Author Topic: Ouch!?!  (Read 5550 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Ouch!?!
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:17:00 AM »
When it's small the temptation to milk every bit of the wave into the shorebreak becomes strong.

Somewhere in the foam cycle my camera got loose and started going south with the rip. I should have released my leash as I went after it.....

The good news is, these Sunova's are built very strong and my repair guy is a wizard.

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch!?!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 03:43:54 AM »
Ouch, beautiful conditions, is that Cape Cod?

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 03:48:43 AM »
In between hossegor and biarritz, france.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 03:49:38 AM »
Wow that seems like a small wave to do that much damage so easily !! Not sure if I buy the whole Sunova is a tough board after seeing that !
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:16:07 AM »

Wow I was close,, not!!

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 04:20:48 AM »
Wow that seems like a small wave to do that much damage so easily !! Not sure if I buy the whole Sunova is a tough board after seeing that !

Even small shore pounders are notorious for snapping noses, especially longboards and SUP's.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 06:18:17 AM »
Even though I'm a newbie when it comes to sup surfing, I know when I get my new sup I'm never going to keep riding a wave to milk it for all it's worth where it basically breaks right on the beach sand where the odds of damaging my sup are very high.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 07:06:47 AM »

On my bucket list of spots to surf. Is this close?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCXjnGXp14&index=57&list=FLetRdTMKVzMbNGDqRZ8FmgA
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »
The spots name is Parlementia, sits in between the villages Bidart and Gučthary. It's about 20 min south, the queen of the coast.

b

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 08:08:41 AM »

Wow, l dreaded this sort of response.

Any board will break if put in the wrong spot. This was a small wave, ok, but it was a long period swell in about a foot of water.  I was expecting a fully broken board when it happened.  I've broken some boards over the years.  That it didn't should be a boost for the Sunova brand.

I know I'm planning my next one

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
Even though I'm a newbie when it comes to sup surfing, I know when I get my new sup I'm never going to keep riding a wave to milk it for all it's worth where it basically breaks right on the beach sand where the odds of damaging my sup are very high.
     I don' t know about you but one of the first things I learned is that good sense stays behind when I am stoked.  I took a pass on kiting because it looked like so many kitemares were errors of judgement and mine is no better than anybody else's when I'm stoked. 

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 09:24:55 AM »
I'm pretty sure I did something similar with my innegra Prowave recently.  How and when, and how long, I don't really know, with some fierce days from El Nino.

The innegra is pretty tough and has given me a year an a half of care free outings several times a week, so I am not that miffed, and the nose didn't crack off.  It left a splintered area about 18 inches long on one side and a few fractured holes on the other.  I think with a standard board, the nose would have broken off.

Strange thing, I still don't think the absolute inner foam was breached and the board isn't sponging. 

I am in the process of repairing the spots as I find them, but I guess the Prowave is on it's way to becoming a Supcheat beater.

I took my neighbor's Pearson Arrow custom 9'2"x32.75" that you surfed when you were here.  It is the second time I have been on the board, and it made me feel like a balance champ.  I was able to do all kinds of pretentious thinkgs like 360 buoy turns and stepping and even standing close the rails while turning. I can do an 180 turn around on it in about 2 seconds.  I looked like a standup guy for a change.

Everything I learned about turning on the Prowave also worked great on the Pearson board, with the Pearson board managing very adept bottom turns and riding up and down the face down the line.  I could step it like crazy because there is so much space. 

The Prowave changes with fractions of an inch of foot position, so it was fun having broader sweet spots for everything and the Pearson seems made for somebody my size.  The Pearson also has a very nice, controllable "slide" characteristic that is hard to describe.  I can see why the Pearsons are favored for stunt sliding on wave crests and white water.

I'll take the Pearson out again today, the Prowave will probably be back in service Sunday with Supcheat bandaids.

By the way, Jay, the look of pained "Oh, Hell" on your face was priceless, but I'm sorry about your (new?) board.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »
  I don' t know about you but one of the first things I learned is that good sense stays behind when I am stoked.  I took a pass on kiting because it looked like so many kitemares were errors of judgement and mine is no better than anybody else's when I'm stoked.

Thank you, guilty.

I took my neighbor's Pearson Arrow custom 9'2"x32.75" .... I looked like a standup guy...

Hey Carl, you should make the Pearson your daily driver.  Longer sessions and more waves to get you ready for the bigger days on the Prowave.

And thanks but no worries about my board, it's in good hands.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
Jay, you are a bad, bad man! Great video, sorry about the Sunova. I remember a while back we discussed a certain popular DW brand's unwillingness to take punishment.

Hopefully your water temps are warming up!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
rbgar said
"Is that Cape Cod?"

ha ha.... I said
"Sheeesh, that looks like Cape Cod shorebreak!"

and yes.... anyone who knows that type of shorebreak understands 100%,  that it is easily enough to fold any board if you are unlucky enough to get caught up in it..... it's the shallows, not huge size that pound you...and you can't escape if you are in the wrong place. I almost drowned last winter in 8" of water (broke my Prowave HRS, which is damn near bulletproof)

Bad luck sJ.... hopefully your guy will do a great job in time for summer LB sessions!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal