Author Topic: Leash in the way  (Read 4941 times)

JeffG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Leash in the way
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:41:19 AM »
Every time I practice pivot turns I am stepping on my leash.  Major annoyance.  The only thing I can think of to remedy this problem is connecting my leash to my inflatable pfd belt.  Would this help?  Any other ideas?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash in the way
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:01:04 AM »
Yup. Waist leash is the answer, what's the question? Other than looking stupid to people who haven't tried it, I haven't found a single negative aspect. When I first started using them I thought it was clumsy to get back on the board--easier to get the leash in the way. Solution? Ignore the problem. Don't fiddle and try to correct. Get back on the board and stand up, the leash takes care of itself.  For race boards/downwind you want a coiled leash, and perhaps a bit shorter than you're used to using. It has to stretch further, but the tension doesn't distract you like it does with a calf or ankle. It just keeps the leash totally off the board and out of the water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:02:55 AM »
I’m sure you’ll hear from the waist belt crew.

I do have another simple solution to offer you: just step on it and get used to it. I have a 14’ DW board with the leash plug really far forward (at least a foot from the rear of board - coz the rear get really fine). So it happens to me all the time. Freaked me out at first, really didn’t like the feeling. But now I just got used to it. I know I’m having a good DWer when my foot is literally on the leash plug a lot. So I can even now say it feels great!

My leash plug being a bit far forward I have shortened my coils by zip-locking a few of them together. A short coil leash does reduce the stepping on it somewhat.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:05:11 AM by yugi »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 11:26:20 AM »
Definitely helps and works to connect your leash to your inflatable PDF belt.  No stepping on - or tripping hazard at all.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
So the choice is :
A. Get the leash out of the way and get some other benefits.
B. Get used to stepping on it.

Hmmm. Which one to choose...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »
^ as bad as it sounds

B) could be worded; Do nothing. There really is a lot to be said for that, in a zen kind of way. Especially if you are lazy. And, hey, it works.

There is an extra advantage of waist belt is when doing a walk bit in a technical race I presume it's a lot less in the way.

So knowing I have a couple of extra kite leash quick releases and I wear a waist pack anyway I should try this waist stuff out. I even have a cool idea on a lightweight coil. To hell with what I look like. At least I'll be the first around here. There's always that.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
Just make a simple loop with strong lightweight cord - and attach the QR to that.  Works a treat and you know exactly where it is without looking.

Does look very dorky with the waist belt leash - but the system works.  Since on flat the chances of falling are virtually nil - we go the normal calf leash - because esthetics is everything in these parts.  Haha.

When doing stepping maneuvers - a waist connection really does work a charm.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:33 AM »
There is one other choice that nobody mentioned. Stop doing pivot turns.  ;D
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 06:17:14 AM »
^ as bad as it sounds

B) could be worded; Do nothing. There really is a lot to be said for that, in a zen kind of way. Especially if you are lazy. And, hey, it works.

There is an extra advantage of waist belt is when doing a walk bit in a technical race I presume it's a lot less in the way.

So knowing I have a couple of extra kite leash quick releases and I wear a waist pack anyway I should try this waist stuff out. I even have a cool idea on a lightweight coil. To hell with what I look like. At least I'll be the first around here. There's always that.

The best thing you'll hear is that you look like you have a tail. Gets a lot more scatological after that.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 06:46:39 AM »
I like the waist leash concept but I don't want to bet my life on the mickymouse buckle on my waist inflatable PFD. I want a more substantial attachment point, as in a dedicated waist belt made for that purpose.

That last thing I want is to see my board tumbling down wind (like DJ's video, the time he didn't wear a leash) because I attached my leash to something that was never designed for that kind of dynamic load.

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »
I like the waist leash concept but I don't want to bet my life on the mickymouse buckle on my waist inflatable PFD. I want a more substantial attachment point, as in a dedicated waist belt made for that purpose.

That last thing I want is to see my board tumbling down wind (like DJ's video, the time he didn't wear a leash) because I attached my leash to something that was never designed for that kind of dynamic load.

agree 100%

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »

Yup.  And that's why you get a dedicated waist leash.  I don't think anyone's talking about just attaching it to your pfd.  You're right, that would be very unwise.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »
So the choice is :

That's bullshit Bill.  I keep waiting for you and your crew to come up with a cordless leash. Maybe some magnetic wizardry that uses GPS and cloud-based AI?   ;-)
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
So the choice is :

That's bullshit Bill.  I keep waiting for you and your crew to come up with a cordless leash. Maybe some magnetic wizardry that uses GPS and cloud-based AI?   ;-)

after that, I think he should design a shaft-less paddle.  I'm tired of this heavy carbon fiber...
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »