beach. By now we were there, and I told the bleeding, panting, cursing, crying old bastard "GO THE FUCK UP THE BEACH AND SIT BY YOUR WIFE!". He had the strangest reaction, he said to me "Don't fuckin tell me what to do." and hobbled back down the beach to get plowed over by the ski a couple more times and then he said "Fuck it they can have it." and started the walk of shame back to the rental place.

After my convo with the guy we just gave up and sat there. The ski was just a hull with parts and pieces all over the place. It had floated out to the medium shorebreak and we swam out and waited for a lull and dragged it out beyond the break, the whole operation took like 3 minutes no more damage to the ski or anyone else. The rental guy came and dragged it back, but it was done for.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal