Author Topic: jimmy lewis stun gun!  (Read 14429 times)

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: jimmy lewis stun gun!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:50:57 PM »
I rode it as a quad for a little while and didn't really get a sense of it.  Maybe I'll go back to it for this next swell were getting on thursday.

Will report back!

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 08:56:51 PM »
I just got the 9'2 Stun Gun a month ago.  Been on it 3x in about a foot overhead.  I'm 6'4", 225 lbs.  Great on the wave.  Does everything well, but having trouble with stability in between sets.  Normally pretty choppy where I live.  Thought I was advanced, but only getting 3 waves a session.  Any learning curve advice for a bigger guy or should I move to the 9'7?

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »
My pal is around 6'1 and 200# and he's on the 9 7. I tried his before I got the 9 2. I'm 5 8/155#. At 30.25 wide, the 9 2 feels reasonable even when it starts getting choppy but that is for me. I can see where a bigger guy might want a little bit more size on the board. It would be worth a try for you if you have the option.

I thought the 9 7 surfed really nice but at my size, it was the 8 7 or 9 2 and I settled on the 9 2 mainly for the additional speed potential when getting into some of our bigger swells. I have no regrets with it.

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
Big, I was out today on my 9'2" in wind and chop and it was work but doable.  But I'm 185.  I think the 9'7" might be better for you if you are in similar conditions often.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:39:11 PM »
imo, wind and chop will make any board tricky but especially shapes like this.
Still, after just 2 weeks it feels like it is coming along.
Good paddling technique seems to be key

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »
Big, I was out today on my 9'2" in wind and chop and it was work but doable.  But I'm 185.  I think the 9'7" might be better for you if you are in similar conditions often.
I'll give it a few more rounds and maybe some bigger side bites for stability.  It just surfs so well when I'm on the wave..but yeah, the 9'7 might be the ticket especially in bigger waves.

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 03:40:15 PM »
i got the 9'7", it rocks! it is perfect for me 6'2" 210lbs. i have taken it out in soupy windy conditions and i can balance, but it takes some energy, in smooth water it is super stable. i did demo the smaller and larger 10' 2" and the 9'7" is just right. i have only one day with shoulder to head and it rips, and amazingly i can paddle into waist to knee small ones too. cant wait for some large winter swells. it came with a longish middle fin, so i got a GL set and it has loosened right up.

i also got the 12' starboard big easy, it has been super fun in waist to ankle waves (and handles the occasional shoulder high), learning to cross step, it rounds out my quiver.
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »
I've never heard of a 10'2 Stun Gun. Is that something new?

I ran GL-2 quads on my Stun Gun and loved them.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:35:18 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »
101 surf sports in San Rafael has them, he said they are not in any catalogue yet...............
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »
Went out the other day on my buddies custom 8'5 x 28 1/2" board.  Fell about a hundred times so I was sore for about three days afterward.  About a week ago, went out again on my 9'2 Stun Gun.  I added some big Controller sidebites for stability and an 8" center.  All of a sudden the 9'2 is not feeling so unstable any more.  Thinking I'll keep working on it because it really is magic on a wave.  Will use the Stun Gun for shoulder to 2x overhead, then a bigger board for when it gets bigger.

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Big-- I had the same experience today.. Was surfing head high plus glassy reefbreak on my 9'2" SG and tried my buddy's 8'4"x29, which is probably like 110 liters.  All of a sudden catching waves was hard, and falling over was easy.   :P 

Your idea of using bigger fins while you get used to the board could be a good one.  Once you are super comfortable, put a regular surfboard tri-fin set in it.  It rips!

BTW, I'm 185-190 so you riding the 9'2" is like me riding my buddy's 8'4."  Kudos for keeping at it.  It really is a great board.

And if you are surfing waves bigger than Double Overhead on a SUP, more power to you.  Jimmy has the Bombora, which Kealii Mamala rides at Jaws.  Just Sayin'

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 12:15:52 PM »
Hey Surfshaver.  Good idea on the Bombora.  I'd love to try the 10'6 one, but I'd probably only use it 5 times a year.  As a go to board for my weight, what do you think biggest the 9'7 SG could handle?  25 foot faces?  Seems you can rely on solid construction with the JL boards.  I broke a few boards (not JL) last winter that surfed well, but weren't strong enough for bigger waves.

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 01:27:03 PM »
Big, I haven't had the opportunity to get the Stun Gun out in waves of that size, but I imagine it would do fine.  Those soft rails seem to grip really well and smooth out the ride.  The only downside I could see at all is that the board has plenty of curve in the planshape and maybe you'd want straighter rails to maximize speed to make big sections on a 20 foot wave.  I'd email Jimmy or Marlon and ask them how big people go on the SG.  I'm guessing pretty big.

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »
Surfshaver,
Emailed Jimmy's website.  Looking forward to talking to them.  I agree on the straighter rails for speed on the bigger stuff.  Always tricky finding a bigger wave board. 
On smaller waves though, had 3 days of 1-2 feet overhead to use my 9'2".  Super clean barrels.  I've have gotten used to the stability using big fins, so I'm glad I kept on working on it.  Will move to a smaller 7" center fin next time out to loosen it up (and then keep making it smaller).  Handles vertical moves pretty well and it has the right amount of rocker so you don't pearl.  Very smooth, controlled, and predictable on the drop.  One of the funner boards I've used.

Big Windy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
Surfsaver,
Spoke to Marlon about bigger wave options: Stun Gun / Bombora etc.  He was super helpful.  Seems the 9'7 Stun Gun can handle some serious waves, but has more flexibility than a pure gun.  Need to get rid of some of my other boards to make room for a new purchase.  Thanks for all the help.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal