Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder Review  (Read 29307 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder Review
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 10:24:44 AM »
Yeah, sure, some inland waters are big and exposed enough to be very windy and choppy. But I'm guessing that these aren't waters where races are held every weekend. In the UK at least, most racing goes on in protected waters because of safety issues and the vagaries of the weather. In those conditions, you can't really beat a cutting bow if you want to win. But of course, if you aren't racing, then boards like the Sidewinder, Naish Maliko etc are often more pleasurable to paddle, and a more practical proposition.

I was very impressed with the Sidewinder, and was surprised how fast it was in pure fłat water. Excellent build quality at a good price too.
I'm beginning to thinks that's not the whole picture though. It's not the waters - its the relative importance of the race start and the problems that throws up. The biggest races in the UK are seeing real slop thrown around by the boards and unless you're out and clear from the gun, the all water boards might cope better in the initial chaos. Put simply, go for an optimised flatwater board and you might find the first 10-20 minutes unforgiving or be left too far back.... and just as the key draft trains are being established. Yes, a flatwater board with a piercing bow is faster in raw terms but very few races over here are truly flatwater now and this might get worse as race field sizes increase. FWIW, I haven't finalised my race board for next year (as i'm returning to mainly 14ft racing) yet but my current feeling is that I'm going to take a conservative view on board choice this time.

Spoken like a guy who has been in some of that race slop!

Agree.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »
Nah, not really mate. A good cutting bow pretty much can slice through anything, which is why boats don't all have boof noses.

Boats don't have to worry too much as they have a daggerboard and a fairly high level of forces involved. The situation isn't even remotely similar. The slop you'll get in a race with a 150 paddler start (which is what you get at the Head of the Dart event now) sees huge cross slop and wake at broad angles and a cutting bow isn't slicing through that - it's getting slapped across its nose like a kipper in a punch and judy show.

Don't get me wrong, cutting noses have their place and they are fast but if you're not going to be at the very front of the field you might want to shop around and play the averages.

This all said, I tested both the 2017 flatwater Javelin last weekend and the Maliko and liked both of them. I thought the flatwater nose was awesome but it might not be what I opt for.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
Is there really a flex problem with Sidewinder Carbon model? I might order one soon, good to know.

I don't know if it was by design, because I have the hugest respect for Jimmy Lewis board builds, but 2016 sidewinders were oddly flexy.

Anyone know if that changes for 2017?

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »
I paddled the Sidewinder now about 500 km on rivers and lakes and participated in six races (19km, 10km, 10km, 14km, 8km, 8km).
It is not a leaderboard, at least not on pure flat water. This is excellent in draft, if you can do it well (I can't but an very experienced paddler did this and told it to me).
It is super stable even if 130 paddlers start at the same time. I did not fall into the water at any race. And I had a lot of waves because I'm not the fastest paddler. ;-)
It is flexible, but I could still see no disadvantage about this.
With 202 lbs and 6'3 I'm faster on this board than with a real flat water raceboard.
So for beginners it is a very nice board to get first race experience.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »
Regarding the flex issue I got some answers. Apparently the first batch was flexy because the board was designed for mild down winds but later Jimmy decided to stiffen it based on the rider input.

In 2017 a white color is coming, that is the only change. The rest of of the specs will be same as in 2016. I am waiting for the price information from the European distributor in Italy. He has a 2016 25 wide demo version model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 01:20:20 PM »
This all said, I tested both the 2017 flatwater Javelin last weekend and the Maliko and liked both of them. I thought the flatwater nose was awesome but it might not be what I opt for.
Interesting. How much slower was the Maliko than the Javelin in pure flat water?

I'm guessing that a 26" wide Jav would still be slightly faster than a 24" wide Maliko in pure flat water.

It would be great if the Maliko is as good as the Sidewinder in flat water. Shame it will be quite a bit more expensive though, probably.

A light colour Sidewinder is a good idea.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
Any notable differences in flex between the signature and carbon construction? I don't mind a small amount of flex to help with damping in rough water, but I really don't want much more flex than I can feel on my Glide GS now, which has just a bit of give to it.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 12:34:29 AM »
Interesting. How much slower was the Maliko than the Javelin in pure flat water?

I'm guessing that a 26" wide Jav would still be slightly faster than a 24" wide Maliko in pure flat water.

It would be great if the Maliko is as good as the Sidewinder in flat water. Shame it will be quite a bit more expensive though, probably.

To be honest, I wasn't able to generate the quality of  data that I'd be happy with in the time I had them for. My aim at the time was to get more feel for potential 2017 board options so useability and handling were my first priority when paddling in harbour/estuary conditions. The Maliko seemed quicker than I was expecting and I liked its user friendliness. The flatwater Jav I frankly need more time on to be sure just how fast or not it is and whether its worthwhile to opt for it. Either way, at 95kgs I'd be on the 26 width - I tried a 24 and didn't like it. (Note: I do have a formal association with Naish at the moment).

I don't know about the US but I'm also very aware now that flatwater specific boards are harder to sell on in the UK now and this problem is being compounded by team riders flooding the limited market that does exist with their own boards every year which depreciates the secondhand market badly. If you want to replace your boards regularly, its worth considering the residual value and ease of moving on and in my experience, all round boards seem to move on relatively easily.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:58:12 AM by ukgm »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 02:18:33 AM »
…
I don't know about the US but I'm also very aware now that flatwater specific boards are harder to sell on in the UK now and this problem is being compounded by team riders flooding the limited market that does exist with their own boards every year which depreciates the secondhand market badly.
…

That just shows how tiny the market is for high performance race boards. I don’t see that sector is set to grow a lot either.

…
I’m guessing that a 26" wide Jav would still be slightly faster than a 24" wide Maliko in pure flat water.
…

Good question. I’d be interested in some real data feedback. I would have guessed the opposite. The Maliko is so easy to ride on it can easily be ridden in 24” in non-rad conditions.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 02:41:54 AM »

Good question. I’d be interested in some real data feedback. I would have guessed the opposite. The Maliko is so easy to ride on it can easily be ridden in 24” in non-rad conditions.

I found the 24 just a little too low in volume for my 95kgs so its not an option. Yes, it floats but I just sensed that I was sinking the board a little too far away from its intended waterline.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 05:29:51 AM »
Well the fact that the Maliko wasn't very obviously slower than the Hav in mild conditions bodes well for it. Hopefully I'll get to try one this weekend. I'm not sure whether to get a Sidewinder or a Maliko (or a custom).

The 2017 Mistral Equinox might be worth considering as well. The 2016 one was fast in most conditions as long as you like a dug-out.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 05:56:37 AM »

The 2017 Mistral Equinox might be worth considering as well. The 2016 one was fast in most conditions as long as you like a dug-out.

Yep, I had a go of one of those back in June (as they are very popular round where I am). It has a very rolling feel to it (like an Ace) but that's no surprise as that's what it was based on. I prefer something with a high level of primary stability myself but in the right hands it performs incredibly well.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 08:44:03 AM »
It's not a rolly as the Ace, and is generally easier to handle. In flat water it is rather pleasant and it is a shade faster than the Ace I think. But the Ace and similar raceboards aren't really designed for paddling pleasure IMO. They are designed for winning, and in the right conditions they are brutally effective at it. Having an Ace has made me a better paddler, much as it has tortured me along the way.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2016, 09:20:24 AM »
It's not a rolly as the Ace, and is generally easier to handle. In flat water it is rather pleasant and it is a shade faster than the Ace I think. But the Ace and similar raceboards aren't really designed for paddling pleasure IMO. They are designed for winning, and in the right conditions they are brutally effective at it. Having an Ace has made me a better paddler, much as it has tortured me along the way.

Mistrals decision to square of the tail slightly really helped it (I'm good friends of the paddler that was helping develop it) and its proving popular round here as it offers all round water capability but a narrow width and volume too which serves it well on the flat. It's proving a viable racing option for a lot of the bigger guys round here that may have been limited to wider widths before just to get the volume they needed.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:29:38 AM by ukgm »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »
Yes, I was impressed. The only thing is didn't do well was surf. The Sidewinder and Vapor surf much better - even the Ace. I'm surprised we don't hear more about the Mistral boards considering the international race successes that have been had on them, and the fact that they will be just what some people are looking for. The prices are a bit cheaper than some of the main brands too. If you like the Ace but want something with more friendly handling for a given width, then IMO the Equinox is great as an all-rounder race board. As with the Ace, it's for people who are pretty serious about their paddling though. (PS: I now own the carbon Ace that belonged to the friend I suspect you were referring to...)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard