Author Topic: NEW KeNalu Mana's Finally Here + first Impression  (Read 3471 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
NEW KeNalu Mana's Finally Here + first Impression
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »
Hey They FINALLY GOT HERE!

At first glance (I'm waiting for my DW ride I'll let you know more after a couple DW runs). The Mana has less pronounced wings and more "cupping" of the blade. Construction and graphics look perfect as always from KeNalu.
I have a DW (Xtuffs shaft, Mana 90 blade Ergo T handle) for this afternoons DW Runs. tonight I'll set up an Elite Shaft and Mana 82 blade, same handle hope for surf in the AM

Hope my pics came through I'll respond to this thread with my DW impressions

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NEW KeNalu Mana's Finally Here + first Impression
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »
Lane sent me one to try. I did a downwind run with it today. It was a light wind so a little hard to say. The paddle pulls straight as a string. I couldn't make it flutter. I think it's still a bit small for me at 90, but I'll give it some more testing. Despite one hour of hard OC6 paddling into a hefty headwind this morning, and 1:50 of hard paddling for this afternoon's run, my shoulders feel like I didn't do anything. But I'm hungry enough to eat my own leg.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
OK Guys I'm not Pono nor was my DW runs anywhere as radical as Bill runs Maui or the Gorge.
Winds died and shifted more on shore yesterday and My runs were from Margate Fishing Pier to the Ventnor fishing pier (a bit more than a mile Made 3 runs) . Dr Joe and I took turns between paddling and driving (OK we are lazy)  Board wise we played with a Fanatic Ray and a Bounce displacement hull 11'4 (These are obviously not 18FT Custom hollow SIC Board) There was a small waist high windswell running side onshore to the apparent wind.

So Paddling out into the chop/waves the Mana had a stronger catch and once I turned to go with the swell (DWing) I noticed I could get extra thrust from the Mana to catch the bump. So with three runs I used my 84 Konihi on one and I could feel the extra power the Mana gave per stroke The Mana was a 90 and I always use an Elite shaft but the Mana felt as "quick" as the smaller Konihi. All in all the Mana is an improvement due to what feels like an earlier catch in the stroke . The Mana added an inch or so to my previous paddle which also may have helped DWing

Moving to this morning early we had knee to waist high with building side chop I was on a Sunova Surf I cut down my surf paddle because the Mana 82 seeme to add an inch + to the OAL. I was concerned because I'm a big guy and the Mana blade was smaller than the 84's I'm use to (Konihi & Ho'Oloa) in the surf. So off I bounded into the dribbling surf at Ventnor Pier. To cut to the chase the Mana felt "Turbo Charged" The strong Catch equaled acceleration I could Power in from the back with ease and when you planted it to turn it was solid I also found if I fell behind the white water a quick stroke and I was vaulted onto the shoulder.

In conclusion I think KeNalu hit another home run on this paddle The only reservation is it only gives you performance if you are using proper stroke technique it is a high aspect paddle so you gotta watch your stroke because it punishes sloppy paddling...KeNalu offers better blades for more casual paddling (Wiki, Maliko, Molokia)

Great Job Lane

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:27:16 PM »
I agree Jim, you have to bury the paddle and push it down with your upper hand or it doesn't catch as hard. I'm used to the 95 Konihi, so my experience was less drive, but not much. The extra reflex in the tip looked excessive to me, but the buggah goes into the water like it was greased. If you bury it and pull there's zero vortex and absolutely no bubbles. I thought it would bubble on the face, but I was very wrong. It does the opposite--it doesn't suck air.

The no vortex thing is kinda weird. I stuck it in the water standing sideways on the board and pulled it straight to me. This is kind of like the swimming pool test for wobble--the movement is 100 percent slip, so wobbles, fluttering and vibration show up right away and the vortex feeding air down to the edge of the blade is most pronounced. No wiggle, no wobble, no vibration, and no vortex. None, zero, nada. No question these wings are doing something, but how that works remains a mystery to me. I saw a little bubble-like turbulence next to the shaft that looked very strange. The wings might guide the vortex to the join of the blade and shaft. I don't know. Whatever, it works. If you're looking for a mega-stable paddle between the 84 and 95 Konihi, you've got it. It's a little different, but mostly it slots right in there, and might do other things besides. Lots of premium paddle makers are going to high aspect, might be something special there. We'll see.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »
It's good to hear some feedback! I'm hoping to hear from more of the guys that purchased with the Zonestarter deal (maybe they have posted elsewhere, I'm just looking now for the first time). This has always been a great place for me to hear decent feedback so please keep it coming guys!

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:17:22 AM »
I haven't seen much feedback here for our Mana paddles yet, I was hoping to hear from some of you that took advantage of the "Zonestarter" offer. Anyway, here's a pretty lengthy review I just received form one of our customers for anyone that might be interested (Mostly cross comparing with a Konihi, but a few other observations too):

"Ok, after paddling with the Mana for a few weeks every day now, I feel comfortable offering up a few thoughts:

1: If you're used to paddling the Konihi, there is no learning curve. My first mile with the Mana was 9:45. My second was 9:50. For me, that's pretty quick in light chop without really getting on it. I felt the style and the way the paddle worked through the water is fundamentally the same as the Konihi. Now, having said that, I think these are both blades that reward a solid, intentional, smooth stroke. For example, I was doing intervals one day and I noticed that I was going almost as quick when I was taking slower, smooth strokes during my recovery as I was when I was hacking away a high, powerful cadence. This caused me to rethink my stroke with these blades a little bit, and the result, for me, is an ultra efficient stroke that I can maintain pretty much indefinitely.

2: The Mana is not the Konihi. It definitely has its own feel. It is easier through the water and I've found it especially useful upwind and current. Having said that, even though it's a smaller blade, I don't think it gives up much, if anything. When you plant that blade properly, you can pull a really powerful stroke. The shape of the blade is just so much more efficient than the "older" style paddles, and I think even a hair more refined in shape than the Konihi. I've seen this trend in some of my other hobbies... For a while everyone got amped up on REALLY long freedive fins because it stands to reason that more=faster=better. But what people are slowly starting to realize is that a fin with a smaller area with a superior shape and flex is more EFFICIENT than a super long fin. A top of the line fin feels like you're not doing any work, and ignorant folk equate that with not big enough, not stiff enough, not long enough. But, that is simply not the case. You go almost as fast with far less oxygen use.   Same thing in spearfishing, people have loaded up big game guns with 5 thick bands for years and years. ...until someone recently came along and proved via testing and physics that 2 smaller bands pulled more tightly can actually propel the same shaft faster and farther than 5 thick bands ever could. ...my point is this: I think you're really on to something with these blades. They're smaller than some macho guys would probably think appropriate. They almost feel too easy through the water. But, my speed has gone up. That's the sign of a real game changer.

3: I feel like I got 2 new paddles. I've settled on the Mana on the 100flex and the Konihi on the 90. I think the difference in shafts is bigger than the difference between those 2 blades for me. I've had flexible paddle shafts in the past, but none I liked. Your 90 is different. Or, maybe it's just different with these blades. I feel like that moment of flex when you sink the blade gives these blades that 1/100th of a second they really want to plant perfectly in the water. ...and once they are in the right orientation, they don't flutter, they don't move, it's all efficient power transfer. The 90 has been a revelation for me.

4: My go-to board is a starboard Ace GT 17 footer that weighs 30+ pounds. I live at the mouth of Tampa bay and the open ocean, so I never have truly flat water. The ability to have that extra flex with the 90 makes it, not only a more pleasant experience, but a faster and more efficient experience as well. I feel that the Mana on the 100 is better matched to an ultralight board. I've used it with my small 12'6" (currently in the market for a new 14 flatwater board) and it pairs very well with it.

5: I liked the ergo T a lot when I first grabbed it... It felt sleeker, lighter, stiffer, something. But, I think I'm going to order another ergo to replace it. I've got big lanky hands, and the ergo just fills them better. I find I can keep my hands more relaxed on it over great distances.

6: Just an observation: the screen printing on the Konihi looks better up close. The stickers on the Mana look better from afar. I think I slightly prefer the Konihi style. Others probably feel the other way. I fully understand the difficulties branding carbon fiber. I'm not really making a point here, just an observation. Overall, they are both beautiful.

7: Personal problem: when you get going downwind in the 100 degree 99% humidity of Tampa bay, the amount of sweat pouring down your paddle is akin to someone constantly running a hose on your head. I haven't found a really good solution to this. Yours is obviously better than the rest, but even it slips through my hands as I fatigue. I've tried tape, surf wax, and sticky bumps paddle wax. The wax is great in principle, but I wear everything I've tried off in a matter of a few miles. The tape is better for grip, but adds more weight and may be too sticky. ...I haven't kept any tape on for more than half a paddle at this point. And, it looks stupid. Any thoughts or ideas?

In sum: You have the two best blades in the game. Hands down. If I could only pick one... Honestly, I don't know. If you gave me either for a race, I would be thrilled. I've found myself grabbing the Konihi a little more frequently, but that's mostly a product of my liking the shaft and handle on it better. I think the shape and surface area of the Mana approaches perfection. I like the subtlety of the Konihi. I'm stoked to have the privilege of using both."

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
I just received my Mana 90 a few week-ends ago so did not yet got to put enough paddling time on it.
I am a light guy at 6' and 165 lbs so for me the Kohini 95 felt like too much and forced me to a slow stroke and risk shoulder pain.
I have been paddling the Konihi 84 during the whole winter both on a 100Flex and on a Xtuf(s).
Now I have both a Konihi 84 and Mana 90 on Xtuf(s).
First there is no way you would mistake one for the other. The size difference is pretty obvious in the pull.
I have had very limited tries in various conditions, and I would still favour the Kohini 84 for anything under 10 km fast pace but with more practise this could even out.
I think that I would use the Mana 90 for longer paddle taking the time to get a good measured purposeful stroke.
It is obviously more demanding to get a higher cadence from the 90 then the 84 but it is possible for me while it was not with the 95.
As I get used to the blade, I could see a point where the 90 could give almost as fast a cadence than the 84 but with a stronger pull.
I still need to get used to the Mana for downwinding where I have been using a more traditional blade shape or the high cadence 84.
This fells somewhat in the middle.
In confused chop, the 90 gives good bracing when needed but is a little bit more demanding than the 84 when you want to give some very quick strokes.
So learning to use the blade is still a work in progress.

I think that the 90 size is at the top of the range size wise for me and I would not have the blade even one inch bigger.
I also think that the 90 should rather be compared to the 95 and is more of an evolution and refinement on this blade rather than comparing to the 84 because of the strong pull.
Given a choice between the 95 and the 90, it is a no-brainer for me and the 90 it is.
I am curious about the 82 now......
Regarding feel and novelty factor, I think that the Konihi gets more of your attention and tells you right away when you are doing wrong. The Mana feels less "different" and seems to be more tolerant. If I really put everythin behind the pull, I sometime wonder with the Konihi 84 if I am not somewhat slipping a little bit, with the Mana 90 and I am quite sure that I am not by a long shot...

Cheers,

Luc
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:34:33 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 08:22:34 AM »
I've discovered the Mana works better for me with a Xtuf(S) shaft. Lots more catch. Probably the delay clears the bubbles.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal