Author Topic: Xero Shoes  (Read 7283 times)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Xero Shoes
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:07:12 PM »
Does anyone here wear Xero Shoes, or had the opportunity to try them?

They float, they're light, they're open, they can fold and fit into a pocket. They're meant for the barefoot running crowd, but SUP was mentioned once, briefly, on their site blog which is why I believe they turned up in search results for a SUP sandal:

http://xeroshoes.com/barefoot-shoes/stand-up-paddle-boarding-sandals/

The MSRP seems very high for what they are, but maybe not when compared to other brands like Teva and Luna.

“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Xero Shoes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »
I'd discovered XeroShoes a few years ago thinking they'd be great for SUP. I got free pair to demo, so I gave them a chance. Unfortunately for me the Cloud/Venture models I found to be SUPER uncomfortable and in my experience they actually made transporting or portaging even worse than being barefoot.

I found the rubber to be too hard against the balls of my heels and if I tried using them while SUPing, my heels were killing me in minutes. They're basically replacement boot soles modified into sandals, so the rubber material is firmer for durability. They're not specially engineered with any cushion or support, however the Venture model has a softer material placed under the forefoot, but imo it's more for grip and ventilation than cushion since it's so thin.

For transporting and portages, the straps and thong design bit into my feet and did not offer any additional support, especially when walking down a slope or hill or on rocks. I can't imagine trail running in these, but to each his own.

If I'd were to consider them again, I'd only look at their newer Z-Trek or Trail model. I like that strap design WAY better! Their new Z-Trail looks to have some added cushion and possible support.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:42:15 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 07:43:04 AM »
I made the move to barefoot/minimalist shoes a few years ago, and it's hard to find zero drop shoes of any kind for less than $100 (regular price), so I'll definitely be checking these out! Right now I wear a worn out pair of New Balance Minimus trail shoes while SUPing, but the Ztrek lights look like a GREAT option for summer wear, or even with neoprene booties in the winter! Thanks for posting these, I'll post what I think when I get a chance to try them out.
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »
For transporting and portages, the straps and thong design bit into my feet and did not offer any additional support, especially when walking down a slope or hill or on rocks. I can't imagine trail running in these, but to each his own.

Thanks for the info 2Rivers.This kills Xero Shoes for me.  :(

I prefer to be barefoot, but there are way too many rocks and old fishing hooks in the launch ramp area where I paddle to take the risk. H2O Mox Sox by SPZ worked well enough for a time, but the drop in the water level looks to be exposing more rocks. Strangely, the sox handled a piece of broken glass I stepped on just fine—it didn't hurt, and it didn't cut through the sole material—but not 10 minutes later I stepped on a tiny pebble with my heel and saw stars. I took that as a sign that I am due a SUP footwear upgrade. I would like said footwear to be as minimalist as possible, but blunting the pain of stepping on small rocks is a required feature.

I made the move to barefoot/minimalist shoes a few years ago, and it's hard to find zero drop shoes of any kind for less than $100 (regular price), so I'll definitely be checking these out! Right now I wear a worn out pair of New Balance Minimus trail shoes while SUPing, but the Ztrek lights look like a GREAT option for summer wear, or even with neoprene booties in the winter! Thanks for posting these, I'll post what I think when I get a chance to try them out.

Please do share your experience of them.  :)
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
We got the Maiori years ago and they still work a charm.  Used them yesterday in fact - and can scramble over rocks and such with nary a worry.  As well they allow excellent proprioception as they are only around 4 mm thick.  But seems they have been discontinued - and replaced with another water shoe.  May work as well - but cannot confirm firsthand.

Looks to be $80 USD.

https://www.rei.com/product/846889/vibram-fivefingers-maiori-water-shoes-mens

http://us.vibram.com/shop/fivefingers/men/watersports/signa---mens/M02.html?dwvar_M02_color=Black%20%2F%20Yellow#start=1

For more warmth and protection we go with thicker soled neoprene booties - and add neoprene socks as well.  Used that today and that combo worked a charm to keep my feet warm and dry launching from our dock.  Our waters are still fairly nippy - so toasty feet - are very happy feet.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Xero Shoes
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
I have both the Xero Z trail and Z trek. Haven't worn either yet for SUP, just during transport. I suspect the Z trek will have better proprioception on the board as its a bit thinner than the Z trail which I use for everywhere sandals. These are both fairly new designs that are a significant improvement over the originals which I got rid of awhile back. Straps are fine and very comfortable and pretty adjustable. I'll try out my Z trek next time I'm on the water this week

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »
I prefer to be barefoot, but there are way too many rocks and old fishing hooks in the launch ramp area where I paddle to take the risk. H2O Mox Sox by SPZ worked well enough for a time, but the drop in the water level looks to be exposing more rocks. Strangely, the sox handled a piece of broken glass I stepped on just fine—it didn't hurt, and it didn't cut through the sole material—but not 10 minutes later I stepped on a tiny pebble with my heel and saw stars. I took that as a sign that I am due a SUP footwear upgrade. I would like said footwear to be as minimalist as possible, but blunting the pain of stepping on small rocks is a required feature.

Since you're needing some protection from rocks, their newest addition called the Z-Trail looks to be the perfect model. It's actually lighter than the Z-Trek, it has more cushion and protection (10mm sole vs 5.5), and yet it's still packable (rolls up). I have some sandals that have a similar Z strap design (Chaco&Source) and I can confirm that they offer WAY better support and comfort than the skinny cord straps.
Right now I've been really happy with the Vibram Signa shoes, but I think I'm going to order the Z-Trail for some added comfort underfoot. The Signas are thin, almost sock-like, which is great for feel and protection from hot or rough ground, but rocks and sharps are no match.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
Another brand that's similar to Xero is Bedrock Sandals. I like their iteration of the thong design much better and the straps are flat and wide vs. the cord straps and they have a soft bungi cord in between the toe. They offer soles in 7, 9, 11, and 14mm, so you can get the perfect thinness to protection ratio for your needs. Vibram rubber soles are a big plus too! The Sincline is closest to the Z-Tail in comparison and it rolls up/packs away the same.
https://bedrocksandals.com

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:39 PM »

Thanks for the info 2Rivers.This kills Xero Shoes for me.  :(

Please do share your experience of them.  :)
OK, got the Ztrek in today and wore them on the sup right away. If you like lightweight, "barefoot" style sandals that have straps like Teva and Chaco, you are gonna LOVE these beauties! The Ztrek are thinner than ZTrail, but very similar and they are amazing.

I walk through rocks & sand to get to deep enough water to launch, and the ZTrek sandals were perfect. Not heavy, didn't collect lots of sand & debris, comfortable as bare feet on the deck, and great for proprioception as mentioned.

I'll be getting the ZTrail models that float, as well as the cloud Huaracha style. After asking the owners of Xero if they plan to make a covered model like Sanuk sandals, they said to keep an eye out around September for that. I'm sold on their products lock, stock, and two smoking barrels :-)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:05:56 PM by Remickulous »

Love is never wasted

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 02:58:23 AM »
   wonder if your heels and balls of feet would slide back and forth with the z trail when used in the water.  saw a vid on youtube of a guy wearing them in the mud and neither heel nor ball stayed in place.  looked dangerous.  mud is slicker than water, sure, but if they don't stay on tight n snug, they sure wouldn't work for me on a sup.  anyone know?

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
   wonder if your heels and balls of feet would slide back and forth with the z trail when used in the water.  saw a vid on youtube of a guy wearing them in the mud and neither heel nor ball stayed in place.  looked dangerous.  mud is slicker than water, sure, but if they don't stay on tight n snug, they sure wouldn't work for me on a sup.  anyone know?

The Xero sandals are meant to be like a thick skin loosely attached to the bottom of your feet for (all but) barefoot running. That said, the ZTrek and ZTrail have the same kind of heel cup and surface texture that held my feet very securely as I paddled a few miles last night on the bay.

If you're not used to barefoot running/walking, the Xero shoes will seem odd. No support, no cushion, just a very durable, thin sheet of rubber attached to your feet that allows your feet to splay out naturally. They aren't meant to fit snug, quite the opposite. Because the soles are so thin, you feel every pebble under your feet, allowing you to adjust your gait & foot pressure naturally (proprioception).

If you're not familiar with barefoot running and huarachas, check out "Born to Run" about the Tarahumara indians in Mexico. All Xero shoes are just a modern take on the makeshift sandals (huaraches) they use to protect their feet over miles & miles of running through mountainous terrain.

Bottom line - if you want/need snug fitting shoes with support and cushion, Xero products aren't going to make you happy. But if you want/need a piece of rubber strapped to the bottom of your feet to give you "barefoot" freedom, these are the bestest I've seen.

Love is never wasted

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:07:12 PM »
I made the transitions to barefoot several years back, and love it.  If I remember correctly the Xero shoes peoples were some of the first huarache makers and I greatly appreciate their commitment to minimalist and sticking with as it can be hard to find good barefoot/minimalist shoes.  I tried one of their string kits and found it challenging to get them to stay firmly in place and feel comfortable, the wider straps work much better for me (I had a pair from anther company that is no longer in business). 

For me reef walkers are the best option for SUS in warm water.   Although they haven't stopped me from getting urchin spines in my feet.

Body Glove makes/made(?) some 3 toed water shoes that I like, I ran a tuff mudder in them on rocky terrain with no problems, and then a couple weeks later on a short run around home I bruised my heel on a rock.

Currently my favorite ultra minimal sandal is the vivobarefoot Ulysses, I really like the design and simplicity and they seem to be holding up well.

I remember seeing the footage (pun intended) from the Endless Summer 2 of the Fijian kid walking barefoot on the reef while Wingnut and Pat were wearing reef walkers.  So I suspect that if we keep walking barefoot our feet will adapt and we will be able to walk barefoot on just about anything.

Also I was just thinking last night how I don't seem to stub my toe as often as I used to, maybe going barefoot makes us more aware/in tune with where we step?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 01:51:05 PM »

I remember seeing the footage (pun intended) from the Endless Summer 2 of the Fijian kid walking barefoot on the reef while Wingnut and Pat were wearing reef walkers.  So I suspect that if we keep walking barefoot our feet will adapt and we will be able to walk barefoot on just about anything.

A friend of mine joined the Peace Corp after college in the mid 80's. He was working in jungles and all the natives were barefoot. He decided to get tough and go barefoot. He grew up at the beach, so he wasn't a complete tender foot. After about 4 months his feet were very tough, but he got an infection in his foot from something that plagues him to this day.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 05:21:32 PM »
Wore my Z Treks on last couple of paddles and they were perfect. Light, good feel, no negative impact on stance, movement, no need to worry about where to stash them once I'm on the board. I may be paddling on a slow river where it's a bit rockier to launch so will try the Z Trails there.

StinkBait

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
I am a serious Chaco sandal fan, I frigging love my Chaco's! But they are a bit heavy and I think the aggressive sole on my Chaco's might tear up the deck of my iSup, now I read this thread and holey chit, those Xero sandals resemble Chaco's, but look wayyyyyyyyyyyy lighter!

I'm going to research the Xero sandals a bit more and most likely buy a pair just for use with my iSup, I paddle board in rocky areas and around oyster beds, I live in South Florida.

This forum is putting a whooping on my wallet,lol!  ;D 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal