Author Topic: Bark vs Naish.  (Read 14664 times)

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bark vs Naish.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
DJ - Is that the Surftech Bark?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 03:08:40 AM »
DJ - Is that the Surftech Bark?

No...it's not... but it looks a lot like it tho..  :)

Joe Bark will have a shape with Surftech out in March Called the expedition 14FT

DJ

aquamoose

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »
The 14' Bark you guys paddled looks to be the identical template to the Surftech Bark 14' Expedition
-that is a Coastal Cruiser model and not really the racing model.
It has a flip nose like a short board.
For racing you want more of a keel entry to part the seas and minimize pearling,
just like in an unlimited paddleboard,
the nose you want can be seen on the barkocean.com site-on his prone boards like the Molokai models.

Below you can see the 12'6 Bark nose we all used at the 2008 BOP. My 14', 18', 18'6" and 19' all have the same nose and all surf, run, and glide unreal.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »
Aquamoose: do you notice much difference between the 18' & 19'... I have a 18 on the way, but am curious.  I weigh 180lbs.

Can't wait!!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 11:45:46 AM »
Hey GD what width did you get?  Rudder? I have my mind set on a 19x27 now...no good reason I just want another. 

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:43 PM »
Hey Shawn Michael... I got 28" with rudder.  The way Joe explained it to me was I can pretty quickly remove the rudder on calm days and lock-out the fin?  Is that how yours works?
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
Mine is rudderless but I think you just pull the pin out of the tiller to remove it and lock the rudder.  I am sure it is well done, the boards are just really nice. 

I think getting the rudder is a good idea.  On the days when the wind and current are pushing, you can be stuck paddling 20 on one side three on the other which gets really old.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »
A not so great photo of the JL 12'6 and the 18X28 Bark

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »
I usually paddle loop around naples island which (per long beach rowing association) is just over 2.5 miles.  On the JL on 10mile run I average 36:45 per lap.  On the bark 29:30.  When you are talking about 12+ miles it makes a big difference and you feel like your effort is repaid and you are getting some glide for your work. I am sure there are a lot of guys who can paddle shorter boards faster than me on the long board but I can only improve myself so I am stoked. In all fairness to the JL I think at bodyweight of 260+100oz of water + wet clothes I was too heavy for it and pushing a lot of water....maybe even too much for the Bark...Joe said go bigger...I might break out the math skills and try to calculate the surface area of the board.  What is great is that unlike outrigger you can get a SUP board that is perfect for your bodyweight.

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
Hey Shawn Michael,
i've got a JL distance too and have ordered a Bark 18'x26 which is on it's way to me (will take a while to get here in Greece).
it's cool to see the picture of them together. such a huge difference visually.
will be getting a gps and doing some comparisons as soon as i get it here. thanks for your info till now.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 09:44:03 AM »
Shawn... it's about time you posted a pic of your board!  Do you run a leash all the way from the back?  On a 18' thats a long way, I was wondering if I would be able to run a really short leash from the carry handle in the middle of the board... do you think that would work? Was also wondering if that's a Zaveral paddle I see in your picture?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:46:00 AM by greatdane »
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 11:22:49 PM »
Noa, OH MAN are you in for a treat when you first take the Bark out...Do not forget what a beautiful feeling it is when you feel that GLIDE for the first time.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »
Yea, running the leash from the carry strap it is the way to go...th leash I have on hand it to long so I have it running from the back.

Yes, that is IMO the finest paddle around. Zaveral 84in 13degree with the big 9.75inch blade.   I really like my quick blade too but the oval shape of the shaft on the ZRE feels better in my hand.  I will have to get some better pics of the board...I just ran out and got em since I finally found the cable for the computer.  I will post some side by side of the JL and the bark.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:35:21 PM by Shawn Michael »

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 04:19:52 AM »
Noa, OH MAN are you in for a treat when you first take the Bark out...Do not forget what a beautiful feeling it is when you feel that GLIDE for the first time.

i remember getting on the Lewis distance for the first time after using his 9'8 exclusively and thinking "shit this baby has some glide". ofcourse i have now reallized that it's glide is marginal. i can only imagine that when i paddle the Bark it's going to blow my head off. the bad news is that it's still two whole months away from me. anyway, the anticipation is also something to cherish. and yeah, i'm going to do my best to lock into my memory my first moments on it. would love to see more pics, although it's a bit (a lot) of a tease.
have you tried these boards in downwinders ? that is my main intended use for them.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
I am just a novice but it rides every ripple and wake better than the JL...I am sure there are some limitations but it is a serious upgrade...it is not like "this is a little better" it is a whole other level of performance when compaired to that board. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal