Author Topic: 2016 Naish Javelin - 14ft's  (Read 4476 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2016 Naish Javelin - 14ft's
« on: June 18, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
Anyone using any of the 2016 14ft javelins ? Any thoughts ? I used one briefly on the sea today and initially liked it but wondered if they were any good on flat waters. Are their features dated ?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Naish Javelin - 14ft's
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »
which one?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:06:23 AM »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:07:35 AM »
Normal Javelin or Maliko Javelin?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:26:40 AM »
Normal Javelin or Maliko Javelin?

Normal.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »
Well, this question didn't provoke anything of much use, did it? Is there no-one out there who wants to defend this board, because the usual conclusion if no-one speaks up is that a board isn't favoured.

I tried the 2015 Jav 14x28 and wasn't particularly impressed. It wasn't that I found anything particularly wrong, I just didn't find anything that was particularly remarkable about it. Although it did downwind fairly well. I was surprised at how heavy the construction was. But it felt like too much board for me, so maybe the 26" wide one would have been different. And maybe the 2016 version is different. And maybe it's just a decent all-rounder rather than outstanding in any way, and there's nothing much wrong with that.

Opinions?

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 12:30:12 PM »
Not sure if this will be helpful or not… I owned both the 2015 26" wide and 28".  Got them through a connection with Gerry Lopez, so no way could I afford them at retail.
I thought the 28" wide would be a good DW board, but it ended up being slower than my Bullet V2 so I sold it.
The 26" wide was incredibly stable and at that time the narrowest race board I'd owned.  But it wasn't particularly fast in flat water according to my GPS data. So I sold it.

Flash forward to this year and one of the fastest guys in Washington/Oregon is racing on the 2016 thats 24" wide… not sure what got changed other than width in the design.  He is a big guy, 200lbs and 6'3"?  He has won both races that I've gone up against him at.

He said he tested many 14' race boards at the Big Winds demo this spring and this 24" wide board was the fastest, according to his GPS, and the 26" wide was the 2nd fastest.  The close 3rd place board was the 25" wide Allstar (which I'm racing.)

I think the Javs are still one of the best looking boards out there…. Next to my Allstar (-:
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 02:01:49 PM »
I’ve tried the 2016 Maliko x26. It’s light, like the 2014 Jav. 10.5 kg.

I find it amazingly fast on flats. Wonderfully stable (I do like planing shape hulls) in chop and, of course, picks up the minutest bump on downwinds. Very stable out back for pivot tumours and really easy to walk up and down on. My only, slight, -ve to say about is it isn’t the easiest board to turn (says the buy with a DW board with a LOT of kick in the tail). It more of a WalkBackAndPivotIt kind of turner. But the very parallel outline which makes it so stable would predict that.

I’m not a GPS’er and I haven’t “buddy tested” it against another board side by side so it’s really impressions. I have ridden it back to back with a round hulled 14’ x26 current race board and I find the Jav Maliko much faster on flats. It just doesn't seem to have a top end speed and continues to fly faster and faster the harder one paddles.

Hull shape isn’t that far off from a normal Jav I think. Just a tad more rocker and less tuned for flats.

Funny how everyone has such different impressions.

Oh, and from the side I find it an absolute beauty. I love low profile boards. It will not have the side windage an AllStar or even NSP has so will obviously be better in sidewind sections.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:54:29 PM by yugi »

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 11:54:08 PM »
Not sure if this will be helpful or not… I owned both the 2015 26" wide and 28".  Got them through a connection with Gerry Lopez, so no way could I afford them at retail.
I thought the 28" wide would be a good DW board, but it ended up being slower than my Bullet V2 so I sold it.
The 26" wide was incredibly stable and at that time the narrowest race board I'd owned.  But it wasn't particularly fast in flat water according to my GPS data. So I sold it.

Flash forward to this year and one of the fastest guys in Washington/Oregon is racing on the 2016 thats 24" wide… not sure what got changed other than width in the design.  He is a big guy, 200lbs and 6'3"?  He has won both races that I've gone up against him at.

He said he tested many 14' race boards at the Big Winds demo this spring and this 24" wide board was the fastest, according to his GPS, and the 26" wide was the 2nd fastest.  The close 3rd place board was the 25" wide Allstar (which I'm racing.)

I think the Javs are still one of the best looking boards out there…. Next to my Allstar (-:

That's interesting. I haven't historically considered the javelins as it looked too hard to engage the nose properly to improve its waterline so I thought flatter conditions would be hard slog with the water being pushed underneath and well behind the nose. I don't use pro use as any kind of evidence (it could easily be 'in spite of' rather than 'because of') but its interesting that the board won the lost mills 200m sprint race a year or two back.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:50:57 AM by ukgm »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal