Author Topic: A Little Peyote Never Hurt Anyone  (Read 2771 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
A Little Peyote Never Hurt Anyone
« on: June 16, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »
Concluding the slowest engine build in history--or at least my personal record for blundering slowly along. What started as a simple refresh of the bearings and such a month and a half ago turned into tearing apart a perfectly fine, freshly rebuilt stock motor for it's block. Then I put it all back together with race bits. Usually I could do this all in a day. I've really lost it. Timing the cam--a fifteen minute job, took two days. But here's the motor going back into Peyote. Should be ready for the july races.

I've done this stuff with a hangover in the paddock of a track three thousand miles from home with a pipe tripod and a comealong to pull the motor and got it all done in a day. I guess I'm just out of practice. Spent a lot of time taking things back apart that I didn't do right the first time.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 10:04:28 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A Little Peyote Never Hurt Anyone
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »
if the zone had the green thumb thing I would give you the green thumb seal of approval for all that technology  :)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:12:57 AM »
Geez...you are getting old.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:22:47 AM »
The question is... is it perfect?

If it is you saved time. Coz going slow and getting it right saves you time and energy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »
I spent today (other than while I was having a pissing match with Eagle) getting Nero ready for the haul to the races, finishing the tuning on Peyote, and getting everything loaded.

After all that a little libation seemed in order.

Then I went back into the shop and spot welded 104 18650 LiPo batteries into a 13S 8P  48V 4AH battery for my mountain bike. I'm going to build two of them to hot swap. The case I built could actually hold 13s 15p 7.5AH, and I think I might do that for the second battery. still feeling my way with this stuff. The holder fits perfectly in the bottom V of the frame. The spot welding is a bit of a PIA but better than soldering all those connections.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:27:54 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »
...and you still make time for Gorge runs!   Good show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 07:24:07 AM »
Didn't do a run yesterday, and I feel it this morning.

With Peyote done it's time to get rolling on a geezer foil.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
Holy smokes, first time I've seen pics with the car actually in the trailer.  That's one tight fit there.  :o

Now I understand why the car's not painted....wouldn't fit in the trailer.   ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 08:32:56 PM »
Peyote did really well in the Portland Historics this weekend. I didn't manage to get it all back together and tuned until Friday evening, so I missed the first day of qualifications and racing. Saturaday I started the first race from the back of the grid, but Peyote ran sweetly, and I made my way through the pack. I finally passed a very well driven Lotus 17 near the front. I thought there was one more car to go--I thought I saw a blue car in front of the Lotus, so I pushed hard but didn't run the leader down. Turned out there was no blue car, I was chasing a phantom. Finished first.

The second race I declined the pole position and started in the back. There were some fast cars, well driven in the front, but Peyote has a big advantage in tires and brakes. Not so much in power or weight. A bit fat at 1750 pounds and a little underpowered at 150hp--a lot like it's driver. And we're almost the same age--I'm twelve years older.

I had a bit of a miss that was plagueing me coming out of the faster corners, so I was concentrating on getting the engine to run clean while I moved up to about fifth. I generally check my brakes after high speed turns since the front axles flex a little which allows the disks tp push the pads back. I was distracted by the miss and didn't do it.  Coming into the chicane I rolled onto the brake and the pedal went straight to the floor, with three cars in front of me lining up for the hard turn. I pumped the brake once and got pressure, but it was too late, so I locked it up a bit, and tried to slip past everyone, blowing the chicane. Didn't quite make it, I clipped the nose of a Lotus 23. Painful. I like the current driver, but worse yet is that the previous owner was a great guy who passed away few years ago whom I greatly respected. Smacking his beloved car was painful. Just a little whack, scraped the fiberglass and made two small cracks, but any contact in Vintage racing demands an immediate visit to the hot pits to talk to the stewards. So I did, and confessed to my crime. They judged it a racing accident, my fault but no penalty. I could have continued to race, but I elected to pit the car.

Sunday there was just one race. Since I DNF'ed I went to the back legitimately rather than just electing to. It threatened rain all morning, but the single race for my class was at 2:15 and it was sunny and warm. My back was killing me from a week spent pulling the engine to fix the oil leaks. I moved through the pack a little more judiciously than normal, but soon found myself with just one car to pass--a a home-built special like Peyote, though far prettier, with a hefty american V8 for power. He was really fast down the strights, so I had to pass him early in the infield turns and then get a gap or he'd just overtake me in the straights. I got enough, and sealed the deal by getting perhaps my best line ever though turn 7, which still puzzles me after many years of driving that track. So I won.

Peyote is just a great car. Looks like hell, but goes like stink.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:34:44 PM by PonoBill »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 08:41:21 PM »
Life in the fast lane. Pedal to metal Bill.......even if it is the brake pedal.  ::)
Well done.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal