Author Topic: Coastal Commission says gate at Privates is too be removed or 11k a day fine  (Read 8772 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
"The high cost of a key card"....HA!
as the state guiltlessly collects my $195 per year for a beach parking pass.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
KSBW TV was there this morning getting the local scoop. Too bad (or good thing) is was so foggy that you couldn't see the waves from the cliff. I'm adding another 30 waves to my life's total.

ww.ksbw.com/news/coastal-commission-orders-capitola-privates-beach-to-become-public/40215126?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=KSBW%20TV%20Action%20News%208&Content%20Type=Story
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:29:11 PM by southwesterly »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I watched their video news segment:

http://www.ksbw.com/news/some-capitola-residents-want-to-make-private-opal-cliffs-beach-public/40217512

A bit of exaggeration, there.  Privates isn't a mile of coast, maybe a quarter of a mile.  Also, the gate doesn't have a 'guard' per se, the gate monitors are kids who open and close the gates for people and generally just keep an eye on the place when it's busy.  They aren't always there.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
inaccuracy and exaggeration in the media!! Inconsistency and smug populism in government!! Say it isn't so.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
From one of the local blogs:

"Joan's reply is close but far from the truth. Privates has had a gate/keyed access since something like 1945ish. Originally, only members of the Opal Cliff association had keys. About once a year, someone would either rip down the gate or disable the gate's lock. That went on for years. Then along came the Cal Coastal Commission and demanded that beach access be granted so keys were then made available for purchase by the public. Before the current gate and staircase were built, the Opal Cliff association did NOTHING to maintain the access after the original staircase was built other than replacing the gate/fence or lock. I know because I was once a member when I lived on Court Dr. The original staircase was in a major state of disrepair and then along came the 1989 earthquake. New staircase was built, landscaping and new gate came with it. It was great until individuals who do not live in the neighborhood started to get territorial and started restricting access to surfers/families trying to enter the gate that actually live in the neighborhood. Personally I am glad that the Costal Commission has responded to the plethora of complaints regarding that issue and are demanding that the gate be removed. After all, it is a public beach."

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I wonder if they will do the same thing everywhere else like at Terramar. You can get access form either side but there is a prime shortcut through  a locked gate in the middle of the houses that requires a key.

If it does come down will everyone get there money back?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The main thing is, it is open to the public now. If I want to surf at nearby state parks like New Brighton, Seacliff or Manresa, it’s going to cost me $190 for a yearly state park pass or 10 dollars for day use. Privates (I’ve been calling it Publics now) is a way better deal at 100 dollars a year. The Opal Cliffs Park Association has petitioned the Coastal Commission in the past for a day use fee with no response.

Yesterday, the head of the County Sheriff’s Department sent out and posted a letter in favor of keeping the gate and fence. In the short time since the Commission’s order came down, we already have over 700 hundred signatures also in favor of keeping it the way it is.

Why try to fix something that’s not broken?

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ahh the government at work   Collectively it is a shame. why focus on that  there are far more important to do.  Like having a beach named after me or  something like that.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I surfed Privates this morning, one day before the deadline. The park association’s response is that they are going to ignore the deadline.

Let the games begin.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
One of the kids at the gate told me last week they were seeking a 30 day reprieve to discuss the matter.   Maybe they got it.

That would only make my pass cost 50 dollars a month for two months.

Maybe they will have an all-thong protest instead of the usual grizzled, superannuated Sierra Club hippie types.

"Tear down The Man's gate!" "The Establishment Doesn't Own the Ocean!"

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The main thing is, it is open to the public now. If I want to surf at nearby state parks like New Brighton, Seacliff or Manresa, it’s going to cost me $190 for a yearly state park pass or 10 dollars for day use. Privates (I’ve been calling it Publics now) is a way better deal at 100 dollars a year. The Opal Cliffs Park Association has petitioned the Coastal Commission in the past for a day use fee with no response.

If everyone of these "associations" along the coast decided to charge a day use fee I'm pretty sure the "deal" would quit being a "deal".

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I'm thinking they should just add a $5 a day, day-pass option.
 8)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

If everyone of these "associations" along the coast decided to charge a day use fee I'm pretty sure the "deal" would quit being a "deal".

The thing you are paying the Park Association for is the stairway that they built and its maintenance. Without the staircase to the beach you would have never heard about this issue.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:53:36 PM by southwesterly »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The staircase is the only thing that makes the beach negotiable.  Otherwise, it is walk in at low tide from 41st/Capitola or paddle in.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
On Thursday, when I went out, there was a messed up "street person" on a bicycle yelling at the kid at the gate and ranting on and on because he wouldn't let him in.  He could have ridden his bicycle a few minutes in either direction and got right onto the beach, but it's clear the publicity about the gate made him feel he had a cause célèbre to make an issue at the gate and harass the gate monitor.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal